1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you wear in high school?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Noland, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Vaclav

Vaclav Well-Known Member

My later high school days 85-7 don't look too different from today

You always had the suss.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

A lot of thrift store duds. T-shirts. Shorts long after they were seasonally appropriate. Nike sandals. Shirt and tie on gamedays! [​IMG] Nothing special, and nothing TOO embarrassing.

3. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

a lot of black.

torn (shredded is a better word) jeans

black leather trench coat

Headphones

Did you go to school in Columbine?

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

HS years of 85-89 in suburban US? Do you really have to ask?

I was the perfect 80's dandy. Generra and Zebra Club (Seattle-ites should know it if it's still around). Paisly shirts, pegged pants, bolo ties, fringed jeans jacket. Picture that guy (not Roland Orzibal) from Tears For Fears in the video for Shout or Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

I listened to Bronski Beat, the Fine Young Cannibals, New Order, Depeche Mode, et al. I fit the image.

The guy on the left: [​IMG]

bob

5. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

H.S. - class of '85...

We weren't allowed to wear shorts (that was the only uniform my school had at the time), so I wore Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits, white OP drawstring pants, or my LL Bean flat front khakis. Shirts were either OP or Town & Country t-shirts, polos or button-downs. Shoes were white K-Swiss classics, Sperry Topsiders or Blue/White Checked Vans. I almost never wore socks.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Style goal in HS was "Paul Stuart gone to seed." This was esoteric and, if I do say so myself, relatively advanced for St. Paul, MN in the early 80s. I went to a private school with a moderate dress code. Most people were doing the preppy thing, which I varied with some Ivy League stuff from the 50s and high waisted, deeply pleated pants from the 40s.

Once I wore Italian Army plus-fours with heavy-weight over the calf hiking socks. I think I pulled it off. My pic was on the clothing page of the yearbook.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

School uniform:

Grey trousers, blue blazer, predominantly white shirt (pale blue also allowed), black/green house tie, black shoes. On saturdays we had to wear a grey suit for chapel service, though we could also wear this suit on other days if we wished.

I understand the black/green house colours now have some unfortunate association with the evil House in Harry Potter! [​IMG]

The uniform was actually pretty smart in theory, but of course, like all schoolkids, it rapidly became very tatty and was bought at least one size too big in order for us to "grow into it"... [​IMG]

8. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Concert T-shirt from any one of the following: Rush, Queen, the Who, REO Speedwagon, Van Halen. Flannel shirt unbuttoned and untucked. Hiking boots, nickel bag in my sock, sometimes a John Deere hat.

9. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

T-shirts, Levi's, cheap tennis shoes. Elementary school and junior high were worse: polo shirts, khakis, and black dress shoes. Most of my clothing was handed down from 2 older brothers so none of it fit right. The shoes were either large enough for me to "grow into" or had cardboard inserts to cover the holes in the soles. A traumatic time.

10. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

1992-1996 High School

This was my transition from 80's music to hip hop music phase. I wore large baggy jeans mostly, white sneakers, oversized tshirts and button downs, and timberland boots, I wore a hat every day. I had large black and dark coats with hoods. Since a large portion of our school was hispanic and black it was common attire.

11. timof

timof New Member

12. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Shoes were Airwalk, Adidas Shelltoes, or Sketchers ( [​IMG] ).

Everything was overly baggy; sweaters, cargo pants, shitty jeans, a few button up shirts, tees. Stuff from American Eagle, Nautica, Structure, Ecko, etc.

Some of the shirts from American Eagle were sized XL. A properly fitting shirt from there for me would be a S or M.

13. steven93

steven93 Member

Shorts + flip flops

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Senior year in high school right now.

In the colder months, I wear sweaters 90% of the time (cashmere, cotton & wool) over shirts. A lot of v-necks, zip ups & cardigans. For bottoms, mostly jeans, chinos and the occasional wool trouser. Brogues, always. You will not see me in school with a pair of sneakers. Most of the sweaters are Brooks Brothers & Banana Republic (good cashmere for the price).

Warmer months...brightly patterned RL Polo and Brooks Bros. button downs, chinos (colored and khaki), linen/cotton trousers, tan bucks & wingtips. On casual days, it's usually jeans and a polo. Not a big fan of shorts in the summer.

During the winter, I like to throw on the occasional wool tie under a cardigan or v-neck. Not a single one of my classmates understands me, but it's ok! I was voted best dressed, which (not to brag, seriously) gives me the courage to continue wearing nantucket red pants and the occasional madras shirt.

15. lameduck

lameduck Active Member

School Uniform:

The usual mixed comprehensive school uniform:

-White shirt
    -School tie
    -Dark Grey trousers
    -Black shoes
    -School maroon V-neck Jumper (A vile item of clothing)

16. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Beastie Boys t-shirts, Adidas sneakers and American Eagle jeans.

17. raley

raley Well-Known Member

My later high school days 85-7 don't look too different from today

usually wore:

band tshirt, Fred Perry polo or Ben Sherman buttondown shirts
    Levis 501
    10 hole Docs with white laces
    Levis denim jacket or flight jacket
    Argyle sweaters

biggest difference is my hair was a #1 crop back then

This is surprising to me... how old are you? I figured you were in your mid 20's.

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

This is surprising to me... how old are you? I figured you were in your mid 20's.

i'm closer to 40 than 30 now [​IMG]

19. Monster

Monster Active Member

A jacket and tie.

One of my favorite things about going to a prep school was the uniform. Wearing a jacket and tie while I was young(er, as I'm only 22 now) allowed me to become complete comfortable in more formal attire now. Most people my age have no idea how to tie a tie, nevermind feel comfortable and confident while wearing one.

20. Dill

Dill Well-Known Member

A lot of Marc Jacobs, Varvatos, Jil Sander, Dolce, and Prada, with some Paul Smith, Helmut Lang, Exte, Ferre, and Boss mixed in. Some of it, mainly MJ and JS is still very wearable. I still stick to those two.

Where did you live? I don't think anybody at my high school could have named any of those brands (including the girls) let alone wore them.

I wore a lot of Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Quicksilver.