• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

jaac

Reaction score
Open, Agassi's biography, it's kinda repetetive but does provide quite a good insight into the inner psyche of a professional Athlete, also i didn't know his child hood was so fucked up. Basically he was groomed by his taskmaster father to play tennis since the age of 3.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
Open, Agassi's biography, it's kinda repetetive but does provide quite a good insight into the inner psyche of a professional Athlete, also i didn't know his child hood was so fucked up. Basically he was groomed by his taskmaster father to play tennis since the age of 3.

I seem to recall reading somewhere he said that he actually hated tennis, and it was only a few years ago he began to enjoy playing.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Stars in Their Courses by Shelby Foote.

Great detailed look at Gettysburg, even if it has a bit of a southern slant.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewallychamp
anyone have a copy of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian?
I can't find it on paperbackswap
confused.gif

I do. Going to be out of town through next weekend, but I'd be happy to loan you my copy if you can't scrounge one up before I get back.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I read the book in the same time frame as you, same days. Weird! Anyway, that was my first exposure to the author and ran out to grab Blood Meridian off the shelf.

Sorry for the multi-posts, that tends to happen when I'm reading while multi-tasking.

BM and The Road are very different reading experiences (at least they were for me). Would be interested to hear what you think after finishing. As I think I've posted here before, I'm a fan of The Road and sevearl other McCarthy books, but not so much of BM.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Finally finished The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, quite a good ending and sadly all that's forthcoming in that series. Devoting myself to wrapping up the Gucci book and setting Midnight's Children aside for now. Will likely pick up either TR's The Strenuous Life, or one of his bios.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I read the book in the same time frame as you, same days. Weird! Anyway, that was my first exposure to the author and ran out to grab Blood Meridian off the shelf.

I think I will get BM too. I would like a bit more of a taste of Mcarthy's writing.

Lachy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac

This is waiting on my table, next in line to be read.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just started two new ones:

Open by Agassi
Money by Amis

thewallychamp

Reaction score
hst_gonzo.jpg

as you should well know,

we were somewhere around barstow when the drugs began to take hold

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Sorry for the multi-posts, that tends to happen when I'm reading while multi-tasking.

BM and The Road are very different reading experiences (at least they were for me). Would be interested to hear what you think after finishing. As I think I've posted here before, I'm a fan of The Road and sevearl other McCarthy books, but not so much of BM.

How come you didn't like Blood Meridian? I'm a western junky so I feel I'm destined to like the book.

I did enjoy The Road although I may actually reread it soon as it's been a while and I would like to see the movie.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the thin red line
under the banner of heaven: a story of violent faith
the naked and the dead
bonfire of the vanities
barbarians at the gate

blood meridian is a pretty relentlessly grim book...

milosh

Reaction score
I've just finished Cat's Cradle and started Slapstick, both by Kurt Vonnegut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads