1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wedding band advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stanwelks, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ddonicht

ddonicht Well-Known Member

Platinum is a good alternative to white gold in that it is a little stronger and since it is pure instead of being an alloy, you are less likely to develop reactions to it. Titanium, Tungsten, and stainless steel are all good option especially if you do much work with tools and heavy equipment. Tungsten is hard to cut but as has been mentioned, it is brittle (it is basically iron). So in an emergency they would probably have to put it on a hard surface and hit it with a hammer.

The option I have is a ceramic ring. Like with tungsten, it is hard but brittle. It just isn't as tough to break as tungsten. Neither can be sized so you have to order the correct size. In my case it is a black band with a stainless insert. This is a link to it. http://www.fredmeyerjewelers.com/Products/Black_Ceramic_and_Stainless_Steel_Ring--1274042.aspx

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I actually meant palladium. I just had it resized/refinished and it looks new. (for free! I love Borsheim's :inlove: )

3. DJackson

DJackson Well-Known Member

You know, I bet palladium is a good choice too. One of the reasons I like platinum and gold (I guess any solid semi soft metal) is they way it wears in. Man I hated the mirror shine on my ring when I first got married. Palladium is a precious metal to boot.

1 person likes this.
  4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I know this thread is a few years old but our next generation is buying a ring right now.

Mine is similar to this one at 3mm wide. I too am glad that it's now a 'bit' worn as I didn't like the shiny new look. Next generation is going with a 4mm wide band.

[​IMG]

That said I sometimes wear a band that belonged to a grandparent ... wear it on my right hand ... ring finger. I's about 5mm and I do like it.

Personally I'm partial to yellow gold ... but much depends upon complexion and what looks good on you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. tamech67

tamech67 New Member

Man that is a tough question on what to buy for your wedding band. There's like a million choices now!

I have been married 25 years (to same lady!) and I am on my 6th wedding band. Outgrew the first one, wore out the second one.
    Both of those were yellow gold.

Then wife bought me a platinum /diamond one for about $1800. Lost that one.

Finally, I decided I don't need an expensive one. Bought a titanium band a few years ago. (Bought it here - http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/titanium-rings2.html ) It was kind of simple.

Then this company started carrying tungsten rings and they were pretty inexpensive and liked the idea of them not scratching.
    My titanium ring does scratch. So I bought a tungsten one from them about 2012.

Just last year I bought a meteorite ring that is way cool! But if I had it to do over I would custom design a meteorite ring like this one with rose gold. (My son in law wears a rose gold band and I really like it - it's big and distressed) Ring I want: http://www.yatesjewelers.com/rose-gold-meteorite-wedding-band.html

Anyways, I don't think there is a right or a wrong choice. It's up to each persons budget and style.

Hope this helps!

Taylor

6. kookystyle

kookystyle Member

Platinum is great and looks good if you don't wear it constantly. I have a 4mm Platinum band and also a cheap everyday 4mm Titanium band.

I prefer a thinner band because it doesn't feel like it's there. Platinum will be heavier. If you have a larger band you'll feel it on your hand.

7. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

+1. I'm not married, but to me, there is no question what I will pick. I think the only wiggle room you have is a bit of space and size (but not really much). Just as with black tie, this is one area where you simply should go with the classic, period.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015