1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are your cheap must-do's when you go to New York?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jaychiz, Mar 23, 2011.

1. svd

svd Well-Known Member

Just how packed does this get? most free days at famous museums IVe been to have rediculous lines. Id rather just pay the $15 and go on my time vs. waiting an hour and being crowded.

Also, what is the better museum choice around central park - the met or the natural history? FWIW - I get bored to tears of reanaissance art / religious paints / portraits of rich, old european twats

The Met has plenty of that, but also good bit of modern art. Two remarkably different museums - seems like you should best know which you'd appreciate more.

2. juuceman

juuceman Well-Known Member

Go to the Met. Temple of Dendor. Done. There's a Cezanne exhibit going on now as well.

Hit Gray's on 72nd, it's a NY thing and is much better than a dirty water hot dog.

There's a Turkish restaurant, Turkuaz, near your hostel. It's damn good but not dirt cheap.

If you're looking for incredible pizza, go to East Harlem to the original Patsy's. For a slice, Joe's. Artichoke is many things, including good, but it's not NY pizza.

On the UES near the Met is an italian sandwich restaurant called Via Quadronno. Great coffee as well.

In the East Village is a panini shop that only sells porchetta panini and plates. It's called, wait for it.. Porchetta.

On the same block (7th street, btwn 1st and A) there is also a cheap lobster roll place, and arepa place, and a few other cheap restaurants. They're all very good, and cheap.

St Marks place has Yaktori places that are good but the midtown versions are generally better. Tuesday night on of the midtown places has $1 skewers. Big line, but cheap beer and food = a good night.

3. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

Sal and Carmine's near your hostel has pretty good slices. Best on the UWS, at least.

4. marg

marg Well-Known Member

that chicken & rice on 53rd & 6th is solid, but the food definitely tastes better after the bar. probably because the food is seasoned with anticipation from the drunken 30 minute line.

5. latkaguy

latkaguy Well-Known Member

In terms of things to see, the Brooklyn Museum is vastly underrated and will never be jammed when you are there. While you are in Brooklyn, eat at Junior's (cheaper than Katz's, and with the best cheesecake you will find anywhere -- stick to the plain one). Wander around Brooklyn Heights, which will give you the charm of Old New York, plus a killer view of Manhattan. And you can walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge, which will take you to the South Seaport area, which is also really nice.

As for Manhattan, I don't consider a trip there complete without going to the Neue Gallerie on 5th. Don't miss it.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

In terms of things to see, the Brooklyn Museum is vastly underrated and will never be jammed when you are there. While you are in Brooklyn, eat at Junior's (cheaper than Katz's, and with the best cheesecake you will find anywhere -- stick to the plain one). Wander around Brooklyn Heights, which will give you the charm of Old New York, plus a killer view of Manhattan. And you can walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge, which will take you to the South Seaport area, which is also really nice.

As for Manhattan, I don't consider a trip there complete without going to the Neue Gallerie on 5th. Don't miss it.

Unless you are having the cheesecake/burger/wings, DO NOT eat at Junior's!

7. latkaguy

I haven't eaten there in years, but loved their pickled tongue sandwiches, and also all the freebie pickles it served. Generally, I would just go for cheesecake, which is fabulous. How bad could it possibly have gotten?

8. juuceman

Eat at Mile End if you're coming to Brooklyn and want deli. Do NOT eat at Junior's. The cheesecake has fallen off significantly and the rest of the menu is garbage.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I haven't eaten there in years, but loved their pickled tongue sandwiches, and also all the freebie pickles it served. Generally, I would just go for cheesecake, which is fabulous. How bad could it possibly have gotten?

Cheesecake is still top notch...but the food had fallen off yrs ago. Outside of a burger/wings....you can do much better. But def get some cheesecake!

10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

LOL at Junior being the best cheesecake in NYC. Starbucks serves the best espresso too !

11. latkaguy

LOL at Junior being the best cheesecake in NYC. Starbucks serves the best espresso too !

OK, Shmartiepants. Granted that my knowledge of Juniors is years old, but where IS the best cheesecake in NY - a traditional, plain-jane, so rich you can barely finish a slice, New York cheesecake?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

There's as many opinions as Newyorkers but my personal favorite, which is far better than Junior, is Eileen's.

- Mr. Shmartiepants

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Cheesecake is pretty much the only dessert I crave.

14. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

I seriously cringed when I read that.
    There's as many opinions as Newyorkers but my personal favorite, which is far better than Junior, is Eileen's. - Mr. Shmartiepants
    Hers is great. Kosher too so iammatt can eat there often. And there are others as well but I tire of sharing my picks with people who eat at Juniors.

15. JSC437

JSC437 Well-Known Member

Cheesecake at Mercer Kitchen is good. But it might be too $$$ for your cheap food list.

16. juuceman

OK, Shmartiepants. Granted that my knowledge of Juniors is years old, but where IS the best cheesecake in NY - a traditional, plain-jane, so rich you can barely finish a slice, New York cheesecake?

Serendipity 3. It's got a walnut crust, instead of the classic graham cracker, but it's damn good.

17. JSC437

JSC437 Well-Known Member

Serendipity 3. It's got a walnut crust, instead of the classic graham cracker, but it's damn good.

Didn't that place close because of health code violations? Maybe the crust is more than walnuts.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=5763016

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

To be clear, I didn't want to start a debate on where the best cheesecake in NYC is. As I said, there are many options and different favorites - and I'm glad people voice their own favorites.

I just wanted to slay the myth of Juniors as "the best" particularly because (a) there are tons of great and many better alternatives, (b) these crown titles are annoying, and (c) those titles lose all their meaning when a business expands and industrializes its products like Juniors has, with many locations and retailers through the city (and outside), most of which don't sell very fresh slices. If I can find a slice of your cake wrapped in plastic at an airport, it is unlikely that it's the best stuff out there. There are lots of people producing great, fresh stuff here.

There are a bunch of myths like that in NYC that keep going and going... Katz, Lombardi, Magnolia, Palm, etc....

19. changy

changy Well-Known Member

Best cheesecake I've had is at babbo

Also +1 to neue gallerie

The Jewish museum is free on Saturdays

20. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member