1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Made the first potato & leek soup of the season (topped with a mushroom medley). The gf said it was phenomenon, and two other people I served it to couldn't stop eating.

Hot or cold?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I had a lot of foam.
    [​IMG]

4. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Well-Known Member

Ears were a bit blackened:

[​IMG]

- B

Is this impromptu ventriloquism?

5. kwilkinson

I had a lot of foam.

I feel for you.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

From the freezer I pulled a bag filled with some meaty-type parcels, and thought...what is this? It was red, with substantial fat, cut into slabs, some of which had bone in. Mrs. T thought it was pork, but I would have sworn it was a thick-cut new york strip, with the bone in.

At this point some of you are no doubt questioning my sanity, but after a weekend of rainy afternoons and non-stop tax code review, well, you're probably right.

I thaw the parcel and then re-freeze what we're not going to use. Search through a cookbook and find a recipe for pan-fried steaks, with sauce. Long story short, pulled together a simple dish of corn, potatoes, and pork steaks cooked like beef. It didn't suck.

7. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Hot or cold?
    Hot, which is how I prefer my p&l soup.
    From the freezer I pulled a bag filled with some meaty-type parcels, and thought...what is this? It was red, with substantial fat, cut into slabs, some of which had bone in. Mrs. T thought it was pork, but I would have sworn it was a thick-cut new york strip, with the bone in. At this point some of you are no doubt questioning my sanity, but after a weekend of rainy afternoons and non-stop tax code review, well, you're probably right. I thaw the parcel and then re-freeze what we're not going to use. Search through a cookbook and find a recipe for pan-fried steaks, with sauce. Long story short, pulled together a simple dish of corn, potatoes, and pork steaks cooked like beef. It didn't suck.
    Thomas, meet Sharpie.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

(...)

Thomas, meet Sharpie.

That's the weird part: normally I label with cut and date frozen so we can practice good freezer management. I think Mrs. Thomas was responsible for this, and now that I've opened that particular door I now wonder whether it was really pork. Could have been emu or unicorn. But she hates it, teh lamb, so I have to sneak away for my lamb fix.

9. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

That's the weird part: normally I label with cut and date frozen so we can practice good freezer management. I think Mrs. Thomas was responsible for this, and now that I've opened that particular door I now wonder whether it was really pork. Could have been emu or unicorn. But she hates it, teh lamb, so I have to sneak away for my lamb fix.
    My gf used to not eat lamb. She doesn't like eating cute animals. One day I grilled a leg of lamb to perfection. My gf couldn't stop eating it. But since she still has the hang up with eating cute animals, we now call it "Greek beef" because lamb is so ubiquitous in Greek cuisine. She doesn't have a problem with eating lamb anymore. [​IMG] Now, I just need to come up with another name for veal.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I was able to buy a case of crown roasts from Sysco, some time ago. White Marble, $1.50/lbs, just beautiful stuff (it pays to spend millions with a food company [​IMG] ). So broke down a whole rack into beautiful, thick cut pork chops, and did the vacuum seal/freeze with most, saved two for dinner.

Dipped in butter, coated in parmesan cheese, panko, spices, and oven baked to perfection. Had with grilled asparagus and pan fried cabbage. Paired with 2007 Novy Family Four Mile Creek red blend.

11. kwilkinson

Hot, which is how I prefer my p&l soup.
    Same here, actually. But as Matt will tell you, I am a plebe. Glad to know I'm at least in good company.

12. Piobaire

Same here, actually. But as Matt will tell you, I am a plebe. Glad to know I'm at least in good company.

You didn't order coffee, did you?

13. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Nothing against cold p&l soup, but I'm not a fan of cold soups in general. And with p&l soup in particular, I find that it gets a little too thick for my liking when it's cold.

14. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

I was able to buy a case of crown roasts from Sysco, some time ago. White Marble, $1.50/lbs, just beautiful stuff (it pays to spend millions with a food company [​IMG] ). So broke down a whole rack into beautiful, thick cut pork chops, and did the vacuum seal/freeze with most, saved two for dinner.

Dipped in butter, coated in parmesan cheese, panko, spices, and oven baked to perfection. Had with grilled asparagus and pan fried cabbage. Paired with 2007 Novy Family Four Mile Creek red blend.

Pio, would you recommend getting a vacuum sealer? Is there a noticable difference when freezing meat?

K

15. Piobaire

Pio, would you recommend getting a vacuum sealer? Is there a noticable difference when freezing meat?

K

I recommend them. I use mine for anything from foie:

[​IMG]

to sauces, scallops, etc. It's just the two of us, so when I get a deal on something like these large racks of meat, I can break them down into meal size portions for us.

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I recommend them. I use mine for anything from foie: [​IMG] to sauces, scallops, etc. It's just the two of us, so when I get a deal on something like these large racks of meat, I can break them down into meal size portions for us.
    Weird, I'm shopping for one of these right now. Which model do you have? I'm looking at this V2440 from BPS for about $100 shipped. The newer/more expensive models all seem to be junk according to reviews on Amazon.

17. Piobaire

Weird, I'm shopping for one of these right now. Which model do you have? I'm looking at this V2440 from BPS for about $100 shipped. The newer/more expensive models all seem to be junk according to reviews on Amazon.

That's the model we have. We got it from CostCo, a couple of years ago, when our old vacuum sealer gave out. It works pretty well, IMO.

18. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Is this impromptu ventriloquism?

My wife did the honors: "Trust me, I'm kosher."

The thing about piglet teeth is that they are quite human. You almost expect braces.

- B

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

That's the model we have. We got it from CostCo, a couple of years ago, when our old vacuum sealer gave out. It works pretty well, IMO.

Have you moved back to Nova Scotia yet? Or Saskcwodhiwwan?

- B

20. why

why Well-Known Member

My wife did the honors: "Trust me, I'm kosher."

[​IMG]