1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

After liking Money by Martin Amis I decided to pick up Dead Babies. So far so great. Guy has fantastic pacing and uses words like no other English writer, imo.

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

finished liar's poker and joel greenblott's little book that beats wall street or something like that. he sucks at writing and the book only really has one idea that i could've probably looked up. do not buy the little book. liar's poker was fun

read chushingura and musashi's book (five rings?). need to read bushido soul of the amurai

3. cmc

cmc Member

After liking Money by Martin Amis I decided to pick up Dead Babies. So far so great. Guy has fantastic pacing and uses words like no other English writer, imo.

This.

Money was the first Amis I read and have been hooked since.

4. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Just started reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. It always takes me a little while to get back into his writing style/cadence.

5. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

6. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Just started reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. It always takes me a little while to get back into his writing style/cadence.

I found myself laughing while reading this. Not something I was used to when reading McCarthy.

7. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

I found myself laughing while reading this. Not something I was used to when reading McCarthy.

Yeah, when I read the blurb on the back and it mentioned "humor," I was a bit surprised. I haven't gotten far enough into it to find any yet, however.

8. onion

onion Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Though I'm actually reading the revised edition published earlier this year (which has a different cover).

9. shima

shima Member

I watched the movie the other week and thought it was fantastic. Let us know what you think of the book.

Oh, the book is SO much better than the film. You'll get to know the characters better and there are many great scenes which didn't make it to the movie. As usual when books becomes movies.

Definetly worth reading.

10. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Låt den rätte komma in, or in English: Let the right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

I watched the movie the other week and thought it was fantastic. Let us know what you think of the book.

Oh, the book is SO much better than the film. You'll get to know the characters better and there are many great scenes which didn't make it to the movie. As usual when books becomes movies.

Definetly worth reading.

I loved the movie, was disappointed in the book. It's well written, but I thought the movie had better pacing and overall mood. One of the rare occasions where I felt that the movie improved on the book.

11. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    just finished gary Shteyngart's "super sad true love story". i wanted to like it more than i did. i really liked "absurdistan." And much of the new one is terrific. but there is just an overall sourness to it, a view that is so dystopian that in the end i was just kind of glad it was over. of course, that would probably make it perfect for some people.

12. Lokesh

Lokesh Well-Known Member

Just read The Lost Symbol, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire. Now reading The Madman's Tale by John Katzenbach

13. darnelled

darnelled Well-Known Member

I'm about 80% through The Fountainhead after readin Atlas Shrugged last year.

14. jesask

jesask Well-Known Member

Drood by Dan Simmons

15. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FYI we had to review the part of this relevant to where I work and it was pretty factually incorrect. His people told us he remembered the event correctly. The problem is, who he described talking to, fit no one.

17. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I'm about 80% through The Fountainhead after readin Atlas Shrugged last year.

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time.

18. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Well-Known Member

a portrait of the artist as a young man

19. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

dude. i read for an hour and got pass page 20 when i just couldnt do it anymore

20. skywalker

skywalker Well-Known Member

a portrait of the artist as a young man

I read that one not too long ago.