1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What accessories would you like to see more of in stores???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Feb 17, 2008.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Long-legged, curvy, natural blonde saleswomen wearing the clothing from the store, but in a feminine way. Like a fitted 3roll2 sportcoat with only a bra under. Or boxer shorts, an OCBD and high heels. Or red plaid pants and no underwear.

Oh, yeah! +1

2. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

High quality gloves.

4. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

In the categorie of gentlemanaccessoiries, I believe Edmorel has got a little something called a fleshlight, made of ivory and satin... Labelking had a more upscale version made of a hollow elephant foot and vintage silk lining.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

In the categorie of gentlemanaccessoiries, I believe Edmorel has got a little something called a fleshlight, made of ivory and satin... Labelking had a more upscale version made of a hollow elephant foot and vintage silk lining.
    I'm not black, or Dominican.

6. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was a tight fit LK...
    (btw: nice the Dominican reference to the legendary playboy)

7. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

Fobs and fob chains

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

As I was reading this thread, I was trying to think of a store that has a good assortment of most of these things. Although most SF members seem to dislike their stalking sales help, Paul Stuart in NYC always seems to have a lot of belts, socks, cuff links, pocket squares, scarves, ties, etc. And, colorful options at that.

Are there any other stores that come to mind that are well stocked with a great range of quality accessories?

9. savilerogue

savilerogue Active Member

To add to the theme that seems to be developing in this thread, i.e. a dearth of decent accessories, I find that most stores have a pitiful selection of scarves.

10. misterjase

misterjase Well-Known Member

belts for sure. with range of colours and shades.

11. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Theres a store in cambridge, which has all manor of accessories. They have beautiful pocket squares, bow ties, ascots, ties, braces, belts, socks, scarves and even italian made umbrellas. Sadly a pair of cashmere pantherellas are $45. Ive noticed stores in the US have a much more bland selection of accessories then the ones in the UK.

12. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

Certainly pocket squares and shoes. Canadian stores don't carry a very strong selection of shoes (in fact, other than a pair of RM Williams recently, I haven't bought shoes in my native land in > 3 years)

13. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Well-Known Member

Certainly pocket squares and shoes. Canadian stores don't carry a very strong selection of shoes (in fact, other than a pair of RM Williams recently, I haven't bought shoes in my native land in > 3 years)

+1,000,000

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Higher quality accessories.

15. Modernist

Modernist Well-Known Member

Socks, especially OTC. It's too hard trying to find an OTC pair in a colour besides black/navy/gray.

16. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

Quality shoes of course, but I'd like to see something resembling shoe care on occaission. I'd welcome seeing a selection of quality hard wax and cream polish available from time to time.

Pocksquares for sure. Barneys, neiman and saks have them (at least in SF) but average > $80 per square. I'd welcome squares that were nicely made without the big tag or label.

Quality leather goods such as briefcases, portfolios, etc.

Quality cashmere goods.

17. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Pocket Squares and socks. Here in Cleveland the single best source for PS is Filene's Basement. That should let you in on how awful the selection is. Thankfully, I can go to Howard Yount or Kent Wang for some simple basic PS. Socks are still something of a mystery to me. I'm still looking for somebody who carries over-the-calf argyle socks in all sorts of ridiculous and outrageous colors. I'm guessing that'll come to Cleveland just before the Four Horsemen (and not the Four Horsemen that my signature would suggest, although you cannot deny that would awesome).

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

agreed wild socks in wool and cotton. Most of my wildest socks are in cotton, and i'd love to pick out a few in wool for the colder days (been 15 degrees lately here, except today).

Ascots in all sorts of combos.

Suspenders, not just formal suspenders.

Pocket squares, my local lord and taylors is great for squares, but most of the other stores i visit are ethier way too pricey, or too goofy.

Also Bowties, and not the jumbo sized ones, but the smaller ones which will work better for a skinny bastard like me.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I would second the the chap who complained about the dearth of ascots/cravats. I know of only two stores in the Los Angeles/Orange County area that regularly stock them--Carroll & Co. and Gary's. Both are very pricey. Carroll now wants $115 (up from $95 a year or two ago) and Gary's standing price seems to be $130. Brooks and the BH and SCP Polo stores have them sometimes. Again, they are fearfully pricey ($125-$150).

I don't know why there are so many complaints about the dearth of pocket squares. I have acquired 80+ squares over the past seven years, nearly all of them in LA/OC-area retail establishments. Admittedly, they are not nearly as abundant as neckties, but they can certainly be had at most retail clothiers. They actually seem to be more abundant now than seven years ago.

20. LookSharp

LookSharp Well-Known Member

Cravats, ascots and silk scarfs. Oh, and more than just really boring pocket squares - ornate paisleys and patterns.