1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What 3 shoes are your go-to footwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by denning, Mar 27, 2008.

1. denning

denning Well-Known Member

There have been lots of threads about the number of shoes, what kind of shoes, your dream shoe, etc., but I've never come across this before.

With all the shoes I own I find I keep going back to certain pairs and wearing them much more than others. Specifically:
    Grenson chestnut wholecut
    Grenson black wholecut
    Loake (they're great with jeans) antiqued tan chukkas

What are the 3 (or 4 or 5 if necessary) pairs (specifically styles and materials) that you find yourself gravitating to regularly?

2. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

A pair of brown leather Diesel shoes, these have been my casual workhorses for awhile and they are so very comfortable.

A black pair of cheap structure oxfords that have rubber soles and work well for casual or dressed up, especially in miserable messy New England weather, despite their cheapness the construction has held up and the leather on these shoes has actually worn in quite nicely.

A pair of slim black Zegna cap toes that work great when the weather gets nice in New England and you don't have to worry about all the salt and sand everywhere destroying your shoes.

3. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

It changes regularly, as I'll wear several pairs as "workhorse" shoes on a regular basis, with a few others thrown in, but then my preference in workhorse shoes changes. Right now, it seems to be:

(1) dark brown (almost EG dark oak) Bruno Magli chelsea boots. They look good, and I don't have to worry too much about scuffing them up.
    (2) chestnut Ferragamo Tramezza monkstraps, the Merald II. Again, they look good, they're comfortable, and I don't worry about them (I actually wear them, and the Magli chelsea boots, to go dancing).
    (3) Edwardian EG Dovers (a MTO purchase as the RLPL Pitney).
    (4) Shell cordovan Roman Martegani Lucca bluchers with a floating medallion.

I don't wear black shoes much, but when I do, it's invariably either a pair of Ferragamo Tramezza Filosofo monkstraps or RM Williams chelsea boots.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Dark tan (forgot what the actual name is) RM Williams Craftsman
    Grenson Ilkley brown brogue boots
    J. Crew mustard/tan suede brogue boots

5. heraclitus

heraclitus Member

1) "Dark brown" Grenson "chukka-style" boots - 10 years old now, no idea what the original colour / model was... [​IMG]
    2) Black Carmina Chelsea boots
    3) To be purchased!

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Alden 405
    Alden cordo captoe lace up boots w/ commando sole (black)
    Alden suede chukkas (brown)

^ Fall/Winter

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

currently...

Doc Marten 1460 8-hole boot
    Alden longwing cordovan brogue
    Paul Smith x Triumph laceup+zip boots

8. academe

academe Well-Known Member

Currently...

1. Paul May black brogued bluchers
    2. Church's for Jil Sander black oxfords
    3. Cydwoq brown bluchers

9. TIEALIGN

TIEALIGN Well-Known Member

1. Grenson Salisbury in black
    2. Allen Edmonds Troy in chestnut
    3. Michael Toschi Driving Mach in black nappa for casual wear.

10. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

1) Dover in Dark Oak
    2) New Balance 991
    3) New Balance 992

11. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

1) Prada chestnut brown jodphur boots
    2) Vans classic slip-on
    3) Adidas Stan Smith

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

One would have to be a pair of dark brown suede chelseas I got from Yoox for $35 or so.

13. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

Polo darlton cordovan
    Polo Holland boots
    New Balance 574

14. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

for the poor man...

Dress:
    CT Brown Chukkas
    CT Black Captoes
    Allen Edmonds Brown Loafers

Non-dress:
    White Cons
    Off White John Varvatos Cons
    Green Vans Chukkaboot

-Jeff

15. chas

chas Well-Known Member

1: Brown Santoni Brendan
    2: Cigar shell Alden plain toe oxford
    3: Black AE Park Avenue

16. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

1. Polo Falkirks in heavy rotation (dreading sending them to EG for repair $$$)
    2. Chestnut Alden Perf Caps
    3. Barneys brown cap toe

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

these days i only have 5 pairs of dress shoes, can you believe it? i sold everything.

so my 3 goto shoes are my 3 that i wear almost everyday:

Ferragamo rubber sole black bit loafer ( i wear this everyday almost , most comfortable, 3 days in a row even. sometimes i am in a rush i forget to put in trees. this pair is still durable and awesome. that put an end to the notion of "rotate your shoes" as a mandatory for me imo)

Santoni classic black Braden penny loafer (i wear this for more dress occasions. i know, penny loafer, but i dont care these days anymore. im so good on loafers because i dont need to bend down and fuss with tying anymore. i dont even use horn anymore, i just smash my foot in. nice sleek wellmade penny loafer)

AE Cameron burgundy (another penny loafer, but this one just by default something to slip on when i am running to somewhere close to take care of an errand or something. nothing great, i have a AE bradley , and to tellyou the truth, my two AEs are the most uncomfortable of the 4 shoes ihave. imo.
    ferragamo fits and feels like comfort. the AEs feel like wood crates around my feet sometimes. i would never wear them all day. of course Jan will disagree.)

i know that sometimes i see a premium shoe on a good price somewhere sometime and i get a strong urge to get it. but these days i just hold off and let that feeling stir inside for a few days, and it subsides. then reason kicks in and i get relieved i did not spend $400+ on a pair shoes i dont need. jeans now is a different thing though[​IMG]

18. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Well-Known Member

- Florsheim Kenmoor Longwings in burgandy shell
    - AE chukkas in black shell with rubber sole - Stanford, I think?
    - AE burgandy shell loafers - Randolph?

19. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Alden LHS Burgundy shell which are now a burnished brown
    Darlton Brown Shell shortwings
    Alden Burgundy Shell NST

Last year at this time

Vintage Florsheim Burgundy Shell Longwings tied with vintage Black pebble grained Florsheim Longwings
    Cognac Pebble grain Cazoleria Harris double sole shortwings
    Brown JC Penney by Florsheim vintage leather double soled, leather heeled longwings

20. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

One would have to be a pair of dark brown suede chelseas I got from Yoox for $35 or so.
    I commend you on your good taste. [​IMG] [​IMG]

these days i only have 5 pairs of dress shoes, can you believe it? i sold everything.

so my 3 goto shoes are my 3 that i wear almost everyday:

Ferragamo rubber sole black bit loafer ( i wear this everyday almost , most comfortable, 3 days in a row even. sometimes i am in a rush i forget to put in trees. this pair is still durable and awesome. that put an end to the notion of "rotate your shoes" as a mandatory for me imo)

Santoni classic black Braden penny loafer (i wear this for more dress occasions. i know, penny loafer, but i dont care these days anymore. im so good on loafers because i dont need to bend down and fuss with tying anymore. i dont even use horn anymore, i just smash my foot in. nice sleek wellmade penny loafer)

AE Cameron burgundy (another penny loafer, but this one just by default something to slip on when i am running to somewhere close to take care of an errand or something. nothing great, i have a AE bradley , and to tellyou the truth, my two AEs are the most uncomfortable of the 4 shoes ihave. imo.
    ferragamo fits and feels like comfort. the AEs feel like wood crates around my feet sometimes. i would never wear them all day. of course Jan will disagree.)

i know that sometimes i see a premium shoe on a good price somewhere sometime and i get a strong urge to get it. but these days i just hold off and let that feeling stir inside for a few days, and it subsides. then reason kicks in and i get relieved i did not spend $400+ on a pair shoes i dont need. jeans now is a different thing though[​IMG]

Wow...