• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

xpress

Reaction score
Had a drink of Jameson last night.

Love that whiskey!

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corpse Reviver #2.

I am currently without absinthe for the rinse, so last time I used VEP chartreuse and this time I added a small dash of Pechaud's bitters for the anise flavour. Wasn't bad, but not as good as the real thing.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the big three would probably be Dolin, Vya and Carpano Antica.

Ya. My bottle of Noilly Prat rouge is nearly empty now. I don't think I'll be able to find Vya here. Dolin 0.75 is ~7€. Carpano Antica ~20-25€... I want to try true Italian vermouth though, so I'll go with the Carpano.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I only recently got this bottle of Angostura and am excited to try it -- I couldn't bring myself to pay the $20 or whatever Amazon wants (plus shipping). The aroma and taste straight out of the bottle seem to blow my Regan's away, but the proof, of course, is in the cocktail.

I do like MM very much, and use it as my 'step up' from my well when I want a straight-ahead London Dry. If I had one all-arounder at that pricepoint, it would be either MM or Plymouth -- as it is I use Beefeater's in that position, which it suits admirably, as I find that with gin particularly, I do like to have a wider variety of gins due to the wide range of gin cocktails. Were I to have two gins, it would be Beefeater's and Hendrick's, though I would miss my G&T gin, which is Sapphire. I like Sapphire so much in my G&T that I am just done trying other gins.

straight up regular Negroni with Plymouth Gin, Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth and Campari. It's the first time I made one so from recipes I found I just went 1:1:1 proportions. Any suggestions for improvement?

The Negroni is a favorite of mine, and equal proportions is classic. Your ingredient choice is fine. As to the vermouth, see below.

I think the big three would probably be Dolin, Vya and Carpano Antica.

Indeed. I do find M&R to be really very decent in Negronis, as it has a lot more fresh wine-y-ness that I find works well in the drink as compared to the deep earthiness of Vya and Carpano (and the earthiest vermouth I've tried, Cocchi Vermouth Del Torino, which makes a killer Vieux Carre). The Dolin is so fruity and gentle that (I feel) the Campari dominates more than it ought.

I have been messing around with upping the vermouth to 1.5 to mellow it a bit, and especially with swapping out some Dubonnet Rouge (or Lillet Rouge, but I find Dubonnet a bit better here) for the vermouth (like 3/4) to up that wine-like flavor that I really like in the Negroni. Adding a half of Dubonnet to the 1:1:1 will both mellow it and up that winey-ness.

Ok. The foam is seperated. But there is much more foam. And much finer one. I'll just blend the egg white with my Zauberstab/bamix next time
lol8[1].gif

I've done everything right, theoretically, just not long and hard enough.

lol @ Bhowie.
happy.gif

Ah! A picture of the perfect Ramos Gin Fizz at the very best cocktail bar on earth, the Velvet Tango Room! I have had it and it is excellent there.

When I make them at home, I start shaking dry with the spring from a Hawthorne removed and straight up in my tun. It starts the emulsification faster that way -- then I add Ice once I've gotten it going. But I do not make the Ramos often (and I actually think I prefer the Golden Fizz with a whole egg anyway).

edit: credit where it is due, I think the Hawthorne trick is from Darcy O'Neil at Art of Drink, but I could be wrong.

~ H

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plymouth martini (3:1 gin:vermouth ratio). I have a co-op board meeting in half an hour, and will probably need another drink immediately thereafter.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plymouth martini (3:1 gin:vermouth ratio). I have a co-op board meeting in half an hour, and will probably need another drink immediately thereafter.

During is better.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gin Fizz.

9cl gin
6cl lemon juice
2cl simple syrup
16cl soda

Last edited:

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carte Blanche

2 measures rye
1/2 measure Cointreau
Dash of Fee Bros cherry bitters
2 dashes Fee Bros Old Fashioned bitters

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my more favorite "sweet" martinis. what's your recipe...anything unique?

nothing unique

I been using Cognac lately. Tons of Remy Martin VSOP collecting dust. For some odd reason, my family always seem to gift me a few bottles.

1.5 oz Gin
1.0 oz Simple syrup
.75 oz Lemon Juice

Top with Champagne

I was at my favorite bar today after work. For some reason, I thought about this thread.

Pequot Fizz

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Warren are you going to Tails?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads