1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are the ties in the show "Suits"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

I saw the last episode and Harvey had on a very nice dark grey/black tie. Here are some pics, although kind of hard to tell the details:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Love that show! The suits (at least Harvey's) are by Tom Ford. No idea where his ties are from, though I'd be curious to know, too, as there certainly are some nice ones in the show.

3. Kyle is raaddd

Kyle is raaddd Active Member

Purely excellent show.
    And last nights episode was amazing! (no spoilers)

I did think his suits looked similar to Tom Ford's cuts

4. TiberiasUSA

TiberiasUSA Well-Known Member

It is Tom ford :D

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

I remember reading they are from Brioni, Etro, and Zegna. His Suits are all Tom Ford, his shirts are Brioni apparently and shoes are A. Testoni

Heres an article that lists some of the stuff he wears, i can't seem to find the one i read last year though.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/08/harvey-specter-from-suits.html

6. Scabal Fanatic

Scabal Fanatic Active Member

Hi,

To add to Jeff13007, another link to answer your question: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/08/harvey-specter-from-suits.html

For the same romance factor, she outfits him with vintage cuff links from Sandy Wolson.
    His suits are Tom Ford, and they are tailored for the character. Shirts are also Tom Ford and Harry Rosen.
    "In Toronto, it is the center of the universe for men's clothing," Andreatta says. "It is very, very fashion forward. They have four floors and have very, very classic and handmade (clothes) on the top floor."
    His shirts are Pink Tartan, Canali, Brioni and Boss.

Set in the cutthroat world of a top New York law firm, this isn't the sort of office where ties are optional. Specter's ties are from Tom Ford, Burberry, Armani, Etro, Hermes and Barneys.

7. Recoil

Recoil Well-Known Member

That is hilarious. Apparently a small TF boutique in one store and a bit of RLBL makes you fashion forward. Harry Rosen's inventory is 90% navy/grey conservative cuts for overweight bankers and lawyers who work on Bay Street.

8. tristanbane

tristanbane Member

Been so addicted to this show! I just discovered it last week and it has really motivated me to dress nicer Hahah

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

The show is alright, but it's just like dozens of other shows. The main characters always have well-paying careers, and the show is usually about their workplace (lawfirm, office, hospital, etc), but they never actually work, haha. They just bounce around, involved in soap-opera issues. When there is a little work to be done, the main character always has a "superpower" that allows her/him to complete the job as quickly as possible and get back to the soap-opera (see: Mike's super memory)...all of the glamour...none of the work. You start to understand why everyone's so lazy and has an entitled attitude.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. zizou

zizou Well-Known Member

love the show and harvey's attire. but the big half-windsor knots don't do it for me.

11. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

If the show was exactly like real life, it would suck. :nodding:

Agreed. I much prefer the four-in-hand. But I think the bold nature of a Windsor knot works well for Harvey's character.

12. Kyle is raaddd

Kyle is raaddd Active Member

When I turn on the TV, I don't want to watch you sit at your desk all day.

1 person likes this.
  13. magsdad

magsdad New Member

Harvey's attire drove me to realize mine was a dated crappy mess. Lead me to SF and with the help of this site and the great advice, my new wardrobe. The show was very good at first, but I think it's gone down hill a bit. Story lines became too outlandish. But the suits are inspirational.

14. VinnyMac

...agreed 100% with both of you guys. If it was just like real life, it wouldn't stay on tv. I wasn't saying that it should be. I was just pointing out that it follows the same plot as every other show on tv:

1) The show's about a law firm (or a hospital or office) to give it a serious tone and cover up the fact that it's just a soap opera.
    2) It's almost completely focused on everything other than actual work issues (clothes, sex, money).
    3) In the rare instance where there is work to be done, the main characters always have "superpowers" that allow them to be top-performing hotshots without actually having to work for it.

Those "life of luxury with none of the work" stories are exactly what viewers want, but they also make people lazy and falsely entitled.

15. Tomboys

Tomboys Well-Known Member

I manage a staff and unfortunately, many people don't need shows to egg them on. They get there all by themselves. People tend to over-estimate their abilities and contributions to the companies they work for.

16. VinnyMac

In a pedantic, round-about way, you said the same thing that I did. That's usually what happens when someone's just trying to rationalize their tastes. Character development is great; it's what makes people tune in over and over again. Still, it doesn't change the way that they get to the character development...which is by giving the main characters "superpowers" so that they can skip the hardwork and get to the soap opera, haha. That's how most primetime tv shows work. If you like it, that's the only thing that matters. There's no need to try to manufacture a rationalization.

Let's let this thread move on or die [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. Theshow

Theshow New Member

Not all the suits are by tom Ford. get your facts strait. he wouldn't do that. MAYBE off the rack but not custom...

18. Theshow

Theshow New Member

I think he wears a full windsor not a half. its a pretty fat looking knot.

19. Lukes Dad

Lukes Dad New Member

I thought the the show had MTM work done by Bespoke in Toronto , but I could be wrong .
    I don't know about Mike or Louis's suits, but Harvey's suits are definitely not designs that one sees at Harry Rosen's.

Louis, like me is bigger , and his suits seem a little tight .

Do they retire any of the suits ?...

20. Lukes Dad

Lukes Dad New Member

I will get my tailor's opinion but I would guess that Harvey's suits ARE custom MTM .