1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Looking at teger's fit again, since it has garnered its fair share of vitriol - I do think that the jacket fit is subpar, and the shoes are too clunky, as I mentioned in SWD.The buttoning point of the jacket high, and the way the lapel bow, and the way the jacket makes an X at the buttoning point, are both signs that it doesn't fit well. The pants could use another inch - they still wouldn't break. Right now, they are bordering on Thom Browne level length. If that's the look you want, cool - but I'm not sure it is. The color palette is great, though - and it's much easier to fix fit than it is a bad sense of color/taste.

2. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

isn't the standard for no break just touching the top of the shoe? there's no visible sock between the top of the shoe and the hem of the pants. i agree the jacket isn't great. the biggest issue is that it's completely unlined (no interior pockets even), so not only does it wrinkle at the drop of the hat, it has no padding to give it any sort of structure in the chest, or achieve any sort of fit balance. it doesn't even have a canvas, it's literally just a piece of fabric, seamed into the shape of a jacket. more similar to a cardigan than a sportcoat. it would be much improved if it was half lined, which would clean up the lines in the front. it's not actually pulling at the button (there's extra fabric in the chest in back), but rather there's a wrinkle running along side the lapel where the lapel curve was ironed in -- it's mitigated on one side by the structure of the chest pocket.

it's a poorly designed, cheap jacket that i bought for $90 on yoox. so it goes.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  3. Mr. Moo

Is that what's happening? If so, forget the extra inch. I would say that Bill's pants fit really, really well - there is a hint of break, but I bet it would disappear if he straightened his legs a bit more. That's perfect pants fit, IMO.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I agree, his pants fit fantastically. I wish I could achieve that look, but that's the difference between $40 otr and bespoke.

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

tegs, look at voxs pic. there is a teeny tiny break. that is optimal imo.

having literally no break and not being #menswear short is a magical trousers nirvana that one can only dream of, and once in a while, pants do come out that way. unless you are vox, then it can happen to you all the time. though what shoes you are wearing and where on your waist your pants are, and how you are standing do factor in. either way, its really effing hard to accomplish.

its better, imo, to err on the side of having a lil break, than being too short. at least from an MC perspective, i understand that in SWD that is not always the case.

as to your shoes, looking at them alone, they are not clunky like the pic of that hideous black shoe you used as an example. however, paired with all the slimmer items you are wearing, i can see why comparatively, people would think they give off a clunky-ish vibe. they are more bulbous than anything else you are wearing. combined with camera angle, thats is what is going on imo.

6. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Don't be delusional about our "history". I don't care about you. You live on this forum and take all of it seriously, while I only post in 2-3 threads twice a week. This is one of the threads I post in. Given how I started it a while back, it must be interesting to me, right? I wasn't trolling you with advice, it was genuine. Although, I will admit that I like to poke fun at you from time to time since you're so easily agitated.

Your shoes are very nice and I commend you on the negative break pants. But everything is good in moderation and since you wear this to work, certain rules apply. Most importantly your pants are too short, people will notice. The fit of the jacket is just okay for the real world, as are the shoes. Both could be vastly improved by MC standards. If you don't want to hear our advice, don't post here.

7. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

This post is a joke right?

you trolling correct?

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

yea, i definitely like to err on the less break than more. just wait til i start wearing loafer socks.

i actually don't think the pants are that slim, 8.5" hem and straight from the knee down. i'll try to take a better picture where the proportions are clearer.

9. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I'll outclunk your clunky shoes:

[​IMG]

(but seriously, all 3 are too clunky for your outfit, I'm being 100% honest here, I really do think so)

10. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Go, Moo! :lol:

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

From a photoshoot for YHNT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Seriously??? I love all but your recent stuff. The camo fits are abominations in my mind.

13. Mr. Moo

Erghm, that's not me. :uhoh:

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

jesus christ.

i changed into a pair of navy pants - again my color issue - but they are identical in every way to the tan pants.

[​IMG]

neither too short nor too clunky.

15. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty good w/ the crepe sole, too.

3 people like this.
  16. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Most people would have closed the cupboard door first.

Good to finally see someone who has his priorities straight.

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

BTW I like the shoes / trousers are too short.

1 person likes this.
  18. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

the muffin tray is an integral part of the experience, along with my stained (yet 110 year old) wood floors.

19. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Let's have some tea with muffins and be best friends forever.

20. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

you have to provide muffin liners, as i am out.