1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What color/style of shoes??!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrick G., Jul 30, 2003.

1. Patrick G.

Patrick G. New Member

I'm doing an Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks and need a new pair of shoes to take along. I'd like to get something I can wear on casual nights w/khakis, as well as with my black suit on formal nights. Can I get away with only 1 pair and still be "in style"? If so, what color/style? Oh, and sock color should match shoe color, not pant color, right?

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I don't think you can get away with a single pair of shoes (apart from the fact that shoes should rest and dry out 24 hours between wearings). Get a pair of black cap-toe oxfords to go with your black suit and a pair of tan/brown loafers to go with the khakis.

It is probably better to match your socks to your trousers than to your shoes as to avoid the look of a pair of booties. But that rule is not written in stone, you can be flexible in a casual outfit. (At least you will not have any decision-problems with a black suit and black shoes).

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

cap-toe oxfords on a cruise? c'mon, you're on vacation man. get some black slip ons and some brown ones, and be done with it. as for the socks, i like them to relate to the color of my pants, but that's for you to decide.

4. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Matador: I hear you about the being on vacation part. But cruises are a bit different. Normally, the dining is formal, except for one night when they ask you to be casual. I went on a cruise with my wife a year ago and was glad I took my cap-toed oxfords. I agree with Bengal, take the oxfords and a pair of loafers.

5. BjornH

BjornH Well-Known Member

Stu - do you mean formal in the technical sense or usual sense ? I mean, were people wearing white dinner jackets and the works or just suits ?

I do plan to go on a cruise so I'm a bit curious as to what people wear and what kind of people one will meet.

B

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Bjorn: Formal in the usual sense, although there were people in tuxes and there was a tux rental place on the ship. I and the other men in our group wore conservative suits. I took a basic 3-button Navy Corneliani along and it worked fine.
    You probably wouldn't look out of place in a tux, though.