1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Western shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kent Wang, May 26, 2005.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

shorty long, excellent find. I like the wrangler-style off-center pockets. As far as hipster trend, they've been around a long time, even in hipster circles.

I used to have a pendleton wool western shirt that was a perfect gray/blue/gold plaid, but it fell apart and I've been on the lookout for a similar shirt since. I know there's always a few on ebay, and they pop up in thrifts, but they're usually huge/disproportionate/shrunken/bad plaids.

DDML, how do you like the nudie shirt? What do you wear it with?

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

SM; I wear the gunnar with my canes (my everyday jeans). I treat it like a light jacket, in this weather, I've been throwing it over whatever else I happen to be wearing, whether it be collared shirts, t-shirts, tank tops; in this heat, I cuff the arms and leave it untucked and unbuttoned. I keep it in the back of my car for when the need arises. It's good for gardening----keeps the sun off.

3. Dill

Dill Well-Known Member

I picked up one of the rag&bone western shirts from that shopjake sale the other week and its pretty awesome.

4. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

The 45RPM one is pretty damn nice, no way in hell would I pay that much though :p

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I could see that working. The shopjake price is tempting...

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

The western shirt has just become a classical style that is even better now that it is out of fashion.

7. giantreptile

giantreptile Active Member

I love western style shirts, both vintage and designer remakes, both of which fit much better than, say, Lucky Brand ones. My favorite shirt is actually a "western inspired" Brown Prada stretch poplin number, with the cruved chest pockets, and 3 button cuffs. I really like the Cotton Poly shirts from the 60's and seventies, which are comfortable, look good, and can be exceedingly durable. And I've always had a thing for pearl snaps.

I think that western and military inspired styles, will never be completely *out*. The popularity might wax and wane, but they will always be staples.

I guess that's it for SF. Anyway, I know exactly what you are talking about with that Prada shirt. I had the same thing in a forest green. I really liked the design too, but the polyester aspect made me sweat like a farm animal. therefore i don't recommend anything that isn't 100% cotton. as for western shirts that I own, and recommend:

raw Lee repro from aeroleather is amazing
    gucci tailored has great buttons that don't snag on my facial hair
    built by wendy wrangler repro is well designed and light-weight
    newish Levi denim is a great standard, albeit boxy fit
    45rpm distressed denim western is great, but expensive
    japanese wrangler western from aeroleather are wonderful, but size up
    rag and bone short sleeve western is a great find, more conservative
    rogan's earlier (made in the usa) westerns are cool, avoid anything new

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

9. sybaritical

sybaritical Well-Known Member

I was quite impressed by the these reworked shirts when I saw them:

http://www.thisoldthing.net/han.html

Might bust out my machine and try it myself if I can source a few decent pieces from somewhere.