1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Dr L Riesling 2012

This is my second bottle. I liked the first, so..........

Happy Friday, Y'all

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Stop

1 person likes this.
  3. Powertrip

Powertrip Well-Known Member

Stop what exactly? Sharing my experiences from when I was completely ignorant versus now where I'm only mostly ignorant?

I was so excited about participating in this thread finally instead of just lurking... Now it's to the point where I wish I hadn't bothered. It had always seemed like a great place for the uneducated to get guidance, advice and suggestions but that has been far from my experience.

Take care and enjoy your beverages.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Devkit (A1723)

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Bundaberg Rum & Black Death might have a few tonight, good for keeping the winter chill out.

5. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Mojito w/ agave nectar instead of sugar.
    [​IMG]

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Unnamed Tiki Cocktail #7

Rittenhouse Rye
    Ron Brugal Extra Old
    Ginger syrup
    Lime juice
    Falernum bitters

mint garnish

No measuring for me, just eyeballed it. Heavier on the rye than the rum. Pretty good actually.

7. saint

saint Well-Known Member

^^^^speaking of Tiki cocktails, made Mai Tais tonight from the original Trader Joe's recipe, used a mix of Zaya and Hallmark 25 yr old Demarara rums, Small Hands orgeat and Marie Brizard Curaçao.

1 person likes this.
  8. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Dark n Stormy with Naturfrisk Ginger Beer.

9. joelscott7

joelscott7 Well-Known Member

Do you make your own ginger syrup?

10. Gibonius

I do. I don't have a juicer, so the only hard part is getting the juice out of the ginger root. Gotta puree it and then squeeze the pulp through a strainer. Works fine, just some work.

2 people like this.
  11. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

A dark and stormy really should be made with fermented alcoholic ginger beer not just ginger syrup and carbonated water

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

13. Gibonius

I don't know about the alcoholic bit, but I do strongly prefer a fermented ginger beer for Dark n Stormies. Not enough depth from just the ginger syrup. It's still great for Tiki drinks though.

I like Reed's Extra Ginger a lot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I don't like it with fermented alcoholic ginger beer like Fentiman's or Stone's Ginger Joe all that much. I prefer it with ginger beer like Fever-Tree's.

15. indesertum

Fever tree is good. Is actually a bit spicy but I like the actual ginger beer version more. Has this nice roundness to it

16. Gibonius

I was totally underwhelmed by Fever Tree. I like their tonic well enough, but the ginger beer just seemed one note. Maybe the ginger ale is better.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

So new method for martinis. Been hanging at a place I had tried several times about five years ago, but then for various reasons, did not frequent. Well, we're back in the saddle there in the last few months and plan to hang more over the winter. So to the point, the bartender there is very good. He makes a great martini and he swears his secret is in the wait. He uses a mixing glass, gives in a 15 or so seconds stir, let's sit for a couple of minutes, then another brief stir, strain and pour. A very non-agitated, crystal clear martini is the result and I swear the texture is far, far superior to those martinis you get with ice chips floating in them from vigorously shaken ones.

18. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Who shakes Martinis? That method mostly dilutes the martini quite a bit. Try adding a dash of water to a "regularly" stirred Martini--the texture should be similar, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  19. indesertum

Actually martinis have a long history of being shaken. Ice also stops diluting once the liquid reaches 0 degrees. There however is constant input of energy from the environment so while in the short term the ice stops diluting in the long term ice will melt more so if anything stirring it dilutes more. The con side to shaking is there are little bits of ice than will melt more quickly but that's easily solved by double straining.

I take that back. The manhattan has a long history of being shaken but not sure about martini. I think it's still a legitimate way and kinda fun to experiment. I don't believe in a hard and fast rule. Shaking vs stirring just creates different textures and it's really your preference as to which you like

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, James Bond also liked his "Martini" shaken. Nonetheless, the standard way nowadays is stirring it, don't you think?

If you let a drink sit for a few minutes, with ice in it, at room temperature, it will dilute.