1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

had some people over for feijuada, brazillian black beans. I've been wanting to make them for my wife, and you can't really make the whole effect for 2 people. made a pot of beans with about 10 different types of cured meats in the mix, with a range of side dishes. came out great.

2. RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy Well-Known Member

past coupla meals last week.

[​IMG]
    'Sliders' with cabbage, a quail egg, and sriracha.

[​IMG]
    Tomato from the garden and cannellini bean salad with, basil, balsamic and olive oil.

[​IMG]
    Heirloom tomato salad with grapes, watermelon water, basil oil, and balsamic reduction.

[​IMG]I made pickled beets so have been eating them mostly outta the jar or in a salad..

[​IMG]
    Rack of Lamb with artichoke gratin, and vegetable bayaldi.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

went to alcapulco last night. had the carnitas entree. wife had 4 piece combo. we always eat half and the bring the rest home for lunch next day. or alcapulco is very fresh so it stays fresh next day. we always use those buy one get one 2.99 coupons those are the best.

4. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

5. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Been slacking... 2 trips to the new Tyler Florence place in SF, Wayfare Tavern. Ran into Gavin the first time and then Willie Brown the second. I hope to return and run into Art Agnos. Food is solid, but safe; definitely upscale tavern food. The desserts are like eating bags of sugar, except for the peach pie, which was quite good.

Popover:
    [​IMG]

Salt roasted bone marrow with a parsley-shallot salad, veal demi, sourdough toast, and molasses butter:
    [​IMG]

California avocado and hearts of palm with cucumber, shaved onions, cilantro, and lime dressing:
    [​IMG]

Fried chicken made in buttermilk brine, with roasted garlic, rosemary, thyme, and lemon:
    [​IMG]

"Le Grand" Wayfare Burger with special grind beef, Mt. Tam cheese, roasted onion, smoked bacon and herbs, on a housemade brioche with garlic fries:
    [​IMG]

Deviled egg with mustard-crème fraÃ[​IMG]che yolks, crisp powdered anchovy, capers, celery, and lemon-thyme oil:
    [​IMG]

Big Papa's banana pudding with vanilla cookies, banana custard, fresh banana, and toasted meringue:
    [​IMG]

Coconut macaroon petit four:
    [​IMG]

Fig on a Plate: Figs, roasted onion, burrata, sunflower seeds, and honey-black pepper dressing:
    [​IMG]

Steak tartare with French mustard dressing, shallot, capers, organic egg yolk, Tabasco, and greens:
    [​IMG]

Roasted Padron peppers:
    [​IMG]

Pineapple upside-down cake with macadamia nut brittle and salted caramel ice cream:
    [​IMG]

Peach pie with goat's milk ice cream and rosemary sugar:
    [​IMG]

6. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Made pork belly confit for dinner tonight. Had it in white wine with salt and cracked pepper for 24hours, cut it up into nice chunks and had it in the oven at 110c degrees for 7 hours. Let it cool down, sat it in the fridge for 12 now going to fry it up for dinner tonight.

7. Roikins

Went to a quick preview dinner cooked up by KWilk's best friend, Daniel Patterson of COI, for his new place in Oakland called Plum scheduled to open next month. Jeremy Fox was going to be in charge of the kitchen there, but he left the project yesterday morning, forcing Patterson, with his kid in a stroller, to come into Il Cane Rosso to cook the night's dinner. I think there are 5 of these trial menu dinners leading up to the Plum opening.

Chickpea fritter, with sheep's milk cheese inside, and wild fennel:
    [​IMG]

Melon and cucumber with almond-yogurt, red shiso and nasturtium:
    [​IMG]

Chilled eggplant soup, fresh pole and shelling beans, preserved lemon and lemon juice, tomato water gelee, and cilantro:
    [​IMG]

Slow-cooked egg, savory chicken-giblet fried farro, and sprouts:
    [​IMG]

Milk chocolate parfait, basil meringue, and pistachio:
    [​IMG]

Hibiscus marshmallow:
    [​IMG]

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Food looks good. Really good actually.

Those nasturtium leaves just remind me of the pea soup course at Coi. [​IMG]

9. Roikins

Food looks good. Really good actually. Those nasturtium leaves just remind me of the pea soup course at Coi. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Yeah, he was saying the Plum menu was going to be more simple; he said that night's menu could be done by anyone at home, so no special sous-vide machines or non-supermarket chemicals. I think I enjoyed it more than the COI meal we had. The chickpea fritter was on the dry side, and not as good as the chickpea fritters at Frances. The cold eggplant soup was outstanding and surprised the hell out of me -- lots of layers in flavor; I'd probably have more of that. The poached egg dish was runner up, really savory, but could have used some citrus, or anything acidic, really. That dude loves the nasturtium. It was funny to see Patterson pushing his kid around in a stroller though; the first time I ate at COI he actually stopped by the table to say he was leaving for the evening because his wife was in the hospital ready to deliver.

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Hibiscus marshmallow: [​IMG]
    I think that if somebody served me a single marshmallow I'd throw it at them. Some of this haute food looks more like an art project than a meal. I have to say though that I was very impressed with Tyler Florence slicing an avocado, plating it, and charging a fortune. Same thing with a fig. That's a savvy buisness man right there.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

I have to say though that I was very impressed with Tyler Florence slicing an avocado, plating it, and charging a fortune. Same thing with a fig. That's a savvy buisness man right there.
    Happens at a lot of restaurants out there, brah. Ever heard of Alice Waters? Only half kidding. Glad you had a good meal Roikins. He realy does love the edible flowers.

12. Roikins

I think that if somebody served me a single marshmallow I'd throw it at them.

Some of this haute food looks more like an art project than a meal. I have to say though that I was very impressed with Tyler Florence slicing an avocado, plating it, and charging a fortune. Same thing with a fig. That's a savvy buisness man right there.

Oddly, the petit four isn't usually served by the dozen to a lone diner.

The fig plate is actually called "Fig on a Plate," which he put on the menu because of David Chang's comment. There's actually a "Fig on a Plate 2.0" on the dessert menu.

Happens at a lot of restaurants out there, brah. Ever heard of Alice Waters? Only half kidding.

Glad you had a good meal Roikins. He realy does love the edible flowers.

I will be curious to see how the final menu shapes up once Plum opens; I don't think it will be as "casual" as he hopes it to be.

13. RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy Well-Known Member

Went to my 'regular' bar/restaurant (jesus, been there 4 times this week...) and had a prosciutto, fried eggplant, house made Moz, balsamic, arugula sandwich with a cold pasta salad.

Tang10 martini 2:1 with Dolin and a twist to start...quartino of 2007 Etna Rosso by Tenuta delle Terre Nere with dinner, and a Highland park 18 to finish...

14. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Some great posts in this thread recently. Kudos to Roikins and RPMcMurphy for the great pics. Went to Tokyo for a couple of days...some food pics: Lunch at Taimeiken, a traditional place that serves "western-style" dishes. We had "Butter Ramen", "Omurice" (no pic), and "Beef Cutlet": [​IMG] [​IMG] Another lunch at a Michelin-starred Chinese place called Momonoki that was good but not great, except for the pork with the black sour sauce which was excellent: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Dinner at La Bettola da Ochiai, which was outstanding. I highly recommend this place if you visit Tokyo and want something other than Japanese food. The Uni pasta, quail, and fish with potato crust were standouts but everything was good: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Oddly, the petit four isn't usually served by the dozen to a lone diner.
    Come on...

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Wow Alter. That Italian food looks amazing. Odd that I could find better Italian in Japan than I could in an area with a good sized Italian population. [​IMG]

17. Roikins

Come on...

Neither is an amuse-bouche. A petit-four is meant to be a last bite, not another course. Some of these were for me alone, some were for myself and my friend... not a lot on the plate. Some places will only provide a single item for each diner, others might bring more; I actually get annoyed at places that bring an odd number out for an even number of diners or only provide one type of item when there are multiple diners, so people are left choosing.

Mini German chocolate cupcakes at Hatfield's:
    [​IMG]

Housemade marshmallows at The Oval Room:
    [​IMG]

Powdered chocolate hazelnut at Luce:
    [​IMG]

Raspberry and chocolate truffle at Baume:
    [​IMG]

Chocolate filled with drunken monkey tea, yogurt, and dark chocolate at Per Se:
    [​IMG]

Hibiscus gelee, macaron, red pepper gelee at VOLT:
    [​IMG]

Chocolate truffles, almond brittle, and coffee cafe at Restaurant Eve:
    [​IMG]

Brown butter and passion fruit marshmallow and peanut butter and jelly truffle at WD-50:
    [​IMG]

Strawberry and chocolate gelees at Manresa:
    [​IMG]

Tangerine cookie, raspberry puff, lemon cake, and salted chocolate at Citronelle:
    [​IMG]

Chocolate and mint macaroons and chocolate hazelnut lollipops with pop rocks at the Langham's Dining Room:
    [​IMG]

Petits fours at Le Bernardin:
    [​IMG]

Petits fours at Charleston:
    [​IMG]

Cinnamon macaron, raspberry gelee, chocolate hazelnut cake at CityZen:
    [​IMG]

Aubergine's macarons:
    [​IMG]

18. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Been craving wings for like a week or more, and there's literally no place in this country to get a decent one, so I had to take matters into my own hands. [​IMG]

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Neither is an amuse-bouche. A petit-four is meant to be a last bite, not another course. Some of these were for me alone, some were for myself and my friend... not a lot on the plate. Some places will only provide a single item for each diner, others might bring more; I actually get annoyed at places that bring an odd number out for an even number of diners or only provide one type of item when there are multiple diners, so people are left choosing.
    I understand. It was just the idea of a single marshmallow on the giant plate that threw me.

20. Roikins

I understand. It was just the idea of a single marshmallow on the giant plate that threw me.

Gotcha. In this instance, I'd chalk that up to the preview/practice dinner thing, since it was being held at what is typically a small casual/lunch location, which was probably they also only had French press coffee.