1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I'm not talking huge chunks of ice. I mean like little grains of ice that float on top that ruin the view. It's a minor nitpick but I think enough to double strain. people don't want their gin bruised but want their drinks clear right?

You really don't think ice crystals can add a nice texture to drinks? You don't agree with the hard shake philosophy?

I don't understand how stirred drinks are more about texture than shaken drinks. Shaken drinks have microfoam from the juice and grains of ice in addition to the viscosity and mouthfeel of the ingredients. Stirred drinks have only the viscosity.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Ice crystals are an abomination. Why would I want globes of flavorless water in my drink?

Again, I ask WTF are you doing when you stir a cocktail to get ice crystals?

The hard shake is all BS.

3. indesertum

Even if you stir very carefully you'll get tiny little grains of ice in your drink. True of all the stirred drinks I've had at all the top bars because they all single strain stirred drinks with a julep strainer. Maybe, you know, look at the drink next time you stir one? Really not hard to get grains of ice.

You realize liquor is generally mostly water and you need water to open up flavor?

I think the hard shake motion is BS as well but the idea that you should shake to add ice crystals for extra texture is IMO spot on

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

I have never seen this ever. I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Seriously, dude? You are smarter than this. A certain degree of added water is good for this. Changing the ratio changes the taste.

If it is BS why would you bring it up? Ice crystals are not a desirable texture in a drink.

I'm really surprised you think any of these things. Maybe what you call ice crystals are something else.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Just going to say I've never seen ice chips in a stirred drink.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

7. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Paloma with 2/3 grapefruit and 1/3 orange, and a Patron Reposado floater. Patron not my fave, but gifted and does the trick.
    [​IMG]

8. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Well-Known Member

Agreed, booziness is the spirit of the drink. I only really enjoy them with a nice high-proof whiskey. I wish cask proof brandy was still readily available (and not ruinously expensive), to try the original recipe in its full glory. Half bonded Laird's is an interesting variant in the same spirit, but it's really its own thing because of the apple flavor.

Lemon peel blows orange peel out of the water (unless it's a Seville orange peel.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  9. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

What's half bonded lairds?

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Presumably, half portions of both bonded Lairds and high proof whiskey.

In case you're not familiar with Lairds, it's applejack. A spirit made from apples, produced similarly to whiskey. Bonded means it means the old bottled in bond requirements- 100 proof, aged for at least 4 years, ect. Laird's bonded applejack is 100% apple- the 80 proof is a blend, 65% neutral spirits. Skip that junk and go straight to the bonded.

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

lol

1 person likes this.
  12. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Been drinking a lot of Rusty Nails recently, along with tapping my Negroni and Vieux Carre casks (coming along nicely, after two months). Vieux Carre had gone a bit flat and I had to dose it with some more bitters, especially the Peychauds. Nice and rich now.

Went through a bottle of Dewers 12 (which is not bad). Does anyone have a favorite scotch to go with Drambuie? Thinking about going with a Johnny Walker Black (or Double Black?) for the next go around.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Cuba Libres tonight, of course.

15. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

So what kind of Cuban rum do I want to take back to the US with me? Havana Club seems too easy.

1 person likes this.
  16. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

yeah actually I was going to say, the olde HC's are pretty good. I think I've got a bottle of 7 anejos and it was like $15-20 or something a few years ago.

18. indesertum

really? not even small ice grains?

im not talking about chunks of ice. like little slivers or small grains. it happens as bits of ice break off as you stir, which happens even if your stirring is so good it makes no sound. i dont like the way it looks. kinda surprised at the pushback

19. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

So I'm at the Savoy in London. There are ice pieces in my shaken drink. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this.

20. saint

saint Well-Known Member

'85 Gould Campbell Port

1 person likes this.