• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tuxedos

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
+1

I was in a wedding not long ago and, though I have my own MTM RLPL tuxedo and furnishings, I was forced to wear a Men's Wearhouse rented monstrosity so as to "match" everyone else in the wedding party (save for the groom, who was wearing RLBL). At least I wore my own shoes and shirt...but I was beyond uncomfortable in more than one sense.
+100000000000000

but if you want to rent tuxes:

jos a banks, men's wearhouse would prob be your best bets. They use a 3rd party for their rentals, I think the same company, but you should be able to find both in SF and Chicago.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+100,000

To the OP, you've got to understand that this is a community, and not just a question answering service. If it were just you, it wouldn't be so bad, but when you have a handful a people a week asking the same damn questions over and over again with no attention paid to the general mindset or what this forum is for, it gets a little annoying, especially when they do nothing to contribute to the community in return. If you are curious as to why some people seem slightly hostile, it's because the majority of the people here don't care about your Mens Warehouse conundrum, because we take our clothing a bit more seriously (and it has nothing to do with income, by the way), and if you had hung around for a bit longer before posing your question, you probably would have realized that.

To put it in a different way, pretend we're not online anymore. If this were a mens club, where people got together to hang out and discuss a common interest, would you barge in and demand that your questions be answered before introducing yourself and meeting a few folks?

I'm sure that there are plenty of people on this forum, perhaps even some longtime members, who disagree with me and think that we have an obligation to just answer your question and send you on your way, but I would bet that my views are inline with a large portion of the members here who want this forum to be something more than "ask.com" for interviews and weddings.

I'm happy to dispense with advice as much as I'm comfortable with, I just wish all of the people who post here would actually listen to the advice that is given, instead of:

Can I get your cell phone number so I can have my fiance call you? I'm sure you can tell her how to plan the entire wedding
dozingoff.gif

It may be the whisky talking, but don't ask and we won't tell, Rich (and everyone like you).

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Letting the groomsmen wear their own tuxedos will look 1000x better. They will all be within the same genus of "black tie", but the slight variations (and better fit) will look so much better.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And pls tell the fiancé that she does NOT know what is best for the dudes.....
geez.....I know that it is her day and all that...but man the **** up. You are not picking her shoes.....

(FYI-I am not married)

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
may I simply point out that the 'wear your own tuxedo' is only useful if all of the parties mentioned OWN their own tuxedo. It seems that the assumption is that every man clearly owns their own tuxedo. Aside from myself, I cannot name a SINGLE parent or friend that i know that owns their own tuxedo. I wore my own for my wedding, and i would have had a bunch of groomsmen in boxers and undershirts if i had them wear their own.

that being said, i agree in principle. just the execution is a bit more difficult than is assumed

Also, JOS A bank is pretty good

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So all the men are going to be in il-fitting polyester rental tuxedos?

:lurk:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DJosef

Reaction score
Whoa, talk about "bridezillas"... Gentlemen, we clearly have a groomzilla on our hands.
biggrin.gif

ddsg

Reaction score
You're also all assuming that those who will go buy/rent a tuxedo will actually know how it's supposed to fit and look. I'll take matching tuxedos over notched lapels "tuxedos" and skinny ties.

Persephone

Reaction score

To the other guys, this is a wedding... not the time for myself or anyone else to express themselves.  It's all about the bride.

Really?!? You play no role in this? She must be marrying herself then... Well, what do I know, stranger things have surely happened.
BTW, I am a lady, who had a very formal wedding (Catholic cathedral ceremony in Europe, 13-hour reception in a beautiful early 18th century estate), and I would not have dreamt to tell my husband that he has no role in the wedding, that it is/ was all about me, or what he should wear. No matching bridesmaids, coordinated wedding colours, or similar wedding industry marketing nonsense either.

Also, I am certain you mean fiancee, unless you are marrying a man - which would be completely fine. I do not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

The idea that weddings should be "coordinated" in this way is a modern vulgarity. I can see the need for some guidance to the groomsmen if it's not black tie. But if it is black tie, things are already well coordinated enough. Forcing everyone into the same rented outfit just guarantees that everyone will look bad and uncomfortable.

biged781

Reaction score
I know because this is perhaps the #1 cause célèbre of Men's Clothing on StyleForum. At least once a week somebody comes here asking what outfit they should make their groomsmen wear or where they should have their groomsmen rent tuxedos, this same thing happens every time. Nobody with any sophistication or elegance puts their wedding party in identical outfits.
Agreed. I'm sick of throwing on some Men's Warehouse piece of garbage because everyone (i.e., the bride) thinks that the groomsman all need to be in the same exact outfit. Nonsense.

Last edited:

Persephone

Reaction score

Agreed.  I'm sick of throwing on some Men's Warehouse piece of garbage because everyone (i.e., the bride) thinks that the groomsman all need to be in the same exact outfit.  Nonsense.

I completely agree with you, but I cannot lay all the blame at the feet of brides/ women. Gentlemen, grow a set of balls, become involved, and take ownership. This is the start of your marriage as well, and you have just as much right, I'd even say obligation or duty, to plan, organise, and celebrate this ceremony. The sad fact is that most men are only too happy to transfer sole authority and responsibility to their fiancées. Most women do not know the first or last thing about men's clothing, and are thus easy prey for the host of so-called "stylists", "experts" and wedding industry professionals that will bombard them with the latest trendy rubbish.

The decline of formality in our societies, especially in North America, has left women unaware of traditions, etiquette and convention, which conflicts with the desire to still have a "princess" moment. I truly believe if women had more access to formal and semi-formal events in their regular lives, the excesses we read about would not occur, as ladies and gentlemen could familiarise themselves with social conventions slowly and naturally. Perhaps I am completely wrong in my opinions, but I do not think so.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely agree with you, but I cannot lay all the blame at the feet of brides/ women. Gentlemen, grow a set of balls, become involved, and take ownership. This is the start of your marriage as well, and you have just as much right, I'd even say obligation or duty, to plan, organise, and celebrate this ceremony. The sad fact is that most men are only too happy to transfer sole authority and responsibility to their fiancées. Most women do not know the first or last thing about men's clothing, and are thus easy prey for the host of so-called "stylists", "experts" and wedding industry professionals that will bombard them with the latest trendy rubbish.

The decline of formality in our societies, especially in North America, has left women unaware of traditions, etiquette and convention, which conflicts with the desire to still have a "princess" moment. I truly believe if women had more access to formal and semi-formal events in their regular lives, the excesses we read about would not occur, as ladies and gentlemen could familiarise themselves with social conventions slowly and naturally. Perhaps I am completely wrong in my opinions, but I do not think so.

+1 for the most part.

I definitely agree that men should be more involved in these things. The problem is when you are a groomsman and the groom just outsources everything to his fiancee and doesn't have a lot of knowledge about these traditions and how formal dress is supposed to work. The average guy in the U.S. or most other countries is probably not going to disagree with what his wife wants on something like what the groomsmen should wear and you can only do so much. People on this forum are an exception, but you have very little control over things when you are in the wedding party and not the guy getting married. I'd bet most of the guys here who are bothered by having to rent a tux when they own a better one would never agree to wear a rented tux to their own future wedding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads