1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Why the emoticon?

2. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Why the emoticon?

'cuz The Alchemist is a mediocre book filled with new age claptrap that has been embraced by mushbrains as the greatest work of "spiritualilty" of the modern era. It's Carlos Castaneda all over again.

3. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

'cuz The Alchemist is a mediocre book filled with new age claptrap that has been embraced by mushbrains as the greatest work of "spiritualilty" of the modern era. It's Carlos Castaneda all over again.

It's a quick, enjoyable read that you can get something out of if you aren't too busy being too pretentious to allow it happen. It's not the world's greatest book, but it's quite nice and easily applicable to whatever circumstances you're reading it under.

4. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Well it piqued my interest, I'll give it a shot. Although I love reading great classics of the western canon, I love trash novels just as much.

5. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

6. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

7. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

^Haha, I just came back to this thread to say "wow, a movie too!". I actually read it when younger, but I'm rereading it because I came across a copy. I'm enjoying it even more the second time around, I think I missed some of the subtlety when I was a kid.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Today I finished Again to Carthage - the sequel to Once a Runner, and found it okay but a tad underwhelming. Kind of contrived and loaded with BS at times. At least I no longer wonder.

Have started Rubicon by Tom Holland, about the last century or so of the Roman Empire. It got my interest from the Hardcore History series about the same topic. Thus far I'm enjoying it, and will probably discuss with the son.

9. turisti84

turisti84 New Member

I was reading The Women's Golf Handbook by Vivien Saunders but got bored and now I'm reading SF [​IMG]

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Today I finished Again to Carthage - the sequel to Once a Runner, and found it okay but a tad underwhelming. Kind of contrived and loaded with BS at times. At least I no longer wonder.

I read Once a Runner a while ago and found it sort of irritating. I decided to skip the sequel. It sounds like that was probably a good choice.

11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Was going to finish up Destination Void this weekend, haven't picked up the Nook lately.

But....then I saw that Netflix is streaming Cheers....I'll have to finish this book up later heh

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Just started Bukowski's Ham on Rye.

13. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Well-Known Member

Just started All the Devils are Here by Bethany McLean.

14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I have a A Dance with Dragons in my hands....but I can't start reading it because I have 600 pages of book 4 left [​IMG]

Also...it is one giantass hardcover. It takes up almost as much space and weighs as much as my entire box set of 1-4 in paperback.

15. bglynn

bglynn Member

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

16. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Now a days i am reading the novel of Poelo Coelho's called "Alchemist".It is the best novel on rituals and on the inside human.You must read this.

Have been meaning to read this for a while.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Just finished Fritz Leiber: Our Lady of Darkness, 'twas quite entertaining also due to the fact that it played in a milieu I like (artists and eccentrics) and dealt with themes I am interested in (occult, blending of reality and fantsay, madness), but also the writing was good, solid craftsmanship.

Today I also read some theories by German poet Durs Grünbein; I have heard much good of him but was not too impressed.

Next I'll probably get into the new novel by China Mièville called Embassytown, and'll also read some more (ancient) history, maybe Egyptian.

18. thedapperguru

thedapperguru Active Member

I'm reading Donald Trump's "Think BIG and Kick Ass in Business and Life"

19. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  20. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

I just bought all the Jane Austen novels for 7 bucks. Haven't read them since middle school, so I'll be reading them over the next week.