1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

2. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your recommendations. It looks like I have a few new ones to try. Rittenhouse seems to be much cheaper near me than the rest too. Handy is over $100 here. I'll pick up a few different bottles and report back!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

It would clearly only be used in producing essential oils.

:D

4. saint

saint Well-Known Member

I prefer Rye to Bourbon, usually mix with High West Double or one of the Dad's Hat PA special bottlings, if I'm dubious about the recipe I'll try it first with Old Overcoat (Wacky Packages!). I've got some unopened better bottles around like Handy, Whistle Pig and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7.

5. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

Much appreciated! I've only ever had Hendrick's, so i will give the Botanist a go.

6. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

high west double is good, I had it in NYC last week. I've heard Whistle Pig is just rebooted Alberta Premium and a $40 markup. Anyone know any truth to it?

Also, I haven't really mixed rye other than manhattans or an old fashioned. I'll have to try more

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Might I suggest Citadelle gin before The Botanist? First, it's much less expensive (I can buy a handle for the same price as a 750ml of The Botanist), and second, it's a really good gin. Then get a bottle of The Botanist and decide whether you think over double the price is worth it.

1 person likes this.
  8. saint

saint Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A little digestif.

1 person likes this.
  9. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Well-Known Member

Everything @Huntsman said.
    I'd also add that--especially for mixing purposes-- high-rye mashbill bourbon is a worthy alternative (and honestly these days, without the historical regional distinctions, it's hard to really draw a line between the two.)

With the price hike for regular Rittenhouse, I've switched to bonded Old Grandad as my go-to mixer; the change has been seamless. 114 is even better. For sipping, I've liked all of the high-rye single-barrel Four Roses expressions I've tried.

As far as rye labeled as such, Huntsman gives good recommendations. Handy is a particular favorite of mine.

10. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Well-Known Member

Interesting, last time I had Dad's Hat it was really lousy and underaged (I wound up using it for cooking) which was sad as I really wanted to like it and loved the idea of reviving Monongahela Rye. It was brand new at the time so maybe it's better now that it's had a few more years to get to a respectable age.

Historical regional rye production is fascinating to me; the great old rye industries of Western PA and Maryland now live on only in the names of products from Kentucky. I'd love to see someone reopen the original Old Overholt distillery (though I'd settle for the current Kentucky incarnation at the original proof), or to start making Pikesville Rye (or historically accurate Maryland rye) in Maryland again.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Relatively pedestrian (Bacardi) mojito. But I grabbed the rum at the grocery for $6 per 750ml so wtf. :satisfied:

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

damn, idabe drunk allthetime!

(not just most of the time like normal)

13. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip- I'll take you up on it.
    Citadelle is $35 here vs Botanist is $50.

Recently went out for dinner and asked for a Hendrick's martini with a touch of Lillet Blanc. One of the best martinis I've had. It was so smooth and delicious.

1 person likes this.
  14. saint

saint Well-Known Member

That's what I like about the special bottlings of Dad's Hat, they are made Farm to Bottle in PA:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Bourbon that got me interested in the old whiskey industry on the East Coast:

[​IMG]

Sadly its my last bottle, so I'm saving it for a special occasion.

15. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Fatty. You're going to get cancer. You should offload some of the bottles on me

1 person likes this.
  16. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

The Botanist and tonic, lemon, lime or cucumber?

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

I've taken to throwing one of those coiled-wire balls people use for workout shakes in my tin when making egg white cocktails. Still shake for the same amount of time with great froth.

Shave talk: I really like Fortaleza it tastesoke a strawberry plucked form the ground that is still earthy. Herradura is a really nicely prices tequila as well.

Fidencio is a superb mescal that isn't outrageously expensive.

I tasted the bottle pictured below and loved it. It's expensive, but one of the best I've ever tasted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. bmac11c

bmac11c Well-Known Member

Old Overholt is a great cheap RYE for mixing drinks; under $20. Rittenhouse is bonded so it's at least 100 proof. I love Rittenhouse, but I find most people whom I make cocktails for, find it too strong for their liking.

19. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Almost ordered a bottle of it earlier today (36 €). Sold out now. :( [Edit: never mind, it was the Marca Negra. Edit 2: Never mind, it's the same stuff.] Picked up some San Cosme Mezcal Blanco, Plantation Barbados XO, Michter's Rye, Grand Marnier and Amaro Montenegro instead.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. bmac11c

bmac11c Well-Known Member

Interesting! I think I will try a "Hendricks-Blanc" Martini tonight!