1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wearing a suit to a club

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ozymandias, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ozymandias

ozymandias Well-Known Member

Yes..No? I recently watched a video where a few image consultants claimed that unless you are Jay Z it's not worth doing. Isn't it one thing rappers (the better ones) got right? Always look like you have somewhere better to be.

Just to clarify I'm not talking about middle management in Delaware suit, but something modern which some like to refer as the RLBL syndrome. Maybe a more colorful shirt/tie than you'd wear to work.

2. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Depends probably on the type of club you are referring to.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Depends probably on the type of club you are referring to.

Exactly. A suit is mandatory, for example, if attending a club such as the Athenaeum in Melbourne (or similar such clubs elsewhere). If it's a night club, then no, probably not.

4. satorstyle

satorstyle Well-Known Member

If you plan on really working up a sweat I would say sans tie, or a sport coat and slacks.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I've been to several clubs where many people wore suits. It's not uncommon here in DC.

6. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

If you're a frequent club goer, it might be worthwhile to buy a buget fashion suit from H&M or Zara. Many celebrity clubs in LA require you to wear a jacket. Unless you're buying bottles after bottles, wearing a suit would often win you favors with club bouncers/organizers.

7. ozymandias

ozymandias Well-Known Member

Exactly. A suit is mandatory, for example, if attending a club such as the Athenaeum in Melbourne (or similar such clubs elsewhere). If it's a night club, then no, probably not.

While that looks intriguing I meant more in a nightclub type of way. Obviously Ibiza, and the cream of Moscow and NY are not in question.

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Never wear a good suit in a club for obvious reasons...Cigarettes burns , alcohol or food stains , need for constant dry-cleaning (death by chemical)..

9. NotchLapel

NotchLapel Well-Known Member

Never wear a good suit in a club for obvious reasons...Cigarettes burns , alcohol or food stains , need for constant dry-cleaning (death by chemical)..

Yes I have to agree don't wear your best suit or blazer.

I would say dumb down the suit. For example, a blazer and a good pair of dark wash jeans with a white dress shirt and a skinny tie would be a nice club attire. It shows class but makes the outfit go from formal to classy casual.

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

totally agree with Benjamin, get a cheaper slim cut "club suit" from Zara/H&M/Polo (on sale) or something like that... you don't want cheap beer or rum coke or vodka ruining your jacket.