1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do we have better in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Toiletduck, Jul 14, 2006.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I get my white T's from Giodarno/U2. They're pretty good value, particularly on sale.

There are a few 'HK' brands that are nothing to write home about eg Cour Carre, Playlord. Sizes in HK can be a bit difficult - I'm fairly average UK-wise: size 9 shoes, 41R suits but this is considered pretty big in HK.

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Wan Chai in ages, but aren't there girls/women/boys from all over there?

Filipinos have it rough. HK is one of the better places, though. Some who get sent to rural households in Taiwan, for example, are grossly overworked and sexually abused. ANd unlike HK, which has droves of foreign workers in which one might find help or simply community, there they are largely alone.

3. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Wan Chai in ages, but aren't there girls/women/boys from all over there?

Filipinos have it rough. HK is one of the better places, though. Some who get sent to rural households in Taiwan, for example, are grossly overworked and sexually abused. ANd unlike HK, which has droves of foreign workers in which one might find help or simply community, there they are largely alone.

apparently one of the highest numbers of filipinos migrating for work is in italy. i hope some of them will learn to make neapolitan suits and they come home and set up shop! [​IMG]

carre cour and playlord (what a name!) are more like cheaper and smaller versions of express or br.

and hanging out in lkf at night during world cup season, with dark beer in hand was tops, too! [​IMG]

4. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

also for casuals you have got u2 and bosini great stuff and cheap too

toiletduck where across the boader (assuming shenzhen) can you get cheap cufflinks???

I'm not sure. I saw that someone in another post showed his USD$8 cuff-links from SZ...I really want to go up there and get some!!!

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I saw that someone in another post showed his USD$8 cuff-links from SZ...I really want to go up there and get some!!!

can you remember that link as i live in sz aswell ashk so if you can findout where i will have a look for you!![​IMG]

6. luk-cha

can you remember that link as i live in sz aswell ashk so if you can findout where i will have a look for you!![​IMG]
    that way you wont have wasted a trip up there!

7. swooc

swooc Well-Known Member

last time my bro went to hk i asked him to get me some lacoste polos. He ended up buying crocodile polos :p.

8. luk-cha

last time my bro went to hk i asked him to get me some lacoste polos. He ended up buying crocodile polos :p.

they are owned by the same parent co. so basically the same brand thats why the logo is the same and not against any copy right infringements!

9. luk-cha

10. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Well-Known Member

this is my first post! YAAY!

i joined on cause i have to find out more about denim. i need some new jeans!

anyway, i was in Hong Kong at the beginning of May and i found a great little store there called "indu homme". great clothes and reasonably priced, plus they had a variety of different colours for each style.

11. acidboy

they are owned by the same parent co. so basically the same brand thats why the logo is the same and not against any copy right infringements!

are they? i wasnt aware of that. the crocodile shirt has its croc logo facing the wearer's right, as the lacoste croc logo is facing the wearer's left.

12. luk-cha

are they? i wasnt aware of that. the crocodile shirt has its croc logo facing the wearer's right, as the lacoste croc logo is facing the wearer's left.
    yeah locoste is own by croc if i am not wrong (which) i could by the same people that own Geive and Hawkes

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Whenever I look at Hong Kong and Taiwanese magazines, they always feature large ads for Filipino maid services, complete with a rather dour woman in a maid's uniform.

14. acidboy

Whenever I look at Hong Kong and Taiwanese magazines, they always feature large ads for Filipino maid services, complete with a rather dour woman in a maid's uniform.

from wiki:

"An Overseas Filipino is a person of Philippine origin who lives and works outside the Philippines. The poor performance of the Philippine economy over recent decades, combined with a widespread knowledge of English, a legacy of the Philippines' position as a former United States colony, have made Filipinos one of the most internationally mobile nationalities. Often works overseas will support extended families back in the Philippines. As a result, many countries around the world have a substantial Filipino community.

Population and Diaspora

There are more than 8.7 million overseas Filipinos worldwide, about 10% of the total population of the Philippines. However, the number may be higher due to a large rate of illegal Filipino migrants who overstayed or carry a lapsed visa. The population could be projected to be at 11 million.

Each year, the Philippines sends out more than a million of its nationals to work abroad. They are typically employed as doctors, accountants, housekeepers, nurses, engineers and domestic helpers.

The Filipino diaspora is the third largest in terms of population. The Chinese is the largest, with about 35 million followed by the Indian diaspora at 22 million."

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

i have put the order in and i got it back but they made it about 6' too short as i order some casual shirts too which i wear un-tucked but the quality was as good if not better coz the things i asked for (apart from lenth) they did i am just waiting for some other sample from them and the price will be about the same as Jantzen - so once i get every thing back i will do a full write up and i am in the process of getting a website up and running so we all should benifit from chinese dumpping of cheap dress shirts[​IMG] (just dont tell bush!)
    Ok, mum's the word. [​IMG]

16. luk-cha

Ok, mum's the word. [​IMG]

cheers chap i would hate to get invole in all this trade defercite talk but fingers crossed for this weekend!![​IMG]

17. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could score a few cuff links for me while you're up there! What do you do anyway?

My acquaintance who gets his shirt tailored at taipan went to SZ for a few shirts and said that the quality there is horrible....so Let me know how they turn out!

18. luk-cha

Perhaps you could score a few cuff links for me while you're up there! What do you do anyway?

My acquaintance who gets his shirt tailored at taipan went to SZ for a few shirts and said that the quality there is horrible....so Let me know how they turn out!

shall be chap i will post them online for all to see! (god forbid) also i will have a look too for the cuff link i bet he got then from luo hu shang ye cheng! so if time permit i will have a bouchers - as for what i do you can pm for that info!![​IMG]

19. luk-cha

hey toiletduck

it is at the lo wo commercial center where you can getr rip-off tiffany cuff-links no 1 perticular shop as most there will ahve them so happy hunting!!