1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss / Weight Gain and Tailoring

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shipbroker, Oct 31, 2012.

1. shipbroker

shipbroker Member

Hello Gents

Quick question regarding weight gain / weight loss and tailoring -

I've never made a huge leap into tailoring proper given my yo-yoing weight.

My first foray into bespoke shirts and odd trousers saw me gain a fair bit of weight. Needless to say all those shirts and trousers now lay at the back of my closet.

I've started to shed some weight but progress has been slow.

The OTR M&S trousers I've bought for work (and had taken in recently) have started to become too loose again.

I'm contemplating getting some trousers and shirts made again but worry that they'll have to be altered again with more weight loss.

How do you guys get around this?

Get clothes made and hope to alter it as much as possible?

Or put it off till you reach your ideal weight/size?

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Pants can be made with side adjusters. One advantage of that is in handling weight-related changes. Of course if pants are too loose, a belt can help - although regardless of waist fit, there's a point at which the whole thing looks too baggy.

3. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

With trousers and jackets, there can altered depending on the inlay; however, if you are yo-yoing between 3 sizes (or more) then altering the garments would not be worthwhile. Shirts would be the concern, they less forgiving.

You should avoid spending lots of money on clothes until you have a settled weight

4. knezz

knezz Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I lost about 40lbs in the last 7 months. I'm pretty stable now but I'm not completely satified and wish to loose a few more pounds (mainly in the mid section).I've been at a stanstill for a few months regardless of my efforts. I'm going to give it one last try. If I don't drop anymore I will consider purchasing some new better fitting item. If I am able to shed a few more I will wait at least 3 months to insure that I'm relatively stable before I alter and/or purchase. I held off buying anything expensive. I also kept my jacket on at all times as it would have been useless to alter my paints. I did purchase some inexpensive pants in my new smaller size to get me through..