1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I flambeed a Korean because Jayvn told me to do so. Yum. Good eatin'.

Did you get a nice plump one or one of them boney stringy ones?

2. ld111134

ld111134 Well-Known Member

Dinner at Graham Elliot (owned by Graham Elliot Bowles, who is co-host with English kitchen terror Gordon Ramsay on the Fox Network's "Master Chef"). Wonderful - heirloom tomatoes with aerated mozzarella, duck satay with lime curry and coconut froth, root beer-glazed spare rib with fried okra, halibut with locally-foraged chanterelle mushrooms and pumpernickel dust. Great recommendation from Kyle Wilkinson. [​IMG]

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

went to a new french bistro that opened very close to where we live, walking distance. we've heard good reviews, and we really weren't disappointed. very good service and ambiance. had onion soup, and it was about as good as I've had it, then a confit of pork which was excellent - a crispy pices of pork about the size of a deck of playing cards. probrably the best thin cut french fries that I've had in the states. my wife has the soup, and really nice piece of tuna that had been crusted with panko and served with fava beans and tiny new potatos in a dill sauce.

the wine was a disappointment, but that was my fault in choosing, it wasn't off or anything, it just wasn't as good as I hope it would be, I should have stuck with a bottle that I knew.

lemon tart with a pine nut crust.

really a nice meal.

4. Piobaire

Mrs. Piob made dinner for a change. Slow roasted duck with cauliflower mash. Very good and we've got the cauli mash tweaked so it's quite tasty and a reasonable replacement for the carb-evil mashed potato. Pulled an 06 Siduri Clos Pepe PN.

5. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Well-Known Member

The wife and I decided to go out and try a new Thai restaurant that opened in town this week. Split fried tofu and a salad and then I had pad thai and she had the pineapple duck. It was my first time trying Thai iced tea, which I really enjoyed.

The food was good, and the service was great considering it was their opening weekend. My wife was impressed, which is great since she's really missed Thai food since moving from a big city to our relatively small town. I'm just glad to see another restaurant open in our revived downtown (it had been suffering a slow, almost total death since the 70's).

6. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Dinner at Graham Elliot (owned by Graham Elliot Bowles, who is co-host with English kitchen terror Gordon Ramsay on the Fox Network's "Master Chef"). Wonderful - heirloom tomatoes with aerated mozzarella, duck satay with lime curry and coconut froth, root beer-glazed spare rib with fried okra, halibut with locally-foraged chanterelle mushrooms and pumpernickel dust. Great recommendation from Kyle Wilkinson. [​IMG]
    Great restaurant. Of your selections I've eaten the duck satay and the halibut. Both were excellent.

7. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

1 pound ribeye
    Baked potato with butter and sour cream
    Tomato and mozzarella with basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
    Texas toast

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

9. ld111134

Went to Merkat a la Planxa last night - fabulous Catalan-style tapas, especially the smoked pork ribs (seriously terrific barbecue), grilled lobster, garlic shrimp and suckling lamb.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Went to Merkat a la Planxa last night - fabulous Catalan-style tapas, especially the smoked pork ribs (seriously terrific barbecue), grilled lobster, garlic shrimp and suckling lamb.

sounds great, have to try it

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guesses?

Hot mess?

13. itsstillmatt

Hot mess?
    Tsk, tsk, tsk.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

There's a bone in there so it looks like maybe duck or some sort of coq au vin? If this is a red wine reduction, it looks very very dark and thick.

Then again, it might just be rabbit again.

15. itsstillmatt

Yes, rabbit. Civet this time. Very good.

16. Piobaire

The sauce was so dark, I was wondering if you had gotten some blood and were playing with it.

Picked some basil from the garden yesterday. Made fresh pesto, froze a couple portions, and used a portion to coat some chicken breasts in. Let them sit for a couple hours and grilled them. Had side of sauteed mushrooms paired with an 07 Hanna RRV Chard.

17. ld111134

sounds great, have to try it

You have to Z. Great scene, great food - they claim to be the only exclusively Catalonian restaurant in the U.S., which I find hard to believe. The tapas did remind us of Barcelona, in any event.

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

had a sort of banh mi hybrid pork belly sandwich tasty as fuck.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I guess nobody likes pigs in a blanket... [​IMG]

20. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Takashi -

Sweetbreads over potatoes lyonnaise,
    hamachi over kimchi w/ garlic chip and a mild dipping sauce,
    baramundi w/ a light mustard sauce and a roast aubergine

Still as good as when it opened, but it's just not possible to replicate Tribute. Fortunately, it's about half the price, so I'm pretty satisfied.