1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know Porto like I know scotch. I do know that Port is all about house style -- if you find that you don't like a particular, say, Grahms', you probably won't like Grahms'. The common types are the Tawnys (aged and oxidized and mellowed), the Rubys (fresh and light), the Vintage Ports (all over the place) and the Late Bottled Vintage Ports (commonly called the poor man's vintage Port).

I don't know why the LBV wouldn't be considered traditional any less than anything else but a vintage. The Noval is not filtered, so you should decant, and it gets character, as Vintage ports due, from laying on the lees. Personally, I prefer LBVs to Tawnys for their brightness -- the tawnys have that nutty mellowness that is all to common in the world of aged spirits. Not too nuts about the Rubys, generally, too often not well done in my experience. Vintage jobs are clothing-budget destroyers, unless you have 20 yrs or so to spare.

So basically I say get ^^^^ that one. Not to beat the horse, but I really, really, really enjoy the stuff.

Best,
    Huntsman

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know Porto like I know scotch. I do know that Port is all about house style -- if you find that you don't like a particular, say, Grahms', you probably won't like Grahms'. The common types are the Tawnys (aged and oxidized and mellowed), the Rubys (fresh and light), the Vintage Ports (all over the place) and the Late Bottled Vintage Ports (commonly called the poor man's vintage Port).

I don't know why the LBV wouldn't be considered traditional any less than anything else but a vintage. The Noval is not filtered, so you should decant, and it gets character, as Vintage ports due, from laying on the lees. Personally, I prefer LBVs to Tawnys for their brightness -- the tawnys have that nutty mellowness that is all to common in the world of aged spirits. Not too nuts about the Rubys, generally, too often not well done in my experience. Vintage jobs are clothing-budget destroyers, unless you have 20 yrs or so to spare.

So basically I say get ^^^^ that one. Not to beat the horse, but I really, really, really enjoy the stuff.

Best,
    Huntsman

Right much appreciated, thank you. Oh, and [​IMG] is not necessarily a bad thing, so [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dapperdude

dapperdude Well-Known Member

4. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

Tonight at the bar: Rogue Mocha Porter, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Lost Coast Eight Ball Stout, and Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA. I have to say each successive beer was slightly worse than the previous, though overall a good night.

5. j

j Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Glass, ice, this, a tiny bit of water. Not bad.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

couple glasses of wine and some homemade Limoncello.

7. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Aaaah, Port. Huntsman, I have been meaning to get started on Port. There is a friend I have been badgering about this but I don't get to see him much. So, what would you recommend as a good introductory traditional Portuguese port? I want to try the original article first to get a baseline. Preferably one that will not cut in to my clothing budget [​IMG]

Go there, you won't regret it. Beautiful city and you can sample a huge range that doesn't get exported. For example, it's hard to find white port, and I have absolutely never come across one with the depth of character of several I tasted in Oporto.

8. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a whisky/whiskey n00b? I'm not one for drinking things neat, but I've deicided to man up and I'd like to give it a go.

9. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a whisky/whiskey n00b? I'm not one for drinking things neat, but I've deicided to man up and I'd like to give it a go.

What's your budget?

10. Bandwagonesque

What's your budget?

Prices are different here since it's government controlled and sold, but Walker Red is what I would consider "reasonably priced" (about $29/750 mL). Willing to pay a bit more for quality later on, but looking for something affordable that won't taste like oak aged piss for starters and turn me off for good. If things don't work out, I won't feel bad mixing it with coke [​IMG]

11. arenaissanceman

arenaissanceman Well-Known Member

Prices are different here since it's government controlled and sold, but Walker Red is what I would consider "reasonably priced" (about $29/750 mL). Willing to pay a bit more for quality later on, but looking for something affordable that won't taste like oak aged piss for starters and turn me off for good. If things don't work out, I won't feel bad mixing it with coke [​IMG]

Even though it's technically a Whiskey, JW Red and it's ilk are referred to as Scotch. Whiskey's are normally lumped in with Burbons and the like.

As for a starter, I'd say try Oban. It's a 14yr old single malt that's like drinking a Werther's Original. Really good shit.

McCallan is another choice but it's flavors are more potent and it isn't as smooth as the Oban.

I've never been a fan of Glenmorange or Glenlivet unless you get up into their 15yr+ offerings. Those will put you out of your price range for sure.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

diet coke and Big Black Dick coconut rum (a present from a now ex-girlfriend). Pretty damn good. Love getting my mouth around that big black dick, although it sometimes makes me gag.[​IMG]

Does actually taste really good though

13. Connemara

Love getting my mouth around that big black dick, although it sometimes makes me gag.[​IMG]

Interesting. That is often heard in conversations between iammatt and Quality Seller edmorel.

14. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

It's worth a few extra dollars to move up to JW Black. The red is not very good.

15. Connemara

For whiskey, go Wild Turkey. You won't regret it. The 101 is probably my favorite bourbon (though I do need to try the Rare Breed....).

16. arenaissanceman

For whiskey, go Wild Turkey. You won't regret it. The 101 is probably my favorite bourbon (though I do need to try the Rare Breed....).

Ah. You see, this explains a lot. Now I know where the Tina Turner escapade came from.

17. Bandwagonesque

Even though it's technically a Whiskey, JW Red and it's ilk are referred to as Scotch. Whiskey's are normally lumped in with Burbons and the like.

As for a starter, I'd say try Oban. It's a 14yr old single malt that's like drinking a Werther's Original. Really good shit.

McCallan is another choice but it's flavors are more potent and it isn't as smooth as the Oban.

I've never been a fan of Glenmorange or Glenlivet unless you get up into their 15yr+ offerings. Those will put you out of your price range for sure.

Yikes, the Oban is $99 for 750 mL here. [​IMG]

18. arenaissanceman

Yikes, the Oban is $99 for 750 mL here. [​IMG]

Holy shit! Really? I thought the $50 that I was paying was high. I know a friend of mine found it last year at Costco for $40.

19. Connemara

Ah. You see, this explains a lot. Now I know where the Tina Turner escapade came from.

???

20. arenaissanceman

???

101 proof = crazy dancing