1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

Most of the things that CM posters fetishize to some extent could be seen as trendy and/or fads. Let's not act like we are above that. Last time I checked Spalla Camicia is only a "standard" in certain parts of Italy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

the decision about what is timeless and what is a fad, is a heartless, fickle and cruel one. but someone has to make it, tira. someone has to make it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

That is fine... As long as CM folks realize that they themselves are within that cycle we can all live together in harmony

1 person likes this.
  4. RockyTop

RockyTop Well-Known Member

If people like what they wear I guess that's really all that matters. But for the sake of discussion it's just curious to me how anyone can critique fit if it varies so greatly. If trouser length is appropriate anywhere from the a certain point near the heel to a couple inches above the ankle, then couldn't the same hold true for the sleeve length of a suit for example? Does anywhere from an inch or two below the wrist to an inch or so above be just as appropriate assuming the wearer enjoys it that way?

5. in stitches

it all has to fit together. if he was presenting a more standard/classic fit, and his pants were that short, it would be laughable. in SWD, longer jacket sleeves are encouraged as a matter of fact, but it all has to be consistent with the general vibe and fit.

there are many appropriate lengths for pants or jackets, and many other clothing details that have allowable variances. and how one employs those variances correctly, based on their body type, and on their style as a whole, is what matters. enjoying the variance is not a good enough reason, it has to be properly employed to be exempt from incorrect critiquing.

in the case of the fit at hand, all the items, and the way they fit, were coherent and on point. now, its not a look that most people here favor, but to critique that fit by saying the hem is too short, is to ignore/miss the entire concept of the fit. which is wrong. to say however, that is not a style that i personally enjoy, that is well within everyones right.

1 person likes this.
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I think there's less consensus on trouser and sleeve length than time on StyleForum would lead us to believe, and what consensus there is contingent on other aspects of fit. On narrow trousers, hemming for much longer than just kissing the shoes would result in stacking. Hemming a wider leg to that same kissing length will look like high-waters.

1 person likes this.
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Uncle Bruce explains it all:

via Ivy Style via Put This On

4 people like this.
  8. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

What's the fancy on Capri pants and how are they MC casual?

9. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

Yes, of course, I meant a formal outfit. And, yes, it is formal. If he was wearing chinos and a polo shirt or jeans and a casual shirt, even, he could rock something along those lines (even if I wouldn't do it myself). With wool trousers (or so they look like), it looks so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so wrong.

I think it's made worse by the horrid, forced Elvis Costello toe-to-toe pose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

^ the fit in question that started this whole debate was NOT a formal outfit. The dude sells clothes at a small shop in NYC, he was not going to a board meeting in that outfit. Understand the difference?

1 person likes this.
  11. RockyTop

I understand his outfit is a particular "style" and probably adheres to the "rules" of that style. I was just somewhat surprised that type of style, often championed by the likes of GQ/#menswear was embraced here at CM.

12. RockyTop

I agree with this. As for me, I'm not one that gets hung up on strict rules though. Not to say that I don't try to fall within a reasonable parameter but I don't obsess over exact trouser length or amount of break, etc. But I do take notice when something falls out of a, imo, reasonable parameter, like trousers dragging the ground or above the ankle.

That said, I understand the look in question is a particular style like I mentioned in my previous post. I just never consider that style to be CM, whether formal or casual. Although I do realize it is a rather popular trend in #menswear.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. Racing Green

Racing Green Well-Known Member

I'm much more of a lurker than an actual poster (and a big fan of MC Casual) but I have to chime in here and say that the objections to Matt's fit are exactly why SW&D thinks MC is full of young fogeys, 'classic style' BS, daft rules and is generally conservative to the point of parody. For the most part it's not but I can see why one would think that.

2 people like this.
  14. RockyTop

Get off my lawn!

1 person likes this.
  15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

+1

16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

RRL officer chinos..

[​IMG]

17. in stitches

i would not say that style is championed here. how many fits like that do you see posted here? there are a few who adhere to that style, most dont do a great job, matt did. thats pretty much it.

--

alex, if your definition of dress pants is simply that they are wool, there really is no point in this discussion.

1 person likes this.
  18. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

MC Casual, Appalatcha style, lolols..

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

This. Most people actually said they would not wear this look but agree that he did a good job in what he was going for. Also agreed on your last point. Just because pants are wool does not automatically make them formal.

1 person likes this.
  20. RockyTop

Sounds like we're all in agreement.

1 person likes this.