• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your "Beater" Shoes? (+Resurrection of a Beloved Pair of Aldens)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's beater shoes are? I thought it would be cool to see pictures. The SWD forum has their jeans fade threads. I've owned this pair of Alden loafers for a few years now and worn them pretty continuously. They have a lot of mileage on them. The insoles are molded perfectly to my feet. It's always astonishing to feel how comfortable these are after wearing heavier dress shoe all day. They are the Leydon last model made from chemically-treated "glove soft" leather and "flex" soles. The most telling signs of their age are that you can barely see the Alden logo gold text anymore. There are also the deep creases in the unique "glove soft" leather that Alden uses on these flex welt loafers. I don't have to the heart to get rid of them though. I used to like wearing them with SC's and trousers, but now my tastes have evolved and I only wear them with jeans, often in place of boat shoes. This means that they have taken a ton of abuse lately---spilled drinks, people stepping on my feet in crowded places, etc. I looked at them the other day and noticed what a sorry state they were in. Something had to be done.

Materials, below box:
-Saphir Renovateur -Saphir cream -C&J wax (actually ended up swapping this for Saphir wax, when I couldn't get the C&J wax to shine well) -AE edge dressing​

The other contents of the box, for anyone curious

I thought about using the Saphir Renomat and Dubbin that I own, but I thought they would be unnecessary because the Alden glove leather was so soft to begin with. Hanger Project uses this stuff for their "Presidential" shine guide. Probably better for regular calf.

After wiping away the grime with water

After a coat of Renovateur

After a coat of Saphir cream

After a 3 coats of Saphir wax and also edge dressing. I don't particularly like "mirror shines" so left them fairly dull

I think I may have gone overboard with the edge dressing

Overall, a pretty big improvement.. It goes to show how worth it real calf shoes are over corrected grain ones. If these had been CG, the leather would probably be cracked beyond repair. With these, some Saphir brings them back to life. What is your beater pair of shoes? Shoes that have been with you through a lot that just keep chugging along. Post pictures

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought about using a lighter brown edge dressing like @NAMOR used on his Marlows, but realized I didn't have any in my kit. Might order some for the next time I need to shine them

http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...n-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/350_50#post_4933791

97bbcd12_DSC03766.jpeg

When the time comes to replace the soles, I'm thinking replacing them with dainite soles. Red brick might be a cool looking change of pace

http://leathersoul.com/2012/04/25/red-dainite-resole-from-b-nelson-shoe/

r9862.jpg

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of AE's that officially hit the decade mark. Or may have last year. Purchased my Grandma Clags either at the start of my sophomore or junior year of undergrad.

Still gets regular wear. I'll post some pictures if you think it's in the spirit of this thread. Actually just used reno on them a few days ago.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun idea for a thread. Subscribed and plan to contribute.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My beaters are Wolverine 1000 Mile boots. Currently out of the rotation because they need to be resoled.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You did a really good job on that refurbishment -
current casual 'beaters' - navy sperry gold cup
peepwall[1].gif

current work/'CM' beaters - either

enzo bonafe chukkas

carmina loafers

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my faithful beaters. Brown Calf Chukkas, Loake Pimlico. I've had them about two years only, but I've only started wearing full grain shoes about that long. They actually hurt a lot on the first 10 wears but are now by far my most comfortable shoes. I also wear them with anything from jeans, to cords, to flannels, to linen trousers, though I wear my loafers more for those. They have rubber soles, so I don't worry about the rain. If I had one pair of shoes and have to make do, these would be it.

Trying to post photos, but internet is too bad it won't load, so I'll get to that in a bit.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish that my beater shoes were as fancy of some of yours, some Alden or Enzo
lol8[1].gif
, but for beater shoes I want them to be something I don't care if they get wet or something like that. Sometimes I don't store them with shoe trees. So these are my beater shoes...

For dressier look, a brand made in Mexico, I think it's jrd's favorite brand
lol8[1].gif
, Cuadra.

And for a casual look, some suede driver of a mexican brand too.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Internet! Finally!

Here are my chukkas:

By the way the glove leather loafers look nice and supple. Mine is just regular calf and I do wish it was something lighter. I'm getting another pair in soft unlined suede so that should be nice.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ten years old:

My instep is a bit too high, but they are super comfortable. They are frequently worn.

Has topys. Never been resoled, but when the time comes, I probably will, despite the fact that they are just AE's

Last edited:

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
Recently got my beater loafers resoled- a pair of Allen Edmond Graysons. I love these shoes, they fit my foot perfectly which is rare for my feet. I picked them up used on ebay and wore them consistently through grad school. Planning on wearing them until the uppers completely give out.

Skelnik

Reaction score
My beaters are a pair of Andrew Marc Woodside chukkas. I usually wear them on bad weather days. Yesterday I scuffed the heck out them on the curb. I was so happy I was wearing them and not any of my shell cordovans. Once they go I think I'll get a pair of Meermin boots to fill the role.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Ten years old:

My instep is a bit too high, but they are super comfortable. They are frequently worn.

Has topys. Never been resoled, but when the time comes, I probably will, despite the fact that they are just AE's

Nice beaters. I guess that says something about AE being 10 years old and not even resoled yet.

bc78

Reaction score
My beaters are a pair of Loake Pimlico chukkas that I got on sale from Periwear. They're dark brown suede with dainite. If I need to be dressed conservatively I have a pair of Vass black F last oxfords with topys on them. I try not to abuse those too much so I carry galoshes too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads