1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wedding band advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stanwelks, Apr 6, 2011.

1. stanwelks

stanwelks Well-Known Member

I'm getting married and need to get a wedding band. I've never worn a ring, and am not too fond of the idea, though she wants me to wear one.

Can anyone provide any suggestions? I will not wear yellow gold or diamonds.

Thanks.

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Why? A wedding band is a perfectly masculine thing. Hell, it's one of the few nice accessories men can wear. Wear it proudly.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

It's slightly annoying for a week or two, then your brain blocks it out and you don't even notice it. I enjoy wearing one, a visible sign of the marriage. I find myself fiddling with it on occasion and smile, reminds me of the wife in a context that I wouldn't have thought of her otherwise.

I have a yellow gold and platinum mokume gane ring. It's a woodgrain pattern, fairly subtle. I wanted something different and settled on this. 6mm width, could have gone wider and I certainly wouldn't go narrower.

I don't really see why people worry about weight, one of the selling points for titanium is the lightness. Even gold or platinum is only a few ounces, and it's right at the base of your finger. You really don't notice the weight at all. Nothing wrong with titanium, just find them a bit pedestrian. Gold has been the classic for jewelry for millenia for a reason.

Platinum is pretty reasonably priced compared to gold these days. You can beat it up pretty good too.

4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

Be original and get yellow gold [​IMG]

Everyone thesedays detests yellow gold for some reason. They are all opting for white/ rose gold or platinum.

Don't know your budget, but get something more interesting than a plain band.

5. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

White gold or platinum then. Nuff Zed.

6. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Be original and get yellow gold [​IMG]

Everyone thesedays detests yellow gold for some reason. They are all opting for white/ rose gold or platinum.

Don't know your budget, but get something more interesting than a plain band.

Probably because people like to match their metals and don't wanna go gold on everything else.

7. b.boris52

b.boris52 Member

8. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Well-Known Member

I've got a 5mm plain court ring in palladium. It's a bit cheaper than white gold and to the untrained eye, pretty undistinguishable.

It might seem a bit cheap of me, but we were going through a bit of a bad patch financially in the run-up to the wedding and it was a sacrifice I was happy to make. It certainly doesn't mean any less to me than if I did go for white gold. If you're interested, the wife has her grandmother's platinum wedding band.

It is a little odd at first, but you soon get used to it. The problem is, if you take it off to do messy things, remembering to put it back on.

Another tip. Titanium is fine, but apparently it's possible to get tungsten carbide rings. They're pretty much indestructible, which may seem good but if you're in an accident and they need to cut off your ring to save your finger they might have issues with that.

9. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

People have been wearing yellow gold wedding bands for thousands of years. This white gold thing is going to pass. Yellow gold will always be "El Classico". [​IMG]

I think a wedding ring looks very masculine if it's just a plain ring with no bling bling. I can see your aversion to diamonds, I would never wear diamonds myself. Maybe when I become Emperor of the World though. I would wear a gigantic diamond crown and call it the Peace Maker. But I think this might be a few years away.

2 people like this.
  10. graymerica

graymerica Well-Known Member

I looked all over the place for a wedding band, and finally bought a plain platinum comfort fit (rounded edge) band from amazon.

It was 1/3 the price of anything at a local jewelry store. I had it appraised locally and they confirmed that it was platinum. Platinum is the way to go. Gold is too soft. Tungsten and Titanium is too hard and can not be cut off your finger if it swells. (you could lose your finger)

It gets a dull patina and will match anything.

I like simple stuff and I was not going to pay full retail for something that basic. The amazon one was identical to the local ones.

Let your wife wear diamonds, get a band that is plain and that you do not need insurance on. If you lose it, you can just go back to amazon and get another one.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

White gold or platinum then. Nuff Zed.

+1

12. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Yellow gold and discrete.

I have one which is squared off so that it does not irritate the two adjacent fingers, it may be unnecessary but it works for me.

1 person likes this.
  13. mic

mic Well-Known Member

Another tip. Titanium is fine, but apparently it's possible to get tungsten carbide rings. They're pretty much indestructible, which may seem good but if you're in an accident and they need to cut off your ring to save your finger they might have issues with that.

True this! I've had to cut rings off on 2 occasions. It isn't an issue with any other material I'm aware of.

14. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

It was 1/3 the price of anything at a local jewelry store. I had it appraised locally and they confirmed that it was platinum. Platinum is the way to go. Gold is too soft. Tungsten and Titanium is too hard and can not be cut off your finger if it swells. (you could lose your finger)
    Both tungsten and titanium can be cut. Either is a good choice for an inexpensive wedding band.

15. Wolfador

Wolfador Well-Known Member

I had a Tungsten band for about a year and my wife had a white gold ring, however she is allergic to most metals and we kept having to get it coated so it would not cause her to break out.

So about a year ago we both got tattoo's instead of rings. Just a simple V XXV (5-25 for our anniversary)

They are just on the top of the ring finger and mine can easily be covered by my actual ring if I need it to be.

16. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I got Palladium, and for me the prices were

Platinum > Palladium > White Gold, though of course it depends what purity of gold you're talking about

Palladium has the characteristics of Platinum, it will just last a hundred years instead of a thousand. they will both stay white, unlike white gold, which will yellow over time. that was my understanding anyways

17. mic

mic Well-Known Member

Both tungsten and titanium can be cut. Either is a good choice for an inexpensive wedding band.

Disagree. I have used several ring cutters and have yet to see one that could touch tungsten.

While tungsten absolutely can be cut with the correct tool or abrasive, I seriously doubt that a given health care facility will have access to that equipment in an emergency setting... in my experience it can be hard enough to locate the standard ring cutter.

18. Chico2007

Chico2007 Well-Known Member

I'm getting married and need to get a wedding band. I've never worn a ring, and am not too fond of the idea, though she wants me to wear one. Can anyone provide any suggestions? I will not wear yellow gold or diamonds. Thanks.
    Why don't you want to wear one? If you're a player and think it's going to cramp your style, think again. These things are chick magnets.[​IMG] Good idea to avoid diamonds. Go with a rounded edge (sometimes called comfort fit). Just keep the look as classic as possible and you'll be fine.

19. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Well-Known Member

Disagree. I have used several ring cutters and have yet to see one that could touch tungsten.

My cousin's husband came across a report from an incident with a tungsten ring at work. No kind of ring cutter will get through it as it's essentially made from the same stuff as the cutter is. Apparently what you need is a very strong pair of snips.

20. JRB

JRB Well-Known Member

Step 1: Go to your local hardware store
    Step 2: Buy a stainless steel pipe from the plumbing section, stick your finger in them until it's tight, but can still pull it out, then buy the next size smaller
    Step 3: Cut to size, smooth off sharp edges.

Boom! Stainless steel is the way of the future.

In all honesty, I do have a couple friends that have gone with a dirt cheap stainless steel band (from a jeweler). I have a plain jane platinum band, comfort fit. Now that it's been there a few years I kind of wish I would have went with something with more ... personality. Saw one the other day with a "hammered" band running through the middle, I quite liked it.