1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

I think they no longer stock Strega. That bar is weird about ingredients sometimes, but they do some cool things that keep me going back. I really like their idea of doing a break even bottle. It gives me a chance to try crazy things I would never have the chance to try at their cost.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Pre dinner drinks watching the sun set Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin and Fever Tree Tonic with a slice of Orange, plenty of ice in a long glass.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Mexican Coke Cuba Libre to cap a long, hot day...
    [​IMG]

4. bradp

bradp Well-Known Member

Been drinking Amaro Montenegro on the rocks after dinner

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Picked up Amaro Lucano on Friday. It's pleasantly mellow for an amaro. The big cola notes are distinct from the amaros I've tried. It's a little sweet for my taste, gotta use a dry vermouth if you're doing cocktails.

Also got a bottle of Old Pulteney 12. Definitely entering the daily drinker rotation. Shades of Oban 14 but more interesting than I remember the Oban being (haven't done a side by side). Now I want to try the older expressions.

My wife wanted me to pick up some Kahlua and I have to admit that it's shamefully enjoyable. :embar: It's all corn syrup and dye, but it hits the spot after dinner. Not everything has to be sophisticated, I suppose.

6. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Little departure from the cocktails and liquor, but enjoyed a bottle of duchesse de bourgogne ale. Been liking the Flanders red/brown ales lately and bought some Rodenbach Grand Cru as well

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Tonight, an Improved Whiskey Cocktail.

2 oz bourbon (used Michter's sour mash)
    1/2 oz lemon
    1/4 oz maraschino
    1/4 oz mezcal
    2 dash orange bitters
    1 dash Angostura
    honey syrup to taste (did 1/2 oz of 1:1)

It's nice. Bourbon and lemon on the front, smoke comes through, then honey on the finish. The bitters are a must, was totally flat without them.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Frosty, delicious pina coladas… I'm a sucker for alcohol soaked coconut.

9. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Houston is ridiculous. Those prices...

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Martini. 5 parts gin (The Botanist), 1 part vermouth (Noilly Prat), 3 drops orange angostura bitters, stirred, lemon twist.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Yay to that! I do a lot of Corpse Reviver #2s when we are in not-too-boozy moods. That or amaro and vermouth heavy stirred drinks.

1 person likes this.
  12. Aerostat

Aerostat Well-Known Member

So we started drinking it last week and it turned out nice, no complaints really. I found it best to just add a dash of bitters, shake it over some ice and have it straight up. If you mix it with club soda it dilutes it too much.

We also went back and made another batch but this time we used peaches, vanilla beans, brown sugar, and Dark grade B maple syrup. It turned out nice as well and I think I like it a little more than the apple version.

13. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Kid...,

Pina Colada recipe and directions please. My GF loves them, but I have had no luck mixing...

Thanks,

14. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Margaritas last night: 1.5/1/1 with Siembra Azul/Brizard Curacao/lime juice.

Hemingway Daiquiris tonight, probably followed by Firestone Pale 31 with grilled burgers.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

What do you think of The Botanist?

Just bought a bottle of Tanqueray 10 long glass plenty of ice, muddled lime and Fever Tree tonic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

It's pretty good. Clean but also herbaceous - like a cross between Hendricks and Monkey 47 I guess. I quite like herbaceous gins. Prefer Tanqueray Ten to Hendricks to be honest.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Tanqueray does indeed have a very crisp clean taste, he says after realising the dent he and Mrs GF put in the bottle last night.

Currently have Hendricks, Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin as well in the freezer. The Monkey 47 looks interesting. Will add a bottle of Martin Miller, did you get the Monkey 47 in Sydney? If so where?

18. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Rye Witch earlier, very nice. Trying out Monkey Shoulder blended malt right now, it's ok for the price, might try mixing with it.

19. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Made 4 or 5 White Ruskies with one of my roommates. Used 2% milk in lieu of 1/2 & 1/2 or cream or whatever, as well as Sabroso coffee liquer and Pinnacle vodka. Meh. Kind of gross to drink more than one.

20. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Well-Known Member

The number of times I've seriously considered a bottle of Pegau and then thought better of it...

I may have to finally bite the bullet.