1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What car do you drive?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by cartisdm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

This is probably not the case in the US, but at least in Norway (and I reckon in the UK as well), insurance price is based on, but not limited to:
    • Car model - if it's a popular model, often represented in crashes, it's going to push the price up
    • Horsepower
    • Previous accidents
    • How long you want to drive each year
    • List price
    So for an expensive and powerful car, with a young driver, it's going to skyrocket. £20k seems high though, but if he has a bad track record it's actually too excessive for those two cars.

I heard a story about a guy who had an older Ferrari. Insurance was pretty cheap - it was about 10 models or so in the entire country, and he paid the equivalent to a medium sized sedan - think Audi A4. Unfortunately, one of the other owners had an accident and had to use his insurance to cover it, and the next year the bill was quadrupled.

Insurance is about the same everywhere, except that the US differs from Europe in the fact that rarity would cost you more in the US, whereas it can sometimes cost you less in Europe, as you said. In the US they'd charge you for the risk incurred on a rare car that would be expensive to repair/replace.

For example, you could buy one of those turnkey hi-po builder cars (Alpina BMW, Brabus MB, etc) and in Europe the insurance would cost less due to rarity/risk of being stolen I guess. In America, good luck having one of those cars, they would probably be defined as exotics.

FWIW 20,000GBP is insane for an Audi, any Audi, maybe barring a V10 R8 or something. When I was in high school, with a bad driving record (two totals on cheap cars within a year and some speeding tickets) I won some scholarships to college that added up to a full ride, and so my dad told me I could use some of what was going to be my college funds to buy a car I wanted, we'd made that deal quite a while back, despite my driving record previously. For shits and giggles, I got insurance quotes on a lot of cars; needless to say, many insurance companies would not insure me unless it was a mundane compact or something, but I did get quotes on things like Supra turbos, old air cooled 911's, NSX's, BMW M cars, etc - most of those were gonna be $5-10K, I think the Porsche was gonna be $12K/year, given my awful driving record and the fact I was 18. Ended up getting a BMW 540i, and insurance was less than a Civic (this was when Civics were about guaranteed to be stolen from you)...

I had a friend in college who had a Supra turbo; I don't remember what his insurance was but it was in that $5-10K range as well, he was 19 or something. He also had a bad driving record, and had totaled a new Lexus before for a large claim (like $40-50K)...

so.... $30,000USD/year for an RS5 sounds pretty high to me :p

2. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

so.... $30,000USD/year for an RS5 sounds pretty high to me :p
    Sure, for the RS5 alone, that's high, no doubt about it, but for both an RS5 and the A8L it's not too bad.

Too bad the insurance is for the driver. We're lucky enough to insure the car here in Norway, so it's common to add your parents as the owners of the car, insure it on them and then add yourself as an additional driver. You're easily looking at 75% in savings each year.

3. findtheshit

findtheshit Member

4. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I drive an 09 Accord, which I have been unimpressed by since my lease began.

5. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

i drive margiela shoes. you see, they are so comfortably walking is like flying

6. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

i drive margiela shoes. you see, they are so comfortably walking is like flying

not sure which of us is a bigger sucker.

7. porschemad911

porschemad911 Well-Known Member

8. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

He is: Margiela shoes have terrible arch support.

9. the shah

^ my gats are incredibly comfortable not sure what you talking about ?
    i waste what would be downpayment, insurance, gas, maintenance, lease+interest(??/!!) on overpriced clothing instead. if i get a vespa, i will certainly take that title away from you. by the way did you see the ninja edit or are we so alike in thought?

10. pgd3

pgd3 Well-Known Member

Currently my 91 e30 BMW. Or I have a R80/7 bmw motorcycle.

Looking for an older 325ix w/ a blown motor. I'd love to transplant a TDI into one.

11. the shah

the BMW 2002 was best

12. pgd3

pgd3 Well-Known Member

In the united states most of the 2002's have those horrible rubber bumpers.

For instance: Cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not Cool:

[​IMG]

The 2002tii is quite the auto.

13. the shah

an unfortunate truth. there was one around here for some time but plagued with the rubber.

14. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

^ my gats are incredibly comfortable not sure what you talking about?

Every pair of Margiela shoes I've ever tried on"”and that's quite a few"”has been horribly uncomfortable with virtually no support. Cool looking kicks, but not an example of fine cobbling by any stretch of the imagination.

15. the shah

Every pair of Margiela shoes I've ever tried on"”and that's quite a few"”has been horribly uncomfortable with virtually no support. Cool looking kicks, but not an example of fine cobbling by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry to hear that, I should specify that gats = sneakers

16. dream34

dream34 Member

Drive it everywhere except to work. I was even able to find a Recaro baby seat that matched my interior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

That's one hell of a daily driver.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Drive it everywhere except to work. I was even able to find a Recaro baby seat that matched my interior.

It's a real beauty.

19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Cars from that era are better looking than pretty much anything being made today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]