1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

Hey! It's been so long since I've been back here; it's like an entirely new site! I've been so busy with finishing up school and looking to get my life started that posting has kind of gotten pushed to the side. This is probably one of the only threads I've perused despite my non-activity. The stuff you guys can put together is beyond me and my admiration for your guys' talents is actually what really ignited my passion for cooking.

Yes! This is exactly what I need. That bowl is absolutely beautiful. I also took a look at the Tessa Black collection for when I have sushi nights -- this stuff gets me really excited!

1 person likes this.
  2. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Hey 187,

You finally made it into the IC. Congrats.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

lol nah

1 person likes this.
  4. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

:happy: yah?

:D really?!

:( oh.

p.s great beard Bhowie! I am truly envious! I just got rid of mine 15 minutes ago for an upcoming interview

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Red beet soup for lunch.

tropics, the cow face was a bit dcarchy. :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The ever changing foie presentation last night was a BLT theme. Perfectly toasted challah bread squares with bone marrow butter, a green leafy herb I cannot remember, a thinnish but the width of the bread slice of heirloom tomato, couple thin slices of housemade bacon, and of course a nice slab of seared foie. Mrs. Piob usually finds foie too rich and just has a taste of mine or I end up eating 2/3 of her portion too. This balanced all so perfectly she did not leave a bite either.

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Why can't people just let foie gras be foie gras?

9. Piobaire

Even I would get tired of just eating a seared slice of it on a plate. I always thought part of being a good chef was to use ingredients in new and creative ways that are fitting to the flavour of the components?

10. mgm9128

I suppose. Although I think there is a tendency to take that sentiment a little too far. Chef is the craftsman, not the creator. It is also important understanding the ingredient one is working with. Foie gras is a pretty nice product on it's own, and very little is needed to enhance it (a well made terrine or torchon, for example). Marrow, bacon and tomatoes in the middle of Winter wouldn't seem to do justice to that fact. To me it just seems like richness for the sake of being rich.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  11. Piobaire

So now your contention is that bacon is not seasonal to winter? Also, as I said above, the presentation actually made it less rich than just a hunk of seared foie gras.

I'm not saying there isn't something to what you're saying I'm just saying, of all people, I think your talk of anything but the most basic manipulations and presentations as acceptable is a little rich itself. Also, this fellow seems to understand his ingredients quite well so I'd rest easy on that concern if I were you. Been a professional chef working a full time career in upscale kitchens for 15 years or so and I know part of his resume.

Now I'm hungry for another one of those BLT foie sandwiches.

12. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I guess the seasonal thing referred solely to the tomatoes.

13. mgm9128

If you enjoyed it, then that's really all that matters.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Seared foie gras on a nice slice of levain with greens is good. I hate foie gras with brioche, personally, much less bacon and marrow. January tomatoes are a sin. Just my opinion (except the tomatoes part, that is fact,) but that is why they make menus, or at least they used to.

15. Piobaire

FWIW, it was bone marrow butter, so a compound butter vs. straight bone marrow. Also, it was the January tomato that really made the snack as it cut the richness of the dish.

What is wrong with a tomato in January though? I must confess I do not quite understand this fixation on seasonality these days.

16. mgm9128

Nothing is wrong with tomatoes in January other than how they taste.

17. Piobaire

Most tomatoes in the US taste horrible no matter what the season is. This was actually a quite tasty heirloom variety...as I said previously.

I get seasonality. I get how satisfying a winter stew is, how excellent fresh harvested corn is but I think...well, not sure what I think but I'm okay with a tomato in January if it tastes good.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Certainly if the tomato in January tastes good, then it is good. I've just never had a good tomato other than in summer.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I made a great deal of delicious food this weekend.

2 people like this.
  20. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Did you take a FOH job in the Liebrandt Group?