1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wedding Tuxedos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Richmond44, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

Hello,

I am getting married in June and need to figure out tuxedos for my groomsmen. The wedding is in San Francisco and the groomsmen are from Chicago and San Francisco. Does anyone know of any nationwide tuxedo rental shops that I can get the tuxes from. I've been searching for a bit and haven't been able to find any decent ones.

Thanks a lot for all your help

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Just let your groomsmen figure it out for themselves. Some of them may even own a tux already.

3. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

That won't work for our wedding. We need the tuxes to be all the same color (on the groomsman). There are several different types of blacks. Most weddings, the groomsman all wear the same style tuxes.

4. unbelragazzo

Most weddings look silly in that respect. Let them wear their own clothes. Do not force them to match like 6-year olds.

3 people like this.
  5. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

Can I get your cell phone number so I can have my fiance call you? I'm sure you can tell her how to plan the entire wedding [​IMG]

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

6. unbelragazzo

You came here asking for advice about tuxes. I just gave it to you. Pretty much everybody else here is going to give you the same advice.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Are you telling your fiance what her bridesmaids should wear? No.
    :eh:

8. unbelragazzo

I know because this is perhaps the #1 cause célèbre of Men's Clothing on StyleForum. At least once a week somebody comes here asking what outfit they should make their groomsmen wear or where they should have their groomsmen rent tuxedos, this same thing happens every time. Nobody with any sophistication or elegance puts their wedding party in identical outfits.

1 person likes this.
  9. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Well-Known Member

Richmond44 is quite right, it's not a " come as you are afair ", this is how wedding are coordinated. You might also consider that how a wedding is orchestrated is a most important thing to the bride, which she wants to come off the right way, or there will be dues to pay.
    Rich -- you might check with Mens wearhouse or JS Banks to see if they are in all locations, so groomsmen can be measured and then picked everything up in SF.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. unbelragazzo

The idea that weddings should be "coordinated" in this way is a modern vulgarity. I can see the need for some guidance to the groomsmen if it's not black tie. But if it is black tie, things are already well coordinated enough. Forcing everyone into the same rented outfit just guarantees that everyone will look bad and uncomfortable.

1 person likes this.
  11. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

Thanks for the advise Roger. To the other guys, this is a wedding... not the time for myself or anyone else to express themselves. It's all about the bride. I did however purchase myself a killer tux that I'm excited to wear :)

12. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

I'll be sure to send you pictures of the wedding... I don't think my friends and family will be uncomfortable and look bad at my wedding. Get a sniff buddy. I simply asked about rental shops for tuxedos. I didn't ask for your opinion on renting tuxes or your outlook on life. Beat it

13. codeman92190

codeman92190 Well-Known Member

+100,000

To the OP, you've got to understand that this is a community, and not just a question answering service. If it were just you, it wouldn't be so bad, but when you have a handful a people a week asking the same damn questions over and over again with no attention paid to the general mindset or what this forum is for, it gets a little annoying, especially when they do nothing to contribute to the community in return. If you are curious as to why some people seem slightly hostile, it's because the majority of the people here don't care about your Mens Warehouse conundrum, because we take our clothing a bit more seriously (and it has nothing to do with income, by the way), and if you had hung around for a bit longer before posing your question, you probably would have realized that.

To put it in a different way, pretend we're not online anymore. If this were a mens club, where people got together to hang out and discuss a common interest, would you barge in and demand that your questions be answered before introducing yourself and meeting a few folks?

I'm sure that there are plenty of people on this forum, perhaps even some longtime members, who disagree with me and think that we have an obligation to just answer your question and send you on your way, but I would bet that my views are inline with a large portion of the members here who want this forum to be something more than "ask.com" for interviews and weddings.

3 people like this.
  14. Richmond44

Richmond44 Member

I understand how that can be annoying, but wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the whole post??? I have been browsing the site for years and have gotten some great tips from people. I find it ridiculous to flame someone for asking a simple question.

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

+1

I was in a wedding not long ago and, though I have my own MTM RLPL tuxedo and furnishings, I was forced to wear a Men's Wearhouse rented monstrosity so as to "match" everyone else in the wedding party (save for the groom, who was wearing RLBL). At least I wore my own shoes and shirt...but I was beyond uncomfortable in more than one sense.

16. TiberiasUSA

TiberiasUSA Well-Known Member

+100000000000000

but if you want to rent tuxes:

jos a banks, men's wearhouse would prob be your best bets. They use a 3rd party for their rentals, I think the same company, but you should be able to find both in SF and Chicago.

17. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

I'm happy to dispense with advice as much as I'm comfortable with, I just wish all of the people who post here would actually listen to the advice that is given, instead of:

It may be the whisky talking, but don't ask and we won't tell, Rich (and everyone like you).

18. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

Letting the groomsmen wear their own tuxedos will look 1000x better. They will all be within the same genus of "black tie", but the slight variations (and better fit) will look so much better.

2 people like this.
  19. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

And pls tell the fiancé that she does NOT know what is best for the dudes.....
    geez.....I know that it is her day and all that...but man the fuck up. You are not picking her shoes.....

(FYI-I am not married)

1 person likes this.
  20. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

may I simply point out that the 'wear your own tuxedo' is only useful if all of the parties mentioned OWN their own tuxedo. It seems that the assumption is that every man clearly owns their own tuxedo. Aside from myself, I cannot name a SINGLE parent or friend that i know that owns their own tuxedo. I wore my own for my wedding, and i would have had a bunch of groomsmen in boxers and undershirts if i had them wear their own.

that being said, i agree in principle. just the execution is a bit more difficult than is assumed

Also, JOS A bank is pretty good