1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Oy, the martinis were pretty good but made getting started the workout this morning a little rough. Amazing how much better you can feel after powering through though.

2. ThriftDave

ThriftDave Member

I keep forgetting whether I'm an alcoholic or a Mormon, so I'm drinking a case of 3.5% near beer.

3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

Kolsh.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Just getting into mixed drinks. Have been pretty much a straight beer drinker for last 3 years.

Corpse reviver #2

1 oz Brooklyn gin
    1 oz Contreau
    1 oz Lillet Blanc
    1 oz bottled lemon juice
    splash of Mata Hari Bohemian Absinthe

shaken with lots of ice and strained into martini glass. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

Bass beer and bassketball!

6. jcmeyer

Turkish raki. Was introduced to it on a trip to Istanbul in 2010 and hadn't had it since but it immediately brought me back - smells and tastes are great for that.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Drinking Milk & Honey London's remarkable cocktail, "London Calling." Here, Pippa Middleton will show you how to make it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journali...ree-cocktail-recipes-from-Milk-and-Honey.html
    Quote:It's very good but it's basically impossible to live up to the hype. I think a lot of people end up paying a thousand dollar or whatever and wondering what the big deal was, when in reality it was a great buy at $55/bottle ten years ago and has been living in fantasy world since then.

As for how to secure one, get real friendly with some liquor store owners or be prepared to drop a ton of money on the grey market.

I mean, there really is not a lot of point to it anymore. I have a bottle of PVW 20 I am working through. My favorite thing to do with it is to have people over, watch them go gaga over it, then offer them a blind tasting of the PVW against four other whiskies, including Hirsch 16. Neither the 20 nor the Hirsch has ever once won. The thing that pisses me off, is that the whisky that usually wins those tastings can't be bought anymore either, because of the gloss of the Pappy. And it was my favorite. And it is all because people with money want to shortcut learning about spirits by immediately wanting to buy the 'best', when they couldn;t discriminate a 23 from Elijah Craig. ~ Huntsman

3 people like this.
  8. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

Thanks for the perpective. Big believer in blind testings. Would love to ask about the winner, but that is as subjective as anything else. I've been enjoying my cheap Ardbeg 10 a lot. Have a few other Islays to follow up with. Bourbons are under-represented for now, but I have time.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

^^ sometimes Elijah Craig hits the spot. Also, I bet if you threw (the now ubiquitous) Templeton in your tasting mix, it'd garner some serious votes too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. Piobaire

Okay, my e-bros, thinking of getting a 5L mini-kegerator. Not one that will just take the pre-pressurized Heineken but will also use a CO2 cartridge and pressurize a growler. Any recommendations or experience?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Get wine on tap instead of beer./non helpful SF asshole answer.

Gotham project is a big producer. Not sure about retail purchase of the kegs. Maybe, make nice nice with one of your buyers.

I don't have any experience with home kegerators. I would imagine durability shouldn't be an issue with you. You're not gonna have some ape throwing kegs in and out all day long.

Why do you want a 5L and not "normal" mini fridge sized one? You can fit 2-3 5G logs into a mini fridge. At 5L I just don't see that juice being worth the squeeze. 5 Gallons is a lot of brew for one man to drink in a decent amount of time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. Piobaire

I'm not a big beer drinker but have a couple of friends that prefer a decent beer over wine. I thought it would be nice to have a bartop draught spout for them. After some searching looks like Edgestar has this model:

[​IMG]

That can tap the Heineken/New Castle style or you can pressurize a keg. You can buy 5L kegs from places like Midwest Brewing or Amazon. Take them to a local place that fills growlers and get your pick. Tap with the Edgestar pressure adapter and you have an ever changing tap of craft beer.

1 person likes this.
  13. BenjaminZeev

BenjaminZeev Well-Known Member

middletown dair ghaelach
    irish single pot with irish oak
    really sweet and spicy, a little cream
    really nice overall
    but limit one oz per guest at my bar

14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. BenjaminZeev

I don't understand the meaning of fake mustaches. Should I?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I think the idea is you drink your allotment, put on your disguise, drink the next as a new guest. Repeat. Profit.

2 people like this.
  17. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

what is this? a bar for ants?

1 person likes this.
  18. BenjaminZeev

Nah, it a par for humans. I have no idea why this whisky has the 1 oz limit, nothing else at the bar is limited except for by stock. Also it is the only whisky which comes in a 1 oz portion. I'll ask the bar manager next time I see him why this is.

19. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Couple of the last few posts had me chuckling out loud.

Started the evening by tweaking a Final Ward. 1 Oz bourbon, 3/4 Oz chartreuse, 1/2 Oz Meyer lemon, 1/4 Oz maraschino. Meyer lemon was nice.

Then a dram of Balvenie Caribbean Cask (which I'm not a huge fan of but have a bottle and will drink it anyway) and a glass of cheap and good rioja.

20. jcmeyer

Interesting to use those proportions for the final word; typically I thought all those variations were one part everything, though I typically go a bit lighter on the chartreuse and maraschino. Did you use yellow chartreuse? I like it in the bourbon/lemon variation.