1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah I should have probably laid that out a little more logically. My point was that if I'm a whisky drinker and understand/appreciate everything from the higher proofs, to the nuanced flavors, regional differences, etc.... and I like some red wines and like port more, if I don't really care for white wine, would I like Cognac/Armagnac? (I used the term Brandy in case there are other good white wine based distillates not just from those two areas)

So I don't like white wine really, so in the same way as port/sherry is like concentrated red wine, am I going to dislike Cognac/Armagnac even more or are they closer to being more like a whisky type of experience so I would like them a lot more than regular white wine?

So far I've heard Pio's point that if I like Port more than red wine, it might be because of the extra sugar, which.... presumably Cognac/Armagnac would have more of compared to the original white wine?

2. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Cognac and Armagnac are much more like whiskey, especially single malts. Think of Speyside type whiskies that have no peat/smoke. Fruity. When you start to get into grappas, that is where the comparison might lean to white wine. But even grappa can be smokey. I think that you would love Cognac but even more so Armagnac. I say Armagnac because in my experience, there is more out there to explore in Armagnac and it is a little more off the beaten path.

If it helps I too rather dislike white wine. Just not really my thing. But I like just about anything else spirit wise.

1 person likes this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Master-Classter

You still working in the CBD? Check out the Oak Barrel 152 Elizabeth st. Great independent bottle shop, excellent range and knowledgeable staff.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Ah, ok so that sounds like I might quite like some of those then. I'll start doing some reading to get a better sense of who's who. I'm in Auz so not sure what the selection and pricing will be like. As much as I'd hate to call myself a scotch drinker while sipping walker red label, I'm thinking that some sort of equivalent (as in fairly generic simple entry point to the category) might be what I need to get started with Cognac/Armagnac and I can branch out from there.

I'm in the area more or less. Just read some reviews and it sounds great, so thanks. I've added it my google map list of places to check out.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

As you're in GTA, go to the LCBO and buy a good Vidal ice wine. You might like that as it's loaded with sugar but the Vidal has a nice acid and honey/honeysuckle/citrus component to balance it.

"White wine" is rather a broad category to either dismiss or endorse.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I don't think brandies have any significant residual sugar, since they're distilled.

The distillation process makes any spirit much more similar to other spirits than to the original grain/fruit or fermented products thereof. Whisk(e)y, brandy, and even rum are much more similar to each other than they are to the variations of beers and wines. It's not even obvious what kind of grapes brandy is derived from, unless you knew coming in.

7. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

"Nice. Love that dude." Kwilkinson

2 people like this.
  8. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

IMG_1490.JPG Never heard of this before but it's great--Amaro Soldatini.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 12:29 AM
    b1os likes this.