1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What clothes did you wear as a child?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Early ages (0-3): Dayton's & Sears stuff. My grandma got me lots of stuff from Woolworth's & Montgomery Wards. Had a lot of OshKosh B'Gosh overalls....

4-7: Gymboree, Children's Place, Sears/Carson Pirie Scott/ Dayton's Stuff

7-13: Lots of plain color pocket T's from Lands End, Levis 501 Slims and Addidas Sambas.

14-16: My mom was nuts for the Lands End catalog (before Sears sold them). Lands end jeans, shirts, jackets. Patagonia fleece. Vasque dark brown hiking boots with the red laces that went all the way to the toes.

17-19: Beat up flannel shirts & T-shirts, slimmer cut jeans (Lots of Wrangler with the leather patch on the back pocket), old Levi cords, Vietnam-era military shirts/jackets. Shoes were a beat up pair of New Balance 574s.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

As a young child, I wore short-pants suits in the fashion of the times for dressy occasions.

For day-to-day wear, I commonly wore T-shirts and jeans (alternated with shorts in the summer). Sneakers were my most common footwear, as I recall.

I remember having an alpaca lined leather jacket. It came with a letter from "Joe Alpaca." I can remember much more of my pre-pubescent attire.

By the time I went to prep school at age 14, my attire wasn't all that much different from what I wear today: sport shirts and khakis for day-to-day casual wear, sport coat and slacks for dressier occasions. I did not have a proper suit until the latter part of my undergraduate days in college. As I recall, I bought it at Harris & Frank on Wilshire Blvd. in LA in the company of my uncle.

3. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Cool Thread
    This was when I was three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I grew up 'poor but proper' (my dad was in the army, so the house always smelled of wool uniforms, leather and boot polish. I still love polishing shoes and the smell of shoe polish...). When I was really young my mum used to make almost all my clothes (and hers too). This being the 70s, some of them were pretty crazy: I have pictures of us out, with me in what looks like a jacket made from blue and red shagpile carpeting, and my mum wearing an almost floor-length purple fake-fur-trimmed cloak...

These day my wife makes some things for my son (who is two), but because kids of this age grow so quickly they hardly have time to wear clothes out, so we get most of his stuff from Value Village (a Canadian thrift store) - so he tends to wear second-hand Gap, Oshkosh etc. The only unusual stuff he has is either home-made or Japanese (from my wife's family or our occasional trips back there) - I like Japanese kids' Ts with amusing or inexplicable English slogans. The coolest thing my wife has made for him was a 2-piece vest and trouser 'suit' made from an old pair of my suit trousers in midnight blue herringbone Super150s!

Anyway, this is my little boy last fall (with my wife in the background):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm the 'baby' on the left.