1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

HF - i like both fits. especially the shoes in the second one.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I quite like it. It's a very stylised (as opposed to more everyday) look, and works within those boundaries.

Thanks. They're suede chukkas from Ferragamo and have a really soft/padded top, where they hug the calf. Most chukkas don't have that, but it makes these really comfy to wear. I wear them a lot and am not looking forward to the day they finally give way.

Was this for my pics? If so, there's not enough inseam to properly turn those jeans up. I can see that looking good in theory though, yeah.

3. Jonsey

Jonsey Member

Thanks! You're right it was a stylised look, as I was playing with my band on stage minutes after. Outside. Minus 6 degrees Celsius. Stiff fingers!

1 person likes this.
  4. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

If you had worn the chukkas in the first picture it would have been the fuzziest fit ever. Perhaps too much of a good thing. :) I like your second fit much better.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Hold...,

I love the sport coat. Store, brand please and how heavy is it? Thanks, Larry

6. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

Holdfast, no, I meant shirt cuffs! :p

7. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

My first try....tame by SF standards but hey...feel free to rip me to shreds, I can take it...don't know how to blur out my ugly mug...sorry bout that

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Vintage SC
    Some plain ole white shirt I picked up at the thrift store
    346 Sweater
    Nameless thrifted tie
    Citizens of Humanity Jeans
    AE Sanford Shoes
    Ray Ban Glasses

2 people like this.
  8. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

The first fit reminded me of Minder. Given the nostalgia it evoked, that is a compliment, I can assure you. Can you sing the feem toon?
    [​IMG]

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's exactly why I wore regular calf leather with it instead. Needed something shiny instead of more fuzzy stuff. I have worn that jacket at the same time as the suede chukkas and usually regretted it for precisely that reason.

I used to watch Minder pretty regularly; I reckon I could do a passable rendition of the theme! :D

Arthur Daley had pretty natty outfits, especially that light brown chesterfield overcoat paired with dark brown narrow brim trilby. ;)

Thanks Larry. It was made for me by Ede & Ravenscroft, using a Holland & Sherry cloth from their Sherry Tweed II book. I can't remember the exact weight, but I think it was somewhere around 14oz, give or take. In the UK, it's good from about late September/early October through to about late April/early May. If our current freezing cold weather continues, maybe it will never be put away... ;)

Oh, right; I'm become too Americanised from reading this board, assuming the word cuffs meant turn-ups. :)

I've settled on this jacket sleeve length as being what I like. Shorter ones show more cuff when standing still, but I don't like how much they reveal when you bend your arms. On this jacket, they're about the same length as the shirt sleeves, showing just the barest sliver of shirt cuff if I was to stand perfectly properly, facing the camera. This is how I've been getting all my new stuff over the past 2-3 years. Some of my older stuff tends to show a phase where I got a quarter inch or even more showing instead, but I'm not fond of that anymore. Not very SF of me, I know, but there you go.

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

This is the sort of independent thinking which is ruining this forvm.

2 people like this.
  11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While the calendar says "Spring", the temperature says "wool". This sweater (Black Sheep LTD from the UK) is the most woolly thing I've ever seen. It has a natural colored wool and is very roomy. Trousers are charcoal tweed by Epaulet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    3 people like this.
  12. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    if you were looking for a pair of navy suede casual shoes, which would you go for? the wingtip or the bucks?
    both have the same brick sole

13. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

^I prefer the Wingtip.

14. XKxRome0ox

initially i did as well (prefer the wingtip)
    but i have several other wingtips .. so i was thinking bucks..
    and then i just saw these
    [​IMG]
    navy suede longwing bucks from land's end
    i prefer the longwing to the wingtip + these are much cheaper
    may have to grab them instead

2 people like this.
  15. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

^^ I prefer the buck. But, I'll admit I'm biased and like very few wingtips.

On edit: I was posting my response as you posted the longwing.

All things being equal, I'd probably go with the longwing. Since I already have a casual longwing (and am not a fan of wingtips), I'd personally still go with the buck.

I've actually got my eyes open for a pair of plain toe bluchers (not bucks) in navy suede.

16. Dewi

Dewi Well-Known Member

I'd go for the bucks. I like the wingtips, but I think I'd wear the bucks more.

17. XKxRome0ox

what makes bucks bucks?
    like if i saw PTB in navy suede, i'd think they are navy suede bucks .. and vice versa

18. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

I don't like brogueing, so I would say bucks.

19. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Agree

20. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member