1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

I usually tend to read more than one book at any given time. Started on Melville's Moby Dick, almost finished Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table. And I got the huge Black Lizard Big Book Of Pulps collection for christmas, so I'm reading one story per day from that one. Moby Dick is one of those books that make me embarassed why I haven't attempted reading them before. It seems quite magnificent. The Lethem book isn't quite on par with Motherless Brooklyn or Gun With Occasional Music, but it's entertaining and clever enough.
    I loved Moby Dick. Thinking about reading Billy Budd. Right now I'm reading Angela's Ashes when I'm on the toilet. Listened to the audiobook read by McCourt years ago. Damn they were poor.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I usually tend to read more than one book at any given time. Started on Melville's Moby Dick, almost finished Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table. And I got the huge Black Lizard Big Book Of Pulps collection for christmas, so I'm reading one story per day from that one.

Moby Dick is one of those books that make me embarassed why I haven't attempted reading them before. It seems quite magnificent. The Lethem book isn't quite on par with Motherless Brooklyn or Gun With Occasional Music, but it's entertaining and clever enough.

Moby dick is probably the only book I've attempted to read twice and never could finish. In fact I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where the boat leaves the port. For some reason it bores me to death and the writing annoys me in the extreme.

Last book read:
    ImpuretÃ[​IMG]s by Philippe Djian

Now reading:
    InstantanÃ[​IMG]s by Alain Robbe-Grillet

3. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

Moby dick is probably the only book I've attempted to read twice and never could finish. In fact I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where the boat leaves the port. For some reason it bores me to death and the writing annoys me in the extreme.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Proust.

4. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

I loved Moby Dick. Thinking about reading Billy Budd.

I'm a big Melville-ite. If Billy Budd is sort of bachelor's level Melville, and Moby Dick is definitely master's level, then the PhD level texts by Melville are Mardi (the single strangest book I've ever read, against formidable competition); The Confidence Man; Pierre; and the book-length narrative poem Clarel. Mind-benders!

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Gosh. I love Proust. I am a sucker for authors and filmmakers that deal with memory (Tarkovsky comes to mind). I failed at reading Billy Budd. And I understand there's a lot of technical whaling shit that goes on for hundreds of pages in MD that has kept me from ever attempting to read that book. About 400 pages into Magic Mountain right now and still going strong. Very witty and morbid book. I am a sucker for German writers I think. All those authors that can't crawl out from under the shadow of Nietzsche.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Ha, when I read Fuuma's post I immediately recalled your earlier discussion of Proust and thought "Well, coming from someone who liked Remembrance of Things Past . . ."

I'm a Moby Dick fan (a Moby Grape fan as well, for that matter), although I can see how how it might be hard for some people to connect with. Although it doesn't sound like this is Fuuma's issue, I think it's one of those books that some people hate simply because they were forced to read it in high school.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Gosh. I love Proust. I am a sucker for authors and filmmakers that deal with memory (Tarkovsky comes to mind).

Have you read Time's Arrow by Martin Amis? Given ^^, I recommend it.

8. Saucemaster

I have a friend who loves Proust to death. In almost every other way imaginable, we see art, music, literature, film, etc in almost exactly the same way. Our opinions come so close to mirroring each other, entirely independently, that it's sometimes scary. But we simply can't agree on Proust. He just isn't for me. [​IMG]

No hate on people who like him, though. I mean, I could wax vituperative for a while, but it would just be to amuse myself. I see why he appeals to others.

9. topbroker

I failed at reading Billy Budd. And I understand there's a lot of technical whaling shit that goes on for hundreds of pages in MD that has kept me from ever attempting to read that book.

Well, yes. Moby Dick is as much an encyclopedia as a novel. [​IMG]

10. topbroker

Ha, when I read Fuuma's post I immediately recalled your earlier discussion of Proust and thought "Well, coming from someone who liked Remembrance of Things Past . . ."

I'm a Moby Dick fan (a Moby Grape fan as well, for that matter), although I can see how how it might be hard for some people to connect with. Although it doesn't sound like this is Fuuma's issue, I think it's one of those books that some people hate simply because they were forced to read it in high school.

I would never assign Moby Dick to classes of high-schoolers (and I've been a high-school English teacher), although I would urge it on individual exceptionally gifted high-school-age readers. Too advanced for general consumption.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

To be fair, while I normaly read english speaking authors in the original text I happen to have the translation at home that I got from god knows where so this might be the issue. On the other hand Jean Giono waxes poetic about the french version in the intro so who knows....

12. awcollin

awcollin Well-Known Member

Also recently finished Augustus, by Anthony Everitt.

How was Augustus? It's been on my short list of books to read since it came out, I just always end up moving something else in front of it. But it looks to be a good read.

13. Saucemaster

How was Augustus? It's been on my short list of books to read since it came out, I just always end up moving something else in front of it. But it looks to be a good read.

Pretty good. Easy to read, refreshed my memory and taught me a few things I hadn't learned. Interesting view of the man. It's a pretty quick read, too.

14. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

John Adams by McCullough

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Gosh. I love Proust. I am a sucker for authors and filmmakers that deal with memory (Tarkovsky comes to mind). I failed at reading Billy Budd. And I understand there's a lot of technical whaling shit that goes on for hundreds of pages in MD that has kept me from ever attempting to read that book. About 400 pages into Magic Mountain right now and still going strong. Very witty and morbid book. I am a sucker for German writers I think. All those authors that can't crawl out from under the shadow of Nietzsche.
    One of my favorite writers is Thomas Mann. "The Magic Mountain", for me at least, is a very comforting book. We all need our own Settembrini.

16. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Just finished (last night) The Sign of the Book by John Dunning. Reading at the moment Royal Flash by George MacDonald Fraser.

17. denimdestroyedmylife

We all need our own Settembrini.
    Funny you should say that. Label King came to mind immediately when Mann introduced that character. Thanks for the rec, lawyerdad.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. Label King came to mind immediately when Mann introduced that character.

Thanks for the rec, lawyerdad.

But who was Naphta?

19. denimdestroyedmylife

Someone in Men's Clothing, to be sure. [​IMG]

20. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I picked up a copy of 'Remembrance' a while ago based on a good friend's recommendation, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My friend is quite a bit more cerebral than I am, though, so I fully expect not to "get it." I'm working my way through Doris Kearns Goodwin's 'Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln'. Considering that I've always had a constitutional aversion to reading history, it's pretty fascinating.