• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ivar

Reaction score
^^^ I don't see how their being "functional" has anything to do with it. Ugly shoes are ugly.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:D

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jTNgezA.jpg
LAPqRY6.jpg

sinfjotli

Reaction score
^ This is awesome - but in terms of style, there is a world of difference between NOBD's hiking boots and the Keens of CP (as much as I like CP's fit otherwise). Mind you, I am perfectly fine with wearing the Keens with what people usually wear hiking these days (fleece, hiking pants, waterproof jacket etc.). But OCBD + shetland sweater call for something more traditionally styled IMHO.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I don't see how their being "functional" has anything to do with it. Ugly shoes are ugly.

Thank you for this gem. I'll remember to disregard the rest of your posts.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
he's right though. they're ugly for hiking shoes, and there's something strange about wearing extremely functional shoes and then khakis and an OCBD to go hiking.

also i think i've seen maybe 5 people wear keens to actually hike in. the rest wear them to the office.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you people nuts? Khakis are derived from military pants and an OCBD is a shirt for riding horses. What should he wear instead?

As for the shoes, do you critique running shoes for being ugly? Not sneakers. RUNNING SHOES for people who are running in them? Fit and function are king for activity shoes. I don't give a flying if my running shoes are ugly if they work.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NOBD, is that shot from today? I hope that the snow hasn't already started for you.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It must be a boring, slow Friday!

On the day of the picture, I spent two hours in a university library where the temperature was freezing. Hence, the sweater.
After my research was finished, I walked about 6 miles, across the town, mostly through the trails and (fairly steep) hills of the Arboretum. The Keens were perfect for this. While on the walk, the sweater went into my knapsack. Earlier, this year, I underwent 6 months of grueling physical therapy so that I could run and walk (normally) again. At one point, I could not even climb stairs. For a walk like this, the Keens gave me the support that I needed. When I arrived at my destination, for a lunch date, I switched to the weejuns that I had in my knapsack.

I posted the picture of the (despised?) Keens only out of fun.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kens ARE ugly. They also fall apart. I like Lowas and Hanwags for hiking, though they don't look much better.

There is sneaker/hiker footwear that will go with the CM Casual look. Chucks, Jack Purcell, Indy Boots, Hiking Chukkas, Etc.

inlandisland

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics