1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Quick Improv:

2 1/4 oz Irish Whiskey
    1 oz Benedictine
    .5 oz dry vermouth
    .5 oz lemon juice.

Pretty tasty. Light and crisp in a way most whiskey cocktails aren't, and herbal goodness. I'm quite happy with this one.

2. Robhiggy

Robhiggy Member

Got home last night and made a Zucca and tonic (used Fevertree). If you can find Zucca in your home town I HIGHLY recommend it. Complex and slightly bitter but truly a wonderful refreshing drink paired with tonic. I first saw the pairing in Milan.

3. denning

denning Well-Known Member

Drink of the Donaji

[​IMG]

1.75 Del Maguey Vida mezcal
    0.75 yellow Chartreuse
    0.5 lemon juice
    Dash of Vieux Pointarlier absinthe

I expected to not enjoy this. I was wrong. It's delicious. As per usual with mezcal it takes me a moment to warm up to it, but it is complex yet balanced

1 person likes this.
  4. sftiger

sftiger Well-Known Member

Huntsman and denning - where do you guys get those cocktail glasses? They look great.

5. denning

I have gotten mine all over the place. I keep an eye out at thrift and second hand stores, but have purchased from generic home stores, to Williams Sonoma, to a small antiques store, to BYOB in Toronto which always has a great selection.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'm so glad we finally have a store like that here. I've walked in at least a few times while just in the area and walked out with a bag of stuff ha!

1 person likes this.
  7. denning

I always spend a little too long just browsing at BYOB. So much to lust after. I love their japanese cocktail implements. The Japanese cocktail spoon I got from them is such a delight to use.

Corpse Reviver No. 2s
    [​IMG]

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Just created a cocktail and I'm posting it for three reasons. Need help naming, want opinions, and lastly tell me if I've just come up with something already in play.

1.5 oz Balvenie Double Wood
    .5 oz St. Germaine Elderflower liqueur
    .5 oz Lillet Blanc
    healthy dash of Peychaud's

Stir well in mixing glass, strain and pour. Garnish with orange rind after expressing oils in glass.

Portions still in play but this is very good.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  9. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Havana 7. I'm going to miss this in America.

10. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Isn't the embargo lifted

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I laid down a cask of Trident (with a little grapefruit bitters along with the peach) back in January. Took a couple pulls over the last few months, but basically forgot about it until today. It's great now, after five months. Huge and deep and sweet. The whole profile changed, pretty amazing.

I think the biggest thing is that the artificial notes of the Fee Brother peach bitters seem to have worn off (or gotten lost under the other notes). I love the addition of the grapefruit bitters, actually like it better with just grapefruit than peach but the combination is good too.

2 people like this.
  12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Two leisurely pints of White Rabbit Dark Ale, then I have to cook dinner. Merde!

13. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

I believe only when imported directly from Cuba, and probably only for personal use.

14. Piobaire

Just named it: By Land, By Sea.

1 person likes this.
  15. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Drunken Dodo from D&Co, didn't have Scarlet Ibis so used Zaya; its way too sweet and smooth for this drink. Wasn't that impressed, but if I try it again I'll use a more assertive rum. A nice Lirac with dinner should erase the disappointment.

16. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

I've yet to walk in here and I always mean to.
    Glad it comes highly recommended!

17. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting. I would never have thought to pair Lillet Blanc with Balvenie.

18. Piobaire

Don't make unless you have the Peychaud's. A completely different drink with and without.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Hm. Does sound good, and the closest thing I can think of is the Weeski, which lacks the St. Germain and the Peychaud's.

20. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like a variation on a Sunflower (a riff on the Corpse Reviver #2) with different proportions and the Balvenie subbing for the gin. Even the Peychaud echoes the absinthe in the Sunflower with its anise notes. Probably pretty tasty, but seems more of a cold weather cocktail to me with the high proportion of single malt.