1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What color sofa with dark hardwood?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by canbc, Mar 25, 2010.

1. canbc

canbc New Member

I'm sofa shopping for my new place and not sure what color to go for. I've attached a picture of the living room area. All the walls are off-white except for the one wall that is purple-gray. I've always liked simple black leather couches but I'm worried it's going to make the space too dark. White leather looks high maintenance. Maybe cream would look good? Not sure how light-colored leather or fabric will hold up over time. Ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. erdawe

erdawe Well-Known Member

Black leather and chorme sofa with tasteful colored throw, and acessory furniture/chairs that are lighter in color and visual weight.

The huge wall of windows really helps with the darker stain floor.

3. denning

denning Well-Known Member

4. Robertito

Robertito Well-Known Member

Beautiful room. I personally think the charcoal would be too dark; an ecru or cream sofa with stainless steel legs would look lighter and complement the space in a more welcoming manner. I'm thinking of a shade halfway between the lighter wall color and the ceiling color.

5. coreyjaun

coreyjaun New Member

I will go for Black leather or chocalate color. Nice room

Cheers

6. canbc

canbc New Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's interesting that the opinions have been quite varied. Maybe that means either light or dark furniture could work? I think dark would be more lounge-y and cozy? While a light cream would be more welcoming and comfortable? Or maybe it doesn't make a big difference at all.

It's not a large space so I'd probably prefer it to look as open as possible.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

8. binge

binge Well-Known Member

I'm sofa shopping for my new place and not sure what color to go for. I've attached a picture of the living room area. All the walls are off-white except for the one wall that is purple-gray. I've always liked simple black leather couches but I'm worried it's going to make the space too dark. White leather looks high maintenance. Maybe cream would look good? Not sure how light-colored leather or fabric will hold up over time. Ideas?

Baseboard heaters?

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

My first thought was cream.

10. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Is that place in Brickell? It looks like some units I had seen in Miami.

I like the accent wall, BTW. I would avoid a black sofa, and go with something lighter. Cream would work, but would be on the boring side. I like the green idea, if you can find the right green. White would also work, but I'm not a fan of white leather.

11. bkk

bkk Well-Known Member

Black = a very dark room and very boring. I like the idea of a cream color to liven things up. At least throw something in there to spice things up.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I fell alseep looking at that room.

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Cool windows with potential. Toronto or Vancouver?

The McMansion Espresso Palette has got to go. Paint the walls a greyed turquoise or something. Then get a couch.

14. Stedye

Stedye Well-Known Member

A lighter color will give a sense of spaciousness and contrast well with the darker color. Colors such as Beige, Cream,Champagne,or natural. Get several swatches and bring put them on the floor like the
    photo in the post, if available, take a sample of the wood flooring to storeb with you.

15. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

first of all, if you're looking for modern style, paint that brown wall grey or white. I'd go with white, since it's facing the kitchen. And all the walls white.

then, you can risk white leather or fabric, it will balance the dark tone of the floor, that has a lot of chromatic load. It's really very strong. However, it won't ruin a black/white setup if you include very few dark wood (real wood) items.

Brown is 90´s colour, you should go with a more monochromatic/neutral setup.

16. speedfreak

speedfreak Well-Known Member

Stick to black leather and see how it will turn out. If you'll find it too dark, just paint the walls white. Plus, you could also throw in a white/grey carpet to lighten it up a bit.

17. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

Stick to black leather and see how it will turn out. If you'll find it too dark, just paint the walls white. Plus, you could also throw in a white/grey carpet to lighten it up a bit.

black leather won't go with such dark floor.

[​IMG]

note the flooring colour and the 3 seater...

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Agree that black wouldn't look so hot. Plus, what could be more boring than black leather?