• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you like the Botanist? I sell it but haven't gotten to taste it.

Like it, makes a very nice martini. Smooth, good mouthfeel, plays well with vermouth. No one note stands out to me, got a lot going on.

I have a hard time ranking gin. I stuck with Hendricks for a long time, then Plymouth really jumped out at me (obviously a different style). Most of the others have been "good" but I can't really distinguish beyond that. Some of them work better in certain cocktails than others, and I'm trying to nail that down. I feel like Botanist is very balanced and wouldn't not work in most things, but might not shine especially. Makes a better martini than the Bluecoat, but the Bluecoat was better in a Negroni.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always meant to try some of that Bluecoat stuff since it's ubiquitous in Philly. Any good? Is it one of those weak gins aimed at vodka drinkers?

It's a good, serious gin. Made in Philly IIRC, which might be why it's so ubiquitous there.

I have a hard time ranking gin. I stuck with Hendricks for a long time, then Plymouth really jumped out at me (obviously a different style). Most of the others have been "good" but I can't really distinguish beyond that. Some of them work better in certain cocktails than others, and I'm trying to nail that down. I feel like Botanist is very balanced and wouldn't not work in most things, but might not shine especially. Makes a better martini than the Bluecoat, but the Bluecoat was better in a Negroni.

Gin isn't really, IMO, something that can really be ranked. Once you meet a certain threshold in quality, it's just about the different taste profiles. Where something like whiskey generally gets better with more aging and skilled blending, gin is pretty cheap and easy to make with no aging required, and adhering to the recipe keeps the flavor consistent. So you can have a $20 spirit like Beefeater or Brokers that stands up perfectly ably against spirits twice the price, and stuff like Gordons that's simultaneously a bottom shelf option and something that somebody serious about spirits wouldn't mind drinking. It's wonderfully democratic.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

El Dorado is nice but pricey compared to its (better peers). For 15 I prefer Barboncourt and when you get into 18-21 year range, I prefer Don Abuelo and Zafra. Zafra 21 is my favorite rum right now.

Interesting. Do you not like the sweeter rums? All three of those are definitely lower on the sweetometer.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gibonius, have you had Citadelle Résérve?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

They have a reserve? I've been a big proponent of Citadelle since I tried it last year.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, IIRC it's aged for six months. The regular is about € 22 while the Réserve is € 35, which is one of the reasons why I haven't tried it yet.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gin isn't really, IMO, something that can really be ranked. Once you meet a certain threshold in quality, it's just about the different taste profiles. Where something like whiskey generally gets better with more aging and skilled blending, gin is pretty cheap and easy to make with no aging required, and adhering to the recipe keeps the flavor consistent. So you can have a $20 spirit like Beefeater or Brokers that stands up perfectly ably against spirits twice the price, and stuff like Gordons that's simultaneously a bottom shelf option and something that somebody serious about spirits wouldn't mind drinking. It's wonderfully democratic.

Well put. The flavor profiles are especially important for cocktails, which is the primary usage of gin. Some gins just don't work in certain cocktails, while working wonderfully in others. I had been trying to get into Negronis and just couldn't stand them, turned out it was just because the Hendricks didn't work right (for me anyway). Throw in a different gin and they're great.

That's one strike against The Botanist. I got it on sale for $31, which is fine. It usually runs $40, and I can't see much reason to pay that. Plymouth I don't mind the mid-$30s for, just because it's unique. I think I'm going to try some cheaper options for awhile, whole bunch I've never tried. I've done Bombay and Tanqueray, but never really tried Beefeater, Brokers, even Seagrams. Not a big fan of Gordons, but that may just be from not knowing how to make proper drinks in college.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not available around here, so I haven't gone out of my way to get any.

My biggest complaint about Citadelle was that the bottle was too damn tall. Would only fit on the top shelf of my liquor cabinet. :happy:

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I'm going to try some cheaper options for awhile, whole bunch I've never tried. I've done Bombay and Tanqueray, but never really tried Beefeater, Brokers, even Seagrams. Not a big fan of Gordons, but that may just be from not knowing how to make proper drinks in college.

Gib, I was devastated when Plymouth went up to $45, as it was my go to at $27. Since then I have been trying different cheaper options to find a replacement. These have included Broker's, Citadelle, and Greenall's recently. I have settled on Broker's for now but am always willing to try something new if it becomes available.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've been buying handles of Citadelle for $40. :)

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My biggest complaint about Citadelle was that the bottle was too damn tall. Would only fit on the top shelf of my liquor cabinet. :happy:

Luxardo is the worst.

Re: Gin, I've also settled on Broker's. Best QPR I've encontered so far. Beefeater's is € 19 per litre, which is great, but Broker's is just € 2 more (both 94 proof), and well worth the small markup imo.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I buy handles of beefeaters to use as well.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Luxardo is the worst.

Eagle Rare is pretty bad too. I also liked a recent bottle that was about 1/16th of an inch too tall for my shelf. I mean, really?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads