1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

I picked up a copy of 'Remembrance' a while ago based on a good friend's recommendation, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My friend is quite a bit more cerebral than I am, though, so I fully expect not to "get it."

You can "get it" just fine and still dislike it, trust me. [​IMG]

2. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

Moby dick is probably the only book I've attempted to read twice and never could finish.
    I've started Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternel Golden Braid roughly five times, and I don't think I ever made it further than 1/3 of the way through.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

A friend of mine sent me a book called: "The Little Prince", by Antoine de St. Exupery. I' just started.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Just finished Charles B. Dew's "Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War." A very short and very interesting read. I believe this is the first scholarly work to deeply analyze the findings of the secession commissioners (their views are disturbing, to say the least).

5. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I've started Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternel Golden Braid roughly five times, and I don't think I ever made it further than 1/3 of the way through.

Yeah, that was a tough one. I plowed through it over 20 years ago, but I cannot claim to have understood it all [​IMG]

6. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine sent me a book called: "The Little Prince", by Antoine de St. Exupery. I' just started.

Well, then -- you should be finished right about now! [​IMG]

7. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

I finished Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club today. Magnificent intellectual history, well deserving of all the acclaim it received. Just one criticism: I wish someone had prevailed on LM to include a cast of characters with brief bios, because he deals with scores of thinkers, many of whom disappear for hundreds of pages and then crop up again, and a score-card would really be helpful.

8. greekonomist

greekonomist Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I didn't finish GEB either. But it looks nice on my shelf. [​IMG]

9. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Serve the People! by Yan Lianke, which has perhaps the best blurb ever:

This novel slanders Mao Zedong, the army, and is overflowing with sex. . . . do not distribute, pass around, comment on, excerpt from it, or report on it.

10. Connemara

I'm gonna grab McCarthy's "ThE Road" froo m the library tomorrow. After that, probably Middlemarch (thanks LK).

11. Philosoph

Philosoph Well-Known Member

I remember that book coming to my attention years ago, but I never picked it up. Maybe I should. The title fascinates me for some morbid reason.

12. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Well-Known Member

I've recently made a conscious effort to drop the quantity of trash I read. I've just finished crime and punishment, surprisingly readable, I was expecting a bit of hard work.
    I'm currently into tender is the night, which had a few mentions earlier in the thread. Fitzgerald should be SF's house author, though Gatsby may be a bit close to the bone perhaps?

13. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

I'm currently into tender is the night, which had a few mentions earlier in the thread. Fitzgerald should be SF's house author, though Gatsby may be a bit close to the bone perhaps?

Recovering himself in a minute he opened for us two hulking patent cabinets which held his massed suits and dressing-gowns and ties, and his shirts, piled like bricks in stacks a dozen high.

"I've got a man in England who buys me clothes. He sends over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall."

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher"”shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

"They're such beautiful shirts," she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such"”such beautiful shirts before."

The Great Gatsby, Chapter Five

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Small Stakes Hold'Em by Sklansky. A really, really good book.

15. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

My Life in Court - Louis Nizer

16. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins

1/2 way through and am having trouble putting it down.

17. Connemara

Had some time to myself today so I thumbed through Seamus Heaney's "North". Never gets old. Up next is O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra.

18. Connemara

Just picked up John Banville's The Untouchable. I'm going to read (re-read in many cases) all of his novels in an effort to find a passage that struck me like no other. It basically defined the meaning of love. It was ethereal. P.S. If anyone knows the book/passage, feel free to save me all the trouble [​IMG]

19. landho

landho Well-Known Member

Small Stakes Hold'Em by Sklansky. A really, really good book.

Sklansky, Malmuth, and Ed Miller, and it was Ed Miller (IIRC) was the primary contributor (per the preface).

20. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Now reading "The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith & Politics in a Post-Religious Right America" by Jim Wallis.

Up next, "Red Letter Christians: A Citizens Guide to Faith and Politics" by Tony Campolo or "Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq" by William R. Polk.