1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Hemrajani?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, Aug 23, 2013.

1. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

The process is standard HK tailor (at least when using Hemrajani from DC, where I live). You make an appointment to see the traveling tailors in a hotel room; you wear your best-fitting example garments; they measure you, the garments, and take photos of posture; and you select fabrics from a large selection and instruct on the detailing, cut, features that you want. As many will agree, Hemrajani is sort of in-between MTM and bespoke--the garment is delivered in a completed state as with MTM, but they don't seem to be limited by any stock patterns, and can accomodate almost any fit or styling request you have.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Thanks. When I can afford it, I would like to try them for a coat. They make my shirts and I've been happy with them so far, though we are still dialing in finer points (mostly my working to a pattern that I am happy with). They are quite accommodating of how I want my shirts done. I did stop by their home office and talked to Rishi who measured me for a pair of trousers that came out really well, with my only issue being a bit more of a curve around the seat rather than a fairly straight drop. Obviously, that's a subtle issue, but the trousers had nice lines, no bunching below the seat as with OTR, etc.

The challenge is whether they can deal with my forward and sloping shoulders. They have shirt measurements, pictures etc., but is that enough? Hence my question to Eustace Tilly, and to you.

Perhaps the question is too personal, but did you present them with challenges such as a sloped shoulder or forward shoulders (which for me is the main issue).

3. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

I don't have any significant body-shape challenges to present, just a little bit of lump from not being thin any longer -- I should be a fairly easy fit. That said, I think my experience proves the limitations of a business model like this -- the photos, measurements (they've been doing my shirts for a long time and have those measures on file), etc. simply can't replace the in-person consultation needed to refine the pattern. You WILL need tweaks to your first garment, so prepare for that if you plan to order a coat. Of course, the beauty of Hemrajani is the value and quality/price ratio, and once the pattern is set, they are tough to beat from what I've seen so far.

4. TweedyProf

That's a good point. If you believe in the approach, then the goal is to find the right pattern and endpoint, with some reasonable progress at each step. I'm happy enough with the results on shirts to keep tweaking. But of course, shirts are much cheaper than jackets!

Thanks for your reply.

5. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  6. TweedyProf

THanks for sharing. I'll have to email him for his collar height, which will effect the points.

7. bullrams

bullrams Well-Known Member

Had a great 'bespoke' experience with Joe Hemrajani last evening.

Joe was here in San Francisco yesterday at Hyatt. I had booked an appointment with him for measurements. I showed up at my stated time and then it was just a breeze. Him and his son were working it together. Joe personally took my measurements and noted all the details I wanted. He showed me his work on different kind of shirts, jackets and needless to say, I was sold! Exceptional service from the father-son duo!