1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  2. JjasonL

JjasonL Well-Known Member

dalmore 15.. craving a cigar now..[​IMG]

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Not that I've paid for lines, that would be illegal, $500 per line per year is the standard. Everything is for sale. Wine lists and cocktail lists included. Distributors also throw down cash too.

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

The guy from pretty things strikes me as a bitch. Whining about accounts and suppliers have been doing this for decades. You know the unwritten rules for the game. If you don't like them don't get in the fucking game. If an account wants to be beholdent to 3rd parties that's there perogitave to do so. I wouldn't want my lines bought off. The brands that have the cash are also the brands that sell a TON of beer. The dude is just mad that his sales force sucks.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

People have also been known to do product drops. It's pretty customary for a new line to have a BOGO attached on the first keg plus x number of kegs free after you buy y amount. A 1 on 5 deal seems to be standard. If someone is giving a 1 on 3 out I know someone has their nuts in a vice.

***ive never done any of these things****

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. Piobaire

Wow, that's pretty cheap when you consider the revenue a line could not make due to a shitty choice.

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Cheap for the distributor but $500 sounds like a terrible deal to put an average to shitty beer on a line for the whole year. I wouldn't even consider it even if I had a 100 taps

Wait so these are brands like bud light and leinenkugel right? It seems like people in the thread are pointing fingers at jacks abby tho based on nothing

He might be a whiny bitch but he's been doing this since 1995 and he's said it's always been the case so it's not like he didn't know about it

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  8. Piobaire

Agreed. As I said that's a that's a lot of possible foregone revenue for $500.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

As H.L. Mencken said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." I doubt there is a bar in the country where Delirium Tremens would outsell Yuengling (just to pick an "excellent" and "average" beer at random).

4 people like this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Ah I misread your post

11. joelscott7

joelscott7 Well-Known Member

12. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Actually, Bodega in Columbus, Ohio sells more Delirium Tremens than Yuengling. :slayer:

13. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Nothing right now... Dr L Riesling 2013 a little later...

Cheers and Happy Friday,

14. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Cynartown from the D&C book, mostly because I didn't have to go digging around for anything to make it, and it looked good. Kind of a riff on a Negroni.

15. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

A 50/50 wine cooler made from a carbonated Italian lemonade and a cheap boxed Pinot Grigio I won at a party. I do not like Pinot Grigio, so i kill the taste with the lemonade. It's better than pouring it down the drain, I guess.

Cheers,

16. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Just got the Death book. Starting at the beginning and drinking Oaxaca Old Fashioneds tonight.

1 person likes this.
  17. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

Started the evening with a whisky sour:
    2.5 oz Bulleit
    1 oz fresh lemon juice
    .75 oz simple syrup (1:1)
    2 rosemary sprigs
    Shaken

2005 Bollig-Lehnert Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Spatlese, served with a soft French cheese and gamay red wine jelly

2013 Michel Gassier Les Piliers Viognier, served with roast chicken, roast potatoes and sautéed French string beans

2009 Malivoire Riesling Icewine, served with homemade Creme Brulee

After:
    Laga 16
    Ardbeg Oogie

1 person likes this.
  18. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Sangria is another idea. The proper Spanish recipe: Bottle of wine (whatever's old from the back of the fridge is fine), pour in some brandy, dump in a bunch of fruit juice.

Having a Hemingway Daiquiri at the moment. Needed something refreshing after getting back from playing hockey.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

As much as I have been enjoying the Death book, I am starting to think it is a little too fussy, with all of its focus on infusions and tinctures and such. Also, while I think the drinks I've made from the book are better than, say, from the PDT book, I also think that they aren't that good. Or maybe I have picked them wrong. Anyway, I totally riffed off of the Coffee and Cigarettes (which is good) with this, which I think is better.

A Cigarette After Dark

2 oz smoky scotch (I used a blend of stuff, but JW Black would be fine)
    1 oz Bonal Gentiane-Quina (I bet Cocchi Vermouth di Torino would work, or, better still, 50/50 Torino to Amaro Nonino, if you have that at hand)
    3/8 oz Kahlua
    1/4 oz Amaro Lucano (maybe 1 tsp Fernet?)
    Orange bitters
    Orange twist.

It's pretty fabulous. Scotch and coffee go very well together, and the Bonal is much like an earthy vermouth without a great deal of brightness, and then the Lucano comes in with a little lift of menthol to bring it all together.

~ H