1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 17, 2009.

1. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

It isn't good...

I did it last night to a hand-knit RLPL cashmere cable sweater ... used a cloth bag for the sweater and put it in the washer on hand wash with warm/cold cycle selected. It's drying right now while laying flat but I'm hoping for a couple inches of shrinking in every area, since the only sweater I could get ahold of was a Medium and I need a Small.

It might not be ideal to do this, but if it wrecks my sweater, that will be a lesson learned.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

It isn't good...

Well, no, I didn't figure it would be like a spa treatment, but I figured it might harm the integrity of the fibers or make them feel harder.

Yeah, wtf [​IMG], you're still talking about cashmere? I thought you'd gone and picked up some nice Shaggy Dogs and called it a day...

Remember? I already decided what I'm doing pre-thread.

I did it last night to a hand-knit RLPL cashmere cable sweater ... used a cloth bag for the sweater and put it in the washer on hand wash with warm/cold cycle selected. It's drying right now while laying flat but I'm hoping for a couple inches of shrinking in every area, since the only sweater I could get ahold of was a Medium and I need a Small.

It might not be ideal to do this, but if it wrecks my sweater, that will be a lesson learned.

I've done this, too, although not entirely on purpose. The cashmere shrinks a little, but I can't tell if there are any other ill effects.

3. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I've done this, too, although not entirely on purpose. The cashmere shrinks a little, but I can't tell if there are any other ill effects.

That's good to know, I'm hoping for positive results.

4. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

B., have you been to the Cashmere Outlet on Newbury St?

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

I would have thought the risk would be of uneven shrinkage, leading to warping of the garment? I would instinctively try to avoid the necessity of this.

6. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Well-Known Member

This has turned out to be a very useful thread. Pity I don't have money at the moment to take advantage. Does Portnoy have some sort of Netflix program? I'm good for the return.

7. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Well-Known Member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    To reiterate......

Oh, and the standard disclaimer applies: I've already decided and, though valued, your opinions will have no effect.

Did no one else read this in Post #1? Why bother replying?

8. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

About eight years ago I wanted to shrink a sweater I'd had since the 80's. I'm pretty sure it was made of merino wool. In any case, since it was styled for the 80's, I thought it was too big. So I tried washing it in hot warm water and then drying it on low. This had barely an effect. So I tried boiling it, literally, on a pot on the stove. I was prepared to give it away if things went bad. At worst, I thought it would shrink a lot, that the weave would tighten up (on the way toward felt), and that the oils would be stripped. It did shrink a lot, about 4-5 inches, but only in the length. I think the weave tighted up, but just a bit. Not sure how much the oils were stripped though, since I used wool conditioner afterwards. I had mostly wanted it to shrink in width, so I gave it to a friend.

9. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Yeah, wtf [​IMG], you're still talking about cashmere? I thought you'd gone and picked up some nice Shaggy Dogs and called it a day...

Wes, btw, did you get any of the McGeorge sweaters? Did they have any left in your size?

Foo, I'd love to see what you think about the J. press shaggy dogs, esp if you can see it in person. I am definitely planning on one next year.

10. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Have shrunk two sweaters. The first was the Ballantyne Fred Astaire (he came in size XL for some reason). Worked perfectly.

The second was a made in England (thus pre-China production) Alan Paine cashmere turtleneck in spongy cashmere that was a shade too large. It shrank from too large to me to so small I passed it on to my mom.

11. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Wes, btw, did you get any of the McGeorge sweaters? Did they have any left in your size?

Foo, I'd love to see what you think about the J. press shaggy dogs, esp if you can see it in person. I am definitely planning on one next year.

Nah, I'm not loving the colors they have left in a 36. Besides, while there's no doubt the McGeorge have that dry rustic appeal, I'm liking the fuzzyness of the Shaggy Dogs. Just having a hard time deciding which color to get...

12. Chips

Chips Well-Known Member

I just bought one of the Mcgeorge's cable knits. Options were limited in my size, I wanted a medium gray and ended up with their light grey, but figure it will still be a rather versatile color that will go with a lot of things.

Thanks Vox for the recommendation. I only own two nice sweaters, both cashmere (RT and RLPL) and neither are grey, so this might fill a hole in my otherwise sparse wardrobe.

13. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...ers_cabled.php I have no idea. I assume [​IMG] is on the trail, but any search for sources in the US for this type of thing would start with O'Connell's or underneath the cobwebbed staff at Cable Car. For example, not cashmere, but here is O'Connell's remaining deadstock of McGeorge Shetlands...I would expect this inventory to be inaccurate, however. Cabled McGeorges. And the O'Connell's deadstock museum. - B
    Thanks for info, I just ordered a light grey McGeorge crewneck. EDIT: Fark, I bumped a dying thread simply because I had the link saved on my desktop.

14. mafoofan

I got it and I like it.

15. srivats

I got it and I like it.

What did you get !?

16. mafoofan

What did you get !?

Navy blue William Lockie v-neck.

17. srivats

Super ... photos when you have the time!

Is it worth the commentary it gets?

18. Patek14

Patek14 Well-Known Member

My colors for sweaters (4 are cashmere, 1 is lambswool, 1 is shetland style blended merino and angora rabbit)

-Dark navy
    -Maroon/Wine
    -Charcoal
    -Greenish-grey
    -Cream
    -Camel

I'd probably go for dark red/maroon first because it is very versatile and goes with many different colors of pants.

I'm not a fan of lambswool because it does feel very scratchy. Cashmere all the way!

19. Tarzan

Tarzan Well-Known Member

Did you order from here http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=15 ?

When you get it could you give some info on the measurements? It seems from the site that the size they list is the true measurement and not the chest the garment would fit. If my chest is 40' which size should I order? Thanks

20. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

Good thread. I want to work this into my style.
    What are some mass market labels that offer a decent entry-level value for a basic non-cashmere sweater? (cotton? JCrew? etc)
    Lots of votes for the navy sweater. I'd also like to get a light grey sweater, but $300 is more than I'd like to spend to try out a look.