1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

I'm glad disagreement with the clunky shoe and slim/short pant aesthetic causes such amusement.

2. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Actually, the pants weren't so slim. He said 8.5" opening, which is pretty normal. Even more so, they should be let out. Wider pants look ridiculous when they're short. Only skinny pants can look good with zero break.

3. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

I agree that wider pants look ridiculous when they're short. I also agree his pant leg opening isn't that small. My point (and evidently I didn't get toasty's joke) is that the shoe looks clunkier with less fabric covering it. As others (including you, I think) have said, it would probably look fine under denim (just not short and skinny denim).

4. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I missed the joke too, it's some "swd" lingo that is apparently making fun of us old farts who adhere to silly things like proportions instead of what's fashionable. I wouldn't worry about it. If he thinks he's dressed well - so be it. You've gotta be comfortable in what you're wearing, that's the most important thing in the end of the day.

5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Nope.

6. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

In that case, would you be so kind to explain it? If it's funny, I'd like to share in the laugh.

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

there is no secret lingo here. the amusement is everyone being too fucking stuck up and up tight to realize that toastys post was a fucking parody. the subsequent posts and dissection of his post only proved his point. what a fucking mess. for shame people.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  8. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I get that, but what he said was correct, even as a parody. So I'm somewhat confused. The shoes are still too clunky for that outfit in my opinion.

9. in stitches

10. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

:(

1 person likes this.
  11. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

It's the anal attention to detail that toasty's making fun of. In this case, it's not that his breathless hyperbole is suggesting anyone is wrong regarding the details—he's simply making fun of the extremely fine attention to detail, which (as you may have noticed), carries with it a tendency to engage in drawn-out arguments of tremendous intensity with tremendously little at stake. There, I've now explained how a parody works; I've slayed the albatross; it has lost its potency; and now you know how Lost ends.

9 people like this.
  12. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, it's a forum about clothing. You have to go into details. Plus, it all started with very little detail, merely stating that his shoes were clunky. He disagreed. People like to argue about clothing here, so some of us tried to explain in detail why we thought it was so. I'm not sure why others got their panties in a bunch over this.

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

See, Stitchy, this is why SW&D and MC will never get along. We're not even speaking the same language.

3 people like this.
  14. in stitches

it makes me mad. its to everyones loss.

15. StanleyVanBuren

for fuck's sake people

it looks like stitches might not have even gotten the actual joke -- everyone needs to read my B&S post for my legendary wingtips right now before you say anything else. it's right here in my signature:

16. sugarbutch

Au contraire, mon frère. It seems clear that the majority here like the apartheid. Me, I appreciate nice clothes worn well, so I enjoy the cross-pollination, but it doesn't seem to scale.

17. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

yeah
    size 40/50R

if i remember correctly, the finamore jacket was tight in the arms and chest
    okay in the shoulder
    and slightly short

18. sugarbutch

That's an excellent B&S ad, SVB.

2 people like this.
  19. in stitches

did not need to see that thread to get the joak. but i did just read that, and it is golden.

indeed, most do prefer the apartheid. i still hold by my word though that its not a net gain.

20. StanleyVanBuren

2 people like this.