1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i too was a fran of citan. :)

2. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

It was explained to me at hebrew school that choks are choks, and there's a danger in trying to explain them. If you have a specific 'reason' why you think it's being prescribed, then when you resolve that reason you might think you've resolved the chok. There doesn't have to be an explanation for why it's a rule. Most of the talmud as I understand it is explanations of how something will happen/be applied, not whether or not it makes sense to follow the rule.

all that being said, I heard an interesting explanation for the wool-linen one. It's the Cain-Able story. The original hebrew talks about how Able gave the FIRST of his flock while Cain gave SOME of his crop, as sacrifices. The commentaries say it's an important distinction because Able recognized that everything belonged to god (example hadam whoo ha nefesh, the blood is the soul which belongs to god so it's drained from the meat because man is only entitled to the flesh), so Able gave the best of what he had as a true sacrifice, while Cain was arrogant and only gave the leftovers of his harvest that he had no use for anyway, which is why god accepted Able's offering and not Cains. And Cain was angry and killed his brother. One was good, one was evil. One was a sheppard (wool), one was a farmer (flax->linen). So symbolically we never mix the good and evil together.

eh, it's a fun story and one of only a few things I even remember from those days.
    Not looking for any sort of religious debate, just sharing.

3 people like this.
  4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff, MC.

Blue pants Thursday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  5. in stitches

excellent look, CD.

MC, i never heard that p'shat, but its nice.

6. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Casual Friday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vest: Corneliani
    Shirt: house brand from some store in Florence
    Jeans: Jacob Cohen
    Belt: Berluti
    Shoes: C&J

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    11 people like this.
  7. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Well-Known Member

Hey, been reading SF for a while now and just registered, cause I gotta ask for the deets on that jacket. Love it.

8. Cotton Dockers

Thanks! It's a Polo (by Corneliani), silk/linen mix, unstructred/skeleton lined, half belted back with triple patch bellows pockets. Got it from fellow thrifter and all around good guy @ATLjon .

9. in stitches

thats real nice, euro. i like your casual game a lot.

1 person likes this.
  10. europrep

[​IMG]

11. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

12. Cotton Dockers

@DonCologne - I think the sweater and coat are a little too close in brightness and coloring. Maybe go with one or the other? Beautiful shoes -compliments!

4 people like this.
  13. Master-Classter

^ agreed, I think the sweater color and jacket look too close. If the jacke is actually more like brown then I think it's ok but in the picture it looks more orange. So orange jacket and red sweater clashes. Either way overall, I think it's a good start to working with good fits first, then solid neutral color blocks, and eventually patterns and brighter colors. A neutral plain navy sweater for example would have brought it all together.

1 person likes this.
  14. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

@europrep - awesome...

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Unfortunately "Formal Friday" wasn't in the cards for me today. Not sure where this goes so I'm gonna put it here. As always, feedback welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put this entire outfit together based on the idea of colored shoelaces. In another thread we had discussed the use of colored/contrast laces and I feel that all too often they are used in an incoherent way, sort of tacked on. They end up drawing too much attention to themselves. My goal here was to put together an outfit that made colored laces feel "at home".

I wasn't sure about the square here. I had trouble finding a square that contrasted properly with the jacket, but also matched the vibe of the rest of the outfit. This cotton one with frayed edges felt like it did both, but it introduced a new color. I was unsure if it took away due to that. My hope was that the white in it tied well to the shirt to make it feel coherent.

11 people like this.
  16. europrep

@NOBD always the best camera angles.

1 person likes this.
  17. Master-Classter

edit - didn't even read what he wrote, just typed this up.

IMO, and I realize this is sounding repetitive, Breformed has done it the way I personally like, which is there's a fun element there (red pants and even laces), but the rest of it is neutral and restrained (white shirt, beige sportscoat). The obvious thought can be seen with the shoes still matching the jacket, which means it was planned a bit, and implies he has enough items in rotation to be able to make that sort of common color pairing, and lastly, understands not to put the same color next to each other, so the beige literally caps off (top and bottom) the look. The non matching, yet similar belt and shoes, also show another level of understanding in the 'rules' because it's not chumpy (always match!) but also not so dissimilar that it would imply he didn't know of the rule or just recklessly disregards it. The (grey?) pocket square is also an excellent touch. Again, a nod to the 'rules' and formality of the shirt, sportscoat, etc, but loose ragged edges are consistent with the business casual nature of it all. and of course, most important, everything is well fitted, clean, neat, and looks comfortable. To me this looks like each item was chosen carefully, then assembled with intelligence, and then worn altogether with ease. It's what I hope to accomplish every time I shop or get dressed.

my only nitpicks here are the pear shaped hips, which could just be camera angle, or loose around the waist (double vents?), and the sportscoat is a tad long for modern tastes, though not out of the ordinary. The striped socks also are fine, but I think between the red pants and red shoe laces, the socks are starting to add that 'I put everything I had with this color together at once' vibe. It's not there yet, but close. I liked it more without the socks, but still overall very very good IMO.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

The sun calls for boat shoes today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sartoria Correale Cotton Blazer, Kamakura Chambray, Equus belt, Rugby Chinos, Sebago

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    7 people like this.
  19. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Lovely Sportcoat, there's a couple identical on ebay, but unfortunately not my size :brick:

20. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Yay or Nay? Just experimenting? Is the jacket disco or CM?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.