1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

+1. The fit is marvelous.

2. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I thought it was too low. Makes you look a little distorted and bottom-heavy.

3. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

I agree. I've made the mistake of taking pictures from a low vantage point, and discarded them once I viewed them on my computer. I find that approximately neck height makes for the best photos - so if you're going to set the camera down with a self-timer, at least find some kind of ledge or shelf.

Viewing pictures of yourself on your computer is very helpful in general though, I find it often reveals much more than just looking in the mirror. Similar to how your voice sounds so different if you record yourself and then play it back. In this case, I realized once looking at it on my computer that my sweater is a size to big for me - then again it was a gift, so I guess perfect sizing can't be expected. Almost SW&D, well it does involve the &D part, but with the button up shirt, I think I can still stick it in here.

[​IMG]
    (Shirt is yellow, socks blue)

4. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Was going to comment on the sweater, but you've said it yourself. May I recommend Land's End Canvas v-neck sweaters for a nice trim fit? Size down and you're good to go. I also found H&M sweaters to be a very good fit. However, the quality is obviously not stellar (although acceptable).

5. D Yizz

D Yizz Well-Known Member

Or, drop it on the dryer as I did by mistake, and end up with an action figure sized sweater..... :D

6. D Yizz

D Yizz Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

Getting some great inspiration and learning a few things from this thread. Primarily that I need to lose a bunch of weight before I can post my fit pictures here. :(

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I like this fit. My initial reaction was that it was baggy, but it does looks relaxed and comfortable and that quality is usually quickly overlooked in favor of a more fitted ensemble. Like acecow said, you could slim down the sweater but I like it nonetheless.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

10. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

You don't have to. Nobody is looking for models/clones in here.
    Show with clothing that fits and flatters your figure and you'll be fine.
    I, myself, have been comfirming recently that, contrary to tendency to wear blousy clothes when you're overweight, fitted (not undersized) clothing fits you more. So, although I've gained some weight, people keeps asking if I've loose some.
    Well... I'm not a veteran but I say: you're welcome here.

P.D.: I just realized that you have more posts than I, so I don't think you need this but, anyway, it's said.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  11. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

A problem that IMO keeps cropping up in this thread is the shoehorning of business/work elements into casual fits, where they just... do not work.

Many members look like they tried to re-use parts of their work wardrobe in casual fits, or simply swapped out the colours of items in their ensemble, or worse, tried removing/modifiying a single element of a MC work fit in an attempt to 'casualise' it.

You have a fit with a navy jacket that for all intents and purposes looks CBD workwear paired with... 'fun' belt and faded jeans. And then there are multiple examples of shirt wih sleeves left unrolled and collars buttoned up to -1, looking like you've lost your jacket somewhere along the way. And then a CBD-which-has-lost-it's-way look, complete with balmoral shoe and worsted wool trou. And then there is that 'motorcycle' casual look, which has been forever seared into my retinas and which I swear I have seen before at Zara... in the women's section. :embar:

gshen IMO does a more than decent job - clothes are casual, style is casual, accessories are casual, colours are casual. Everything gels.

Just my 0.02

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

?
    Ok, just jeans, a polo and loafers... but I though we agree this gonna be "smart" or "business" casual, too.

[​IMG]

13. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

+1, I have given up on trying to wear jeans with SCs. I have seen it done well on like 1% of the occasions it is done. I have stopped trying to be that 1%.

14. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

First thing that came to my mind when I saw this sorry crew.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

The worst offense MCer do is when they have basically swap their dress slacks for raw jeans and now call this casual. If you're wearing a big ass tie, some stiff collared dress shirt, a blazer and some dress shoes you're not casual, you're confused.

16. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

+1

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dress shirt: Prada
    Belt: Levi
    Jeans: Dior Homme
    Shoes: Georg Materna

18. Pembers

Pembers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is everyone's opinion on this, for a ridiculously cold July day? I think the jumper fits me less wel than I had thought before taking a photo of it.

19. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

This strikes me as more SWD than MC Casual, particularly given the overall baggy appearance.

20. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

I like the idea of this thread, but page 11 alone shows the dangers of trying to find a middle ground between Apropos' comments regarding business wear with one item changed, and pics that really belong on SW&D.