1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What color shirt and tie would go with gray suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slacker4life, Nov 4, 2009.

1. slacker4life

slacker4life New Member

can people give me some ideas on what would be a good color to wear with a gray suit, and what color shoes?

2. Corniche

Corniche Well-Known Member

can people give me some ideas on what would be a good color to wear with a gray suit, and what color shoes?

Pink is what better matches a grey suit for me, never blue!

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

Virtually anything. But for the best way(s) to wear grey just google "Gianni Agnelli".

Also, colour is important, but texture, brightness, and weight are equally if not more important when combining garments.

4. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Well-Known Member

Um, anything, and anything. I love blue with grey especially.

5. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Well-Known Member

Just about any shirt and tie as long as they work with each other. I suppose you probably would want to avoid shirts that are darker than the suit.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Try Here. Use the links on the right for colors you need. Enjoy.

7. surfnbank

surfnbank Well-Known Member

Depends on the gray.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

never blue!
    Who knew!

9. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Well-Known Member

I have a lot of grey suits. Colors I wear with them include:

Lavender
    Pink
    Blue
    Yellow

And combinations thereof, depending on the tie.

Grey goes with anything. I do like blue/purple/lavender/pink with it particularly.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

never blue!

False.

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Black shirt, white striped tie, white shoes.

End thread.

12. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

You need darker color ties with light-medium gray suits if you want to have the same sharpness-factor of those around you wearing darker suits. I suggest black or black-striped ties. if you go with pink, red, yellow, etc like other posters recommended, you will look too casual compared to the guy in a darker suit next to you.
    [​IMG]

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

never blue!

You need darker color ties with light-medium gray suits if you want to have the same sharpness-factor of those around you wearing darker suits. I suggest black or black-striped ties. if you go with pink, red, yellow, etc like other posters recommended, you will look too casual compared to the guy in a darker suit next to you.
    [​IMG]

14. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

Pink is what better matches a grey suit for me, never blue!

Never blue? Since when?

15. MrNick

MrNick Well-Known Member

What would be a good shirt/tie combo for this gray suit? Most my dress shirts are blue, and I don't have a tie yet. I'm just now building up my professional wardrobe, I need to buy some more shirts and ties.

[​IMG]

16. mt_spiffy

[​IMG]

What is this suit? I love it!

17. mt_spiffy

What would be a good shirt/tie combo for this gray suit? Most my dress shirts are blue, and I don't have a tie yet. I'm just now building up my professional wardrobe, I need to buy some more shirts and ties.

[​IMG]

Go out an buy some ties immediately. $1-2 a thrift stores, $7-15 at Burlingtons, Marshalls, etc.

18. MrNick

MrNick Well-Known Member

Go out an buy some ties immediately. $1-2 a thrift stores, $7-15 at Burlingtons, Marshalls, etc.

I have the day off so I was planning on doing that, I'm horrible with colors so I need to find out what will go with my shirts and the suit. I'm a very small guy, 5'5'' 120 lbs, so I think a skinny tie would work best, a regular tie would look too large. Any thoughts?

19. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

What is this suit? I love it!

I'm not sure who made it, but it's definitely UK. I believe Kaplan's posting of the pic below was to rebut my statement that lighter gray suits look less sharp compared to darker suits juxtaposed. By 'sharp', I guess I rather mean gravitas or authority... but I also mean the stronger color contrast you get with dark suits. The setting I'm imagining is a courtroom.. the grey haired fellow below looks good merely because his age compensates for the more casual nature of his suit. If both of the guys below were the same age and arguing in court, I think my points would become more evident.

[​IMG]

20. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

You would wear a darker tie with a gray suit in order to provide contrast, which emphasizes the shape and fit of the chest and lapels of the suit. In Mr. Agnelli's case, above, his suit already has admirable shape and fit and need not rely on color to achieve it. He could, instead, rely on texture, for example. Most are not similarly blessed with his elan, his tailor, or his status as an indsutrial magnate who didn't need to dress to impress -- thus, wear a darker or contrasting tie.