1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What degree subject did you do?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Sir Humphrey Appleby, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

BS, Physics
    MD - just beginning my 4th year, light at the end of the (debt) tunnel. Residency apps this Fall.

2. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Well-Known Member

BA History
    MD
    10 years of residency
    2 years of practice
    1 year of super fellowship

3. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Well-Known Member

BA History
    MD
    10 years of residency
    2 years of practice

I hope you don't regret that....

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

BA History
    MD
    10 years of residency
    2 years of practice

How did you wind up doing 10 years of residency? A gen surg residency is 5 years and a thoracic fellowhip is anywhere from 2 to 3. That's a long time to be training.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

B.S. Managerial Economics
    Also minored in Accounting

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Bachelors: Electrical Engineering, minor math
    Masters: Electrical Engineering, concentration in digital signal processing

Damn liberal arts majors [​IMG]

Really though, what do you do?

7. 360waver

360waver Member

In the process of getting a BS in Mechanical Engineering

8. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

B.S. Political Science

9. 997CTSurg

How did you wind up doing 10 years of residency? A gen surg residency is 5 years and a thoracic fellowhip is anywhere from 2 to 3. That's a long time to be training.

7 years GS 5 + 2 of molecular genetics research
    3 years Thoracic residency

10. 997CTSurg

I hope you don't regret that....

nah.....I couldn't do anything else and be happy

11. Philip

Philip Well-Known Member

was a Government Intl Relations/political economy double major with honours in both, changed to a double major in philosophy and Art History, I would've done a Physics and Philosophy double major if i could bother with the maths.

Will probably end up as a painting major seeing how that's what i've been doing for most of my life.

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Will probably end up as a painting major seeing how that's what i've been doing for most of my life.

In another thread you mentioned Sydney Uni so is that Sydney College of the Arts?

One of simple joys of life is visiting the NGA with Blue Poles and just sitting in front of it with no one around, one of the good things about Canberra.

13. Philip

Philip Well-Known Member

In another thread you mentioned Sydney Uni so is that Sydney College of the Arts?

One of simple joys of life is visiting the NGA with Blue Poles and just sitting in front of it with no one around, one of the good things about Canberra.

Not right now, SCA accepted my application after i graduated from high school, but i decided it would be a waste of time, although what i'm doing now is really no different. After i complete my BA, i'll be deciding whether I should proceed with a postgrad or enrol in a Bachelor at SCA.

I was actually planning on going to NGA this weekend. How often do you go?

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Not right now, SCA accepted my application after i graduated from high school, but i decided it would be a waste of time, although what i'm doing now is really no different. After i complete my BA, i'll be deciding whether I should proceed with a postgrad or enrol in a Bachelor at SCA. I was actually planning on going to NGA this weekend. How often do you go?
    Different how so? I used to hang with a group of Post Modernist Abstract Expressionists who went to COFA (know it?) back in the early 80's. Sadly heroin fucked a couple of them up and the rest did Dip Eds and became High School teacher, not a good choice its there sanity not mine. Bit of a hard career to hack out if ask me, painting that is. I go occasionally the NPA is ok more into photography these days. ps missus went to SCOA and UTS Design and AFTRS more money in film than paint. Ha teenage son not interested in Arts wants to be a chippie.

15. Philip

Philip Well-Known Member

Different how so? I used to hang with a group of Post Modernist Abstract Expressionists who went to COFA (know it?) back in the early 80's. Sadly heroin fucked a couple of them up and the rest did Dip Eds and became High School teacher, not a good choice its there sanity not mine. Bit of a hard career to hack out if ask me, painting that is.

I go occasionally the NPA is ok more into photography these days.

ps missus went to SCOA and UTS Design and AFTRS more money in film than paint. Ha teenage son not interested in Arts wants to be a chippie.

Well i'm doing a philosophy/art history major purely to learn, I've no idea how to make money out of it. Sure i can teach or write academically but i doubt I'll do so well, and there's no room for mediocrity in that field of work.

Yep, i know COFA, and the students there are worse than ever.

No doubt painting would be a difficult pursuit, especially when i personally don't prescribe to the contemporary aesthetic (my work is Post-Impressionist) but i'm not looking for prosperity in a career, just enough for a comfortable life, and I can live on very little (apart from clothes and books, go figure). I thought about film, but I don't have the money for it.

What does your wife do now?

16. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

BS Mechanical Engineering

17. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Double major undergrad, Economics and Mathematics. Grad school for Finance, and did an MBA for good measure.

18. Dorian J.

Dorian J. Active Member

PhD - Humanities/Aesthetic Studies
    MA - Literature
    BA - Literature

19. Hayato

Hayato Well-Known Member

BA - Television, Film and New Media Studies.

One of my biggest regrets [​IMG]

20. slycedbred

slycedbred Well-Known Member

undergrad: economics/pre-med

grad: Healthcare administration

possible post-grad: econometrics. only if i get into exactly the school i want to go to. would never compromise