1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

fixed

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Okay, a torch is no good for natural casings. Even a low temp/diffused flame will make the casing split before it browns. On the good side, my boudin blanc rocked. :slayer:

3. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Dude I seriously wonder why your wife hasn't confiscated that torch already. The first time I got my hands on one...

4. Piobaire

:laugh:

I've been very restrained with it. I think this is my first attempt to use it on something other than an item out of the sous vide. Although Gome's story about a fly...no...it horrified me!

5. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

Cauliflower & coconut milk velouté with a seared scallop. Added too much stock, was a little too watery :/

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

when people say nail a broad they mean coitus not nailing with a nail.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I'm almost embarrassed to post this after it fell apart on the flip...first attempt though
    [​IMG]

Only 2 layers instead of 3 and my hand slices weren't that even.

Ate it with a pork chop dredged in a little corn meal, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Oh....so yeah... I have been doing it wrong... wondered what was up with that.:embar:

9. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i can see how you could've gotten confused. the profuse bleeding, the screams of ecstasy, the 'threats' of criminal prosecution, the required usage of profuse chloroform and cocaine. the only thing that's different is whether you do the pounding with your penis or a hammer.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

My xmas dinner is going to be so fuckin' boring. :(

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

no, all the stupid relatives balked at goose.

I am going to cook one later for people who appreciate it.

13. Piobaire

Send some slices to PR for me.

14. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

ok, happens to everybody. next time, fill the pan to the edges. make it 3 layers (or even 4). it will stick together better. and don't try to flip it with a spatula. Put a plate over the pancake, invert the pan, then slide the upside-down pancake back into the pan. you'll still need to go carefully, but you shouldn't have any problems.

15. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Yeah, I knew making it that small might be an issue but I was making it just for me and didn't want to eat a pound and a half of potatoes (and that is a 12" skillet...no cast iron smaller than that). Any reason it wouldn't work in the bottom of a stainless saucepan? The bottoms would be a better size for just me although the flip might get harder.

I pieced it back together after the flip and it seemed to stick well after that. I did put the slices in a small amount of water (I know manton says not to) since I wasn't sure how long the slicing and arranging process would take--now that I know, I think I can do it fast enough where it won't be a problem and it should stick together better.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

you should have no problem flipping with a spatula. IF the cake has cohered. that's the key. If it has, then you can flip it with a spatula or a plate. if it has not, then even a plate won't work, or work well.

The point is to keep checking, often. If it's getting too brown but it hasn't cohered, turn down the heat. Do not flip until you have at least a deep golden color and coherence. Once you have that, flip, cover and put in the oven.

17. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

my experience is a little different. flipping with a spatula, particularly a thinner cake, they're liable to break apart where the spatula doesn't support it. With a plate, that's not as liable to happen, though you do have to flip it quickly or the whole thing will smush against the side. as julia used to say "with conviction!"

18. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I tried vegetable latkes last night, per philosophe's suggestion. They were fun, but I think I still prefer potato. Will probably make both next time.

I've been tasked with the Christmas day meal, which I think will be parmesan crusted lamb chops, brussel sprouts with shallots and chestnuts, and a fennel parmesan salad.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I use a fish spatula, which is long, and yes it is important to flip it quickly.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Sounds delicious.